"Google announces Project Tango, a smartphone that can map the world around it"

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/20/5430784/project-tango-google-prototype-smartphone-announced

http://www.google.com/atap/projecttango/

Untitled_large_verge_medium_landscape.jp

Google has built a prototype Android smartphone that can learn and map the world around it. The device comes from a new initiative called Project Tango, and it's ready to get the phone into developers' hands to see what the technology is capable of. Google says that the phone will learn the dimension of rooms and spaces just by being moved around inside of them — walking around your bedroom, for example, would help the phone learn the shape of your home. The hope is that by creating a robust map of the world, Google's phone could eventually give precise directions to any given point that needs to be reached.

So here's what I got from this: Google wants to beef up their Map service, but they know that they can't do it alone, so they're having us help them, which I don't necessarily mind doing. I mean, precise directions from location X to location Y? That's the whole point of Maps, so this is just a way to make it even better. Oh, and think of all of the AR gaming possibilities with this...

As of right now, this is just a prototype phone, so it's not like it's an app or something, which is interesting, because it could be, at least I think it could be. I dunno. Maybe whatever technology Google is using in Project Tango will be implemented on other phones in the future. 

So what do you think about this?

COMIC SANS

Haha, I think we all saw the video at the same time.

I'll go and remove my post.  ^_^

Case = Bitfenix Prodigy, Motherboard = P8Z77 - I Deluxe, CPU = 3570k @ 4.2GHz, RAM = 2x 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws, GPU = Sapphire 7950 Boost Edition, Storage = 256GB Samsung 840 Pro.

I like the idea of 3d mapping but why a phone?

1 Timothy 1:15

Batman technology? Awesome!

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Reminds me of mappie from the Rewrite VN.

http://rewrite.wikia.com/wiki/Mappie

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Um how long before the creators of tango try to sue google and how long before nestlie sues google for usong the name and dont forget about the dance too. Since every one is in a sueing mood im talki g to you king

ps tango is a cookie from equador that is made from nestlie and there goooood...

I like the idea of 3d mapping but why a phone?

Because everyone has one. If everyone's phone can map the world around them and millions of people have Android phones, they'll be getting lots of map data, allowing them to make their maps more accurate.

And this will have little impact on privacy. All that's being sent is the distance to various objects around you. It can't tell what those objects are. Computer vision is hard enough without also doing object recognition.

EDIT:

I met one of those guys (Tully) a while back at a technical conference.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

well this should help game devs alot when they create a map in an office building or something they can just walk around a real life building and re texture it to there liking and there done which is cool.

Anyone remember the WAN show a few months ago when Linus and Slick were talking about how the Oculus could possibly mobilized and used in games, such as laser tag?  This technology could be the next building block for this idea!

Holy shit man, THIS THIS!!!! is why I love google

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Its a clever technology but a bit useless imo unless they start implementing it into their flagship phones. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing I would have to buy a whole new device for .

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

You do realize that you linked to this thread, right? 

They have been merged since I posted that. It was originally a different thread.

HTTP/2 203

I swear Google push tech forward more greatly than almost all other corporations.

Immense projects like Google Earth and Google satellite mapping is something we take for granted now, then there's Glass, Android, Fiber, now this.

Even if it means hovering a blimp over a city to provde web coverage, Google will just do it.

maxresdefault.jpg

• 1 year later...

post-144622-0-65071400-1433124535.jpg

i read that this is superior to Intel's RealSense 3D camera technology..i dunno how.lol

a website says this is for developers, not the average consumers..but I love those specs tho..

will it ever have an X1? will a tablet actually need it?