Noctua NT-H1 or Arctic Mx-4

theloveablemoose

Which gives best performance there's only a minimal price difference (£2) both from eBay think they have the same amount but yeah which of two should i buy.

Which gives best performance there's only a minimal price difference (£2) both from eBay think they have the same amount but yeah which of two should i buy.

your within a degree or two.. i personally use mx4 and have for a longggggg time

Noctua... Always Noctua.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

I currently own a Noctua NH-C12P SE14 and I was using NT-H1 for a while but I recently got the Arctic MX-4. From my opinion and experience the MX-4 is easier to apply and it spreads much more evenly. The NT-H1 is good but MX-4 to me seems to perform better probably because of the better spread so its thinner. With the NT-H1 I got 85*c max on my CPU and when I switched to the MX-4 I got now a max of 75*C-80*C depending if I want the fans loud or quiet. Just my opinion and I live in a cold climate.  

I up untill recently have used in this order Arctic silver 5, noctua nt-h1, Ic diamond. and all have been within 7 degrees c

Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

either, they take the least of most to "flow" and cure. won't be disappointed with either choice.

There was a thread recently about thermal pastes and compounds. The MX-4 seemed to be the majority favorite.

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

Both are good enough, though I think the Arctic MX-4 is still a bit better. I have been using one of those for years in all of my systems (PCs and notebooks) and it is definitely my top choice of thermal compound, especially considering it's price compared to something like IC Diamond. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

MX-2 is cheaper does the same job .

Plus if it's not as good you may get a benefit in winter with the cooler blowing warmer air into your work space .

I am using NT-H1 since it is on the market...

never failed me and always awesome temps

been using nt-h1with my h220 for more than a year now...never gave me temp problems

These 2 in particular are so close and are alot the same type of paste it wont really matter either way.  Mx 4

does tend to not dry as fast but we are talking a long time.  So I am not sure it should be a factor.

I used to use the noctua paste since it came with my d14 se2011.

lately I'm using the tuniq tx4 and seems good.

the noctua one ain't so bad give or take 1-2 degree difference.

Live your life like a dream.

Between the two of them, go with Noctua.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

• 1 year later...

MX-2 is cheaper does the same job .

Plus if it's not as good you may get a benefit in winter with the cooler blowing warmer air into your work space .

Of course not. The heat generated should be about the same unless the processor clock down from being over-heated of course. The difference is in how much heat reaches the cooler :) (and how quickly.)

Both are high quality TIMs, honestly, either, i don't think you can see an actual difference once you are using high end TIMs, recently i had to buy some and i got Zalman STG2 and its no different from arctic silver 5. Look at this article, it's old but the point it makes it's still valid

http://archive.benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=62

Basically my reasoning is get anything in the top tier at a decent price and that it doesnt have any weird complications (Like liquid metal)        

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10