No Webcam or Capture Card? Got a Canon Camera? You got a webcam

ThePointblank

In these times, it's incredibly difficult to get a decent webcam, or even a capture card, as everyone seems to be sold out right now.

Canon just dropped a new, free software utility, which would allow you to use certain Canon ILC or Powershot series camera as a high quality webcam via USB. No capture card required.

The catch is that the software is in beta, it's only available for Windows 10 x64, and support is limited to those in the USA.

From TechRadar:

https://www.techradar.com/news/canon-releases-free-software-that-turns-some-of-its-cameras-into-webcams

Canon USA has just released new software that may help some users overcome the global webcam shortage caused by an increase in demand due to Covid-19.

In fact, the lockdown rules in most countries have also increased our dependency on video calls for personal reasons as well – whether via Zoom, Skype or Google Hangouts – and for many who already own a webcam, the video quality may not be up to scratch, especially in low light.

While it's possible to set up a camera you own to double as a webcam, it does require additional hardware and, in some cases, third-party software that you'll need to pay for.

The utility is here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-webcam-utility/

Canon USA has a video on it:

What's strange to me, is that this isn't a default feature for every camera.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

cool but I only see 1/3 cameras I have supported.

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

this is canon who takes firmware and giving useful features as only expensive cine/pro cameras deserve it.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Or you can do like me
I use the live feed from my camera on desktop with Xsplit screen capture.

Works great.

Though I guess actual software is better, finally xD 

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

48 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

There are many apps that let you stream camera capture from Android phone to a PC

Most of them are shit, though. I haven't yet found one that's actually good quality and does the video-encoding using hardware -- all the ones I found did it in software, causing the phone to run really hot and consuming the battery in an instant.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Is this going to cause issues with the sensor over time? I recall my GF's Nikon having some time limits for shooting in 1080 and 4K which weren't just frame buffer but also, I thought, sensor on time limits?

20 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Is this going to cause issues with the sensor over time? I recall my GF's Nikon having some time limits for shooting in 1080 and 4K which weren't just frame buffer but also, I thought, sensor on time limits?

most cameras have shutter count and then active hours.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

It was weird as I have some GoPros and I thought why not use them as a webcam as they are small and nimble - however not natively supported at all! 

22 minutes ago, Bitter said:

The shooting time limits are in place for a completely arbitrary reason; taxation.

Cameras that can record over 30 minutes of video are charged a different rate of duty from than cameras that can't; the EU has a rule in place where cameras that can record 30 minutes of video are charged anywhere from 5-12% of the value of the goods in duty. Thus, many camera manufacturers have implemented this limit as a way to avoid the 5-12% tax on cameras in Europe. Were these companies to allow their cameras to record longer, they’d need to increase the cost of the cameras.

16 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

I have seen some streamers use more powerful dedicated cameras as their webcam and guess what? They also run really hot and consume lots of power. Often to the point of thermal shut down mid stream. Not that the user would be concerned because he/she wont be actively holding onto it.

Irrelevant. I was talking about phones, not DSLR-cameras.

17 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

And I'd like to see a home-use webcam that wont run into battery issues when not plugged into power. Well, there are none. Because webcams are plugged in all the time. Would a phone have battery issues when used in the same setting? No

There are use-cases where one might wish to use the phone without being plugged in and using HW-encoding instead of SW-encoding would prolong the battery-life, thereby making it more feasible to do.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Still, who would be actively holding onto the recording device to call it a webcam?

I don't understand, I never said anything about anyone holding the device.

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Uses cases that fall out of the scope of being a webcam?

Plenty of people use webcams to e.g. stream themselves making stuff at home and occasionally have to move the camera to get a better view of what they're doing, then move it back.

6 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

I am not trying to say Canon is doing something silly here

I don't care, I didn't say anything about Canon or what they did.

Would love to have this with my Sony A6500 although mine would probably have heat issues if I streamed for hours anyways. I really wanted to try streaming with it but good capture cards are expensive. I wish these software was a basic feature, for once Canon is doing something innovative. 

Just now, huilun02 said:

You talked about heat, which would be a concern if the user was holding the device

It's a concern regardless, since phones tend to throttle when they get hot. Throttling might cause it to start dropping frames or crash completely, like e.g. one of my phones cannot sustain 1080p60 because of that for long. So yes, it definitely is a concern regardless.

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

And how would a phone that is plugged in, be any different from the webcams that people are already using?

If anything, the battery in the phone allows it to continue functioning while being moved. Is this not a good thing?

You have completely misunderstood something.

1 hour ago, ThePointblank said:

The shooting time limits are in place for a completely arbitrary reason; taxation.

