How does Windows 10 network permissions work?

orangecat

So for ages now I've been trying to figure out how to share files and folder across my home network but I haven't been able to figure it out. I turn on stuff like network discovery and under network in file explorer I will see the name of the PC I want to connect to but when I click on it Windows asks me for a login/credentials. I am signed in to my Microsoft account on both PCs but I have no idea what I'm supposed to type. Do i put my user name as it spelled in Windows? Do i use my microsoft account email address? What password do I need? Microsoft account or Windows pin? Only way I know how to get access to the files is by allowing GUEST user to access files over the network but that seems kinda insecure and improper. I assume I have to let Windows know that there's other PCs on the network that are allowed to connect but I have no idea how to do that and Google searching hasn't worked.

Here's what shows up when i try and connect...
image.png.0216dd30e0fe1d41309efe6bc73839ae.png

I'm not sure what Windows is asking me for as nothing I type works.

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

use the windows account name and password

I did and it doesn't work. I was able ot get it working by creating a local account on both computers with the same name and password but I cant use my main user account.

Make sure to set up a new local or existing Microsoft account, on the computer sharing the files. You can't use the same Microsoft account that is logged in on that computer, took me some time to figure that one out. Doesn't really matter which account you login with anyway, luckily. Anyway, make sure to give this user the proper permissions, then when connecting to this computer use the login credentials for that new user.

I literally just spent the day setting this up my self, I'll make some pictures for you. :) (making them now if needed)

------------------------------------------------------

Edit: I've now added some quick images with step by step, of how to setup the permissions. I hope this helps, hope you guy's don't cringe too hard on my bad choice of names for my rigs. :P Once you've set those up, make sure to login with the correct credentials, and with an account that is not logged in on the computer sharing the files. If the "main" account is not logged in, which is probably the same account you're using on the other computer, you still can't use this to login either. Gives that nasty message saying you have no file access for whatever reason. 🙄

Bonus: Do you see the "Manage" button on the file explorer? Click it and go into "Shared Folders" and have a look at all the useful information available, such as who are connected, which folders/drives are open, what is being shared, how long clients have been connected and you can also disconnect clients here. Quite useful in the long run :) 

Have fun :)

tutorial.png

bonus.png

Edited by Tori1157
Typos. I need sleep.

2 hours ago, Tori1157 said:

Make sure to set up a new local or existing Microsoft account, on the computer sharing the files. You can't use the same Microsoft account that is logged in on that computer

That's definitely not true, both my laptops use the same Microsoft account and I can access shared drives between them fine.

If its not working, it has to be some permissions issue.  I just have it set to allow Everyone in the Advanced Sharing permissions as it will only be open on the firewall when on my home network.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That's definitely not true, both my laptops use the same Microsoft account and I can access shared drives between them fine.

I used to be able too do that too, but not anymore. Spent a good chunk of yesterday troubleshooting this, and using the same account was the issue.

1 minute ago, Tori1157 said:

I used to be able too do that too, but not anymore. Spent a good chunk of yesterday troubleshooting this, and using the same account was the issue.

Is that on the latest update, because that is going to be damn annoying if they changed it?

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

Is that on the latest update, because that is going to be damn annoying if they changed it?

Unfortunately, yes. I'm on the 2004 build version of Windows 10. Hopefully its just a bug, cause it was acting weird.

6 minutes ago, Tori1157 said:

Unfortunately, yes. I'm on the 2004 build version of Windows 10. Hopefully its just a bug, cause it was acting weird.

Isn't 1909 the latest public version though with 2004 an Insider build, where you can expect more bugs?

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

Isn't 1909 the latest public version though with 2004 an Insider build, where you can expect more bugs?

1909 is the current release build and the 2004 is the current preview build. Meaning its already gone through alpha testing, last time i checked it only had one changelog entry 🤔

But yes, can expect more bugs there. Are you on the 1909 build?

7 minutes ago, Tori1157 said:

1909 is the current release build and the 2004 is the current preview build. Meaning its already gone through alpha testing, last time i checked it only had one changelog entry 🤔

But yes, can expect more bugs there. Are you on the 1909 build?

Yes, not the very latest patches though as there are tons of reports of issues with KB4550945.

Version 1909, OS Build is 18363.720 on one PC with 18363.778 on another.

6 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yes, not the very latest patches though as there are tons of reports of issues with KB4550945.

Version 1909, OS Build is 18363.720 on one PC with 18363.778 on another.

Alright, seems like were getting somewhere then. Wonder what build the OP has.

5 hours ago, Tori1157 said:

Alright, seems like were getting somewhere then. Wonder what build the OP has.

Felt brave and updated one of my laptops to the very latest public build 18363.815 (KB4550945).

File sharing still works fine and that laptop has Everyone as read permissions and my Microsoft Account is as below.

Win10_Sharing.png

On 4/29/2020 at 4:30 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Felt brave and updated one of my laptops to the very latest public build 18363.815 (KB4550945).

File sharing still works fine and that laptop has Everyone as read permissions and my Microsoft Account is as below.

Win10_Sharing.png

For whatever reason my computer isn't getting a connection with the shared folders anymore. I can see the shared network but get prompted with login, no matter which credentials i use, i can't get in. I did manage to connect as guest once or twice, that account has the rights to read files, but isn't allowed access.

Weird part is that the sharing computer can't see the computer trying to access the files. I have checked my firewall so many times.

But wait, there's more. There is another computer that can access the files. 

I literally have no idea why this broke, all i did was shut the computer off, go to sleep, and then power it on again the day after. 

It is set as a Private not a Public network, right?  I think you can change it if you select the network icon in the system tray then go to Properties.  If in doubt, temporarily disable the firewall.

10 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

It is set as a Private not a Public network, right?  I think you can change it if you select the network icon in the system tray then go to Properties.  If in doubt, temporarily disable the firewall.

Was going to suggest the same thing. Windows Firewall... Why I prefer a Hardware Firewall. 

On a side note Share Permissions and Folder permissions are two very separate things. Typically for a LAN setting unless you want to restrict access to a shared folder, share permissions you set Everyone to Full Control. And use NTFS permissions to grant or deny access. More control that way, but for home file sharing likely overkill. 

4 hours ago, FitnessOgre said:

Was going to suggest the same thing. Windows Firewall... Why I prefer a Hardware Firewall. 

On a side note Share Permissions and Folder permissions are two very separate things. Typically for a LAN setting unless you want to restrict access to a shared folder, share permissions you set Everyone to Full Control. And use NTFS permissions to grant or deny access. More control that way, but for home file sharing likely overkill. 

Yeah but hardware firewall is to protect the whole LAN, software firewalls is to protect the individual PC particularly if you are connected to an untrusted LAN such as coffee shops.