Swapping boot drive to new computer

Maddenman8815

Would I be able to take a 128gb m.2 from my alienware laptop, and put it into my very own built rig to save on buying windows? I know linus had a video about something like this, just didn’t know if I have to go through the process with Microsoft since it’ll be new motherboard and everything, or if one hardware swap is allowed? Honestly if I can it would save me couple hundred in drives and windows if I can take it from my laptop, even tho I want to sell the laptop(or would it be more economical to just buy a drive and windows) to make it easier to sell laptop? 

Your laptop comes with an OEM license, so it is not transferable. Windows will deactivate when moved and MS won't allow you to reactivate on the new machine, nor even give you any kind of support since OEM licenses need to be supported by the machine's manufacturer.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Your laptop comes with an OEM license, so it is not transferable. Windows will deactivate when moved and MS won't allow you to reactivate on the new machine, nor even give you any kind of support since OEM licenses need to be supported by the machine's manufacturer.

So basically the copy of Windows I’m running I don’t own just borrow basically lol, what a god damn waste. And let me guess if I remove windows off the drive to atleast save money on a drive I won’t be able to get it back

35 minutes ago, Maddenman8815 said:

So basically the copy of Windows I’m running I don’t own just borrow basically lol, what a god damn waste. And let me guess if I remove windows off the drive to atleast save money on a drive I won’t be able to get it back

If you remove the laptop drive and then put a new one later, it should let you keep your license. You will need to skip the product key steps in activation and/or select a option that says you are reinstalling windows 10.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/oem-hard-drive-transfer/f6a72c78-c423-40ff-948d-281014e0af6c

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstalling-windows-10-oem-after-changing-my-hdd/6d4f0191-5c1c-46c4-b6b7-424d6a98b1d4

6 hours ago, Maddenman8815 said:

Would I be able to take a 128gb m.2 from my alienware laptop, and put it into my very own built rig to save on buying windows?

It'll be OEM, so probably not transferable.

3 options.

1) You could try to transfer it. If you align it with a Microsoft account then when you move you might be able to transfer the license. If yes, then it's a bit of a hoohah (takes 10 mins or so with a lot of typing of codes), but if it works then you transfer the license.

2) You could run it as "unlicensed".

You can't customise the installation, but if it's already customised then those settings will stay. ;) You just can't change them (wallpaper etc)

3) You can pick up a license from eBay or Amazon at a ... competitive price.

----------------------------
        Weem