Cameras that can record over 30 minutes of video are charged a different rate of duty from than cameras that can't; the EU has a rule in place where cameras that can record 30 minutes of video are charged anywhere from 5-12% of the value of the goods in duty. Thus, many camera manufacturers have implemented this limit as a way to avoid the 5-12% tax on cameras in Europe. Were these companies to allow their cameras to record longer, they’d need to increase the cost of the cameras.

Though I may add, first off never heard of that so I researched and it is partially true, the non true part is that it still exists and was solely a import duty/tariff. The taxation then is the responsibility of the countries, in case of germany there are only two main classes: general tax with 19% on most of the goods and 7% on food, but no exception that I'm aware of on cameras, no matter how long they can record. What I have found out is that this duty practice should have ended mid last year, but in my short research i only found sparse sources in general about this topic

Edit: I tried the tariff calculator of the eu for photographic and cinematographic cameras, no difference I can tell in duties

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

3 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

cool but I only see 1/3 cameras I have supported.

this is canon who takes firmware and giving useful features as only expensive cine/pro cameras deserve it.

Blegh, my Powershot G7X mkii is not supported, but the mkiii is. -_-

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Great to hear they are offering this!  You can easily pay upwards of $100 for a device to do this from a well-known brand, and that's assuming you can even find it in stock, so to get that feature for free is fantastic.  I can only hope they eventually add more models to the supported list, and that other companies will also do the same.  I always assumed that the reason cameras generally didn't have this feature built in was that it was a niche thing that would require additional hardware and thus not worth baking into every unit.  The fact that they can add this with firmware/software updates is very interesting to me.  Does this not require special hardware in the camera?  Or, does it require hardware that they have included for years now and just left dormant?  This is odd to me and I'd like to know why wasn't this offered from the start on every camera that could do it.  The part about being only available to users in the US is even more strange.  I can only guess that the models they sold there are perhaps different than the ones sold elsewhere and that's the differentiating factor, not your actual physical location since that's completely arbitrary and unrelated to your ability to update firmware or use software.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, WereCatf said:

It's a concern regardless, since phones tend to throttle when they get hot. Throttling might cause it to start dropping frames or crash completely, like e.g. one of my phones cannot sustain 1080p60 because of that for long. So yes, it definitely is a concern regardless.

You have completely misunderstood something.

This uses hardware encoding:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shenyaocn.android.WebCam&hl=en_US

It's a touch grainy though, and i'm not sure about framerates

(I'm using a Pixel 3a)

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

3 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Most of them are shit, though. I haven't yet found one that's actually good quality and does the video-encoding using hardware -- all the ones I found did it in software, causing the phone to run really hot and consuming the battery in an instant.

This one works for me:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pas.webcam

Good quality, low latency, works with phone screen off, must use HW encoding since the phone doesn't heat up much, can manually set/freeze focus, lots of configurability from webpage. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Not really a big thing. AFAIK all of the supported cameras already have the function to stream their screen through their video port and now they just allowed that through the USB. It would be a lot bigger if Canon was to expand this to cameras that cannot do this with official firmware but that would go so much against Canons way of doing business by limiting "working" features out of cameras just because they aren't pro- or prosumer-lineups (*cough cough*CHDK*cough cough*).

It not needing capture card is kind of neat. But then again we are talking about Canon here so the question is: How many cameras outside of the support could use this feature if Canon wouldn't intentionally cripple them in the first place?

-Guy who once used Canon PowerShot SX200IS as a webcam through EOS software back then

2 hours ago, Thaldor said:

Not really a big thing. AFAIK all of the supported cameras already have the function to stream their screen through their video port and now they just allowed that through the USB. It would be a lot bigger if Canon was to expand this to cameras that cannot do this with official firmware

Firmware won't make a lick of difference if the USB port on the camera doesn't have access to the image processor feed.  And that's the key point: A) does the camera in question even have a USB port?  And B) does that USB port have access to a feed from the image processor?  If the answer to either of those is "No", then there's no firmware that can change it.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

What how is this news I've do this with a camera over a decade ago. I don't understand how people didn't know this.

Becasue during this decade models have been released without that feature maybe?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just tried it with a DSLR, noticeable increase in video quality regarding colours and lighting when using Zoom compared to even the Iphone 11 Pro. Limited to some extent because the utility doesn't use the camera's microphone, so you will still need one, but that's a moot point because the camera's mic would go into a feedback loop anyway with the system audio. Thumbs up for Canon though, it's very easy to use and set up. 

Yeah, I can sort of foresee using my X-T3 with an Elgato while the 50-140mm is attached alongside some Aputure lighting.

Overkill? Ohhhhh yeah.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1