who else on this forum has almost 0 knowledge about rooting/custom flashing their android phone?

mrchow19910319

I am still really nervous about rooting / custom flashing my cellphone. 

I think I soft bricked my LeEco 2 phone. 

It's just that the whole procedure is too complicated. 

I don;t think I ever found a tutorial that is systematic enough to just set up all the tools one's need when it comes to rooting and unlocking and flashing cutomOS and stuff.

Is there anyone like me? Or is it just me... 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

i had 0 knowledge until i buckled down and just did it.

it's tedious and nerve-wracking, but ultimately it's a simple process if you follow the instructions. TWRP and LineageOS was quite easy to flash  

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Had a similar soft bricking issue when I flashed my LeEco phone. The soft brick occurred when I flashed the Google apps to it. There was some file I was pointed to that needed to be flashed that unborked it. It’s been a few years though so I don’t remember. 

I can see if I still have the file on my drive, though no guarantee that it will work even if I do find it. 

Flashing my old LeEco phone was a horrible PITA. Primarily because the stock ROM kept flashing the stock recovery every time it booted. So I couldn’t go things a step at a time. I had to get the sequence correct at once. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

It definitely takes a lot of reading and patience rather than going with the first site you see

I highly recommend reading on the xda forums for rooting information

https://forum.xda-developers.com/le-2

AMD Ryzen 9 5900x | Gigabyte Aorus Master x570s | Corsair Dominator Platinum (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 | GeForce RTX 3080 VISION OC 10G | Lian iO1Dyamic | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000W | Acer Predator X34 P | Acer XB271HU | NZXT Kraken Z73

I have no knowledge and haven't done it but I can follow linux instructions carefully at least.

I run an iPhone 11 and haven't rooted an adroid device in nearly a decade. Does that count?

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

5 minutes ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

I run an iPhone 11 and haven't rooted an adroid device in nearly a decade. Does that count?

my man! 

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Had a similar soft bricking issue when I flashed my LeEco phone. The soft brick occurred when I flashed the Google apps to it. There was some file I was pointed to that needed to be flashed that unborked it. It’s been a few years though so I don’t remember. 

I can see if I still have the file on my drive, though no guarantee that it will work even if I do find it. 

Flashing my old LeEco phone was a horrible PITA. Primarily because the stock ROM kept flashing the stock recovery every time it booted. So I couldn’t go things a step at a time. I had to get the sequence correct at once. 

Thanks for the offering. Currently I do not have the need to root / change anything on that phone again. What you said reminded me that just to find out a solution for the specific error I had on my LeEco 2 took me months. Yeah, there are dozens of answers on google but none of them worked on my machine. That's what made me quit from this whole "rooting/rom flashing" experience. It is not that I dont know how to follow insturctions online, it is not that I dont have the patient, it is those instructions are often not complete OR they are broken themselves. And plus the fact that after rom flashing you still have a lot of "small" stuff that is not guaranteed to work on your machine. The whole thing is too much hassle.  

1 hour ago, smatts said:

It definitely takes a lot of reading and patience rather than going with the first site you see

I highly recommend reading on the xda forums for rooting information

https://forum.xda-developers.com/le-2

yeah. Tried it when I was trying to fix my machine. Thanks for the recommendation.

13 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

my man! 

Thanks for the offering. Currently I do not have the need to root / change anything on that phone again. What you said reminded me that just to find out a solution for the specific error I had on my LeEco 2 took me months. Yeah, there are dozens of answers on google but none of them worked on my machine. That's what made me quit from this whole "rooting/rom flashing" experience. It is not that I dont know how to follow insturctions online, it is not that I dont have the patient, it is those instructions are often not complete OR they are broken themselves. And plus the fact that after rom flashing you still have a lot of "small" stuff that is not guaranteed to work on your machine. The whole thing is too much hassle.  

I went to the dark side recently partially owing to the many quirks of running a custom rom. Got my iPhone 11 in January and, though iOS certainly isn’t perfect either, hadn’t looked back. 

My eyes see the past…

12 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I went to the dark side recently partially owing to the many quirks of running a custom rom. Got my iPhone 11 in January and, though iOS certainly isn’t perfect either, hadn’t looked back. 

yeah, iOS had been quite smooth since the beginning,. not the mostly feature packed OS, but it is quite nicely polished.

6 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

yeah, iOS had been quite smooth since the beginning,. not the mostly feature packed OS, but it is quite nicely polished.

For the most part it’s smooth, but during the once in a blue moon moment when things fo wrong, it’s kind of like a train wreck. My phone actually hard locked a bit ago. 

My eyes see the past…

5 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

For the most part it’s smooth, but during the once in a blue moon moment when things fo wrong, it’s kind of like a train wreck. My phone actually hard locked a bit ago. 

sorry to hear that. I think I've had a couple of phone freezing incident during the many years of owning multiple iPhones. 

less than 10 actually.

3 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

sorry to hear that. I think I've had a couple of phone freezing incident during the many years of owning multiple iPhones. 

less than 10 actually.

That was the only hard lock I had since I bought it in January, so not terrible. Just a shame the manual didn’t show how to do a hard reset. Pretty much just waited for the battery to die. 😛

My eyes see the past…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

That was the only hard lock I had since I bought it in January, so not terrible. Just a shame the manual didn’t show how to do a hard reset. Pretty much just waited for the battery to die. 😛

wait what? normally in this kind of scenario I would just hold as many button as possible on my iphone and prey to god/budhha that it will do a reboot. 

am  I the only genius in this world? /s

On 4/28/2020 at 3:19 AM, Arika S said:

it's tedious and nerve-wracking, but ultimately it's a simple process if you follow the instructions. TWRP and LineageOS was quite easy to flash  

It's all fun and easy until you try to use the OTA-updater under LineageOS. Every single god damn time I've tried it, it downloads the update just fine and reboots, but then it gets stuck in a bootloop with no other way to fix it than using dd to clear the OTA-partition from the adb command-line ...

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

6 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

wait what? normally in this kind of scenario I would just hold as many button as possible on my iphone and prey to god/budhha that it will do a reboot. 

am  I the only genius in this world? /s

With the 11, you have to press volume up, let go and volume down, then let go and hold the power until you get 🍎

My eyes see the past…

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

It's all fun and easy until you try to use the OTA-updater under LineageOS. Every single god damn time I've tried it, it downloads the update just fine and reboots, but then it gets stuck in a bootloop with no other way to fix it than using dd to clear the OTA-partition from the adb command-line ...

Im out.

tenor.gif.846434f7abaa2192fc95ee96ea5541ed.gif

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

With the 11, you have to press volume up, let go and volume down, then let go and hold the power until you get 🍎

okay this reminded me that there was one time my Nexus 6P got problem and I call the customer support they told me to reboot the device, I did. even before I hang up.......

59 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Pretty certain the devs even explicitly recommend against dirty flashes, especially with major updates. A royal pain in the behind to start fresh every major update. 

My eyes see the past…

9 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Pretty certain the devs even explicitly recommend against dirty flashes, especially with major updates.

Minor updates are fine to install as-is. I just have never been able to use the OTA-updater for it, I've always had to download the update and flash it via TWRP manually. Makes having the OTA-updater pretty stupid, if it only results in a bootloop, IMHO.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

On 4/28/2020 at 2:12 AM, mrchow19910319 said:

It's just that the whole procedure is too complicated.

I also never bothered with it because it is just a hassle and I might brick my phone.