Should I get another router? or a network switch.

mrchow19910319
Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
34 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Guys I need some recommendation when it comes to switch and router.

Any Gigabit switch is fine.  Unless you are worried about the security of being on the same network as the person who owns the network, that's all you need.

Here's the situation

I am moving to someone else's place and they have a router at their house, and a modem which is provided by ISP.

However the router's lan port are all occupied. 

I want to have a wired connection. What should I get?? Another router ? Or a switch? 

1745292177_Image1.png.90e40bc31c5e7f9a40826087227d2284.png

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

4 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

i personally use a switch and it's perfectly fine, i advice you that

4 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Another router ? Or a switch?

Both are fine for this, just buy whichever you like and if you have any other needs.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

go for the cheaper option

CPU - I9 10900 | CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO | Motherboard -  Aorus B460 PRO AC | RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaw V series 4x8GB 2666MHZ | Graphics Card - Gigabyte RTX 3070  | Power Supply - Cooler Master 650w  | Storage -  Working on a new Spicy 

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

if you go for a switch you can likely get more ports, so greater future expansion options. if you get another router you can have more options tough, like how you setup your network.

that being said, a cheapo 8 port gigabit switch can likely be had for 20 bucks or cheaper, and should be just fine for this.

i myself have my router in bridge mode to a better router, and than just a managed switch to the rest of my stuff.

Spoiler

15828983228384738210493507331503.thumb.jpg.b2ef1713f6c408e875f40267958107a7.jpg

6 minutes ago, Its_MrMa said:

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Both are fine for this, just buy whichever you like and if you have any other needs.

4 minutes ago, Escapenz said:

I have a spare router on hand. It has 1 WAN port 2 LAN port. good enough for my usage I think. 

COuld you guys briefly walk me through how do I set it up? 

4 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

if you go for a switch you can likely get more ports, so greater future expansion options. if you get another router you can have more options tough, like how you setup your network.

that being said, a cheapo 8 port gigabit switch can likely be had for 20 bucks or cheaper, and should be just fine for this.

sorry another question, if I get a WIFI extender which one is better for me? probably a "good enough" 8 port switch will do huh? 

1 minute ago, mrchow19910319 said:

sorry another question, if I get a WIFI extender which one is better for me? probably a "good enough" 8 port switch will do huh? 

Going to be running a network cable to your room/space ? if so just get a router with good wifi and hit 2 birds with 1 stones

CPU - I9 10900 | CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO | Motherboard -  Aorus B460 PRO AC | RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaw V series 4x8GB 2666MHZ | Graphics Card - Gigabyte RTX 3070  | Power Supply - Cooler Master 650w  | Storage -  Working on a new Spicy 

7 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

12 minutes ago, Escapenz said:

14 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

14 minutes ago, Its_MrMa said:

could you guys recommend me a switch??? I have 0 idea which one to get. Or recommend me multiple model I will have to check with local site see which one I can get at a resonable price. 

1 minute ago, Escapenz said:

Going to be running a network cable to your room/space ? if so just get a router with good wifi and hit 2 birds with 1 stones

3 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

i agree with this one. if you want to extend wifi aswell a router is the way to go.

Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

could you guys recommend me a switch??? I have 0 idea which one to get. Or recommend me multiple model I will have to check with local site see which one I can get at a resonable price. 

Switches are basically all the same and the only thing that matters is the specs, ie. you want one with all gigabit-ports and the non-managed switches are cheaper than managed ones.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, RollinLower said:

i agree with this one. if you want to extend wifi aswell a router is the way to go.

Its the best way and its how i have my house set up and its bloody great. 3 x asus routers all wired up together with 0 effect on my connection at all.

3 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

5 minutes ago, Escapenz said:

2 minutes ago, Escapenz said:

Its the best way and its how i have my house set up and its bloody great. 3 x asus routers all wired up together with 0 effect on my connection at all.

okay... so how do I set it up then? Do I connect it to the Router OR the Modem? 

If the modem's ports are full then connect to the router? 

Do I set it up to bridge mode or ?

18 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

okay... so how do I set it up then? Do I connect it to the Router OR the Modem? 

If the modem's ports are full then connect to the router? 

Do I set it up to bridge mode or ?

connect your new router to you rold router with an ethernet cable, and then go into your routers settings and set it to AP mode.

depending on the router, this might be a bit different tough. but usually the core steps remain the same.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-turn-an-old-wi-fi-router-into-an-access-point/

I think everyone here is missing an important point, the existing routers ports are all full so they need more ports AT the existing router.  Adding a second router into their room won't help here, they still have nowhere to plug it in.

So a switch is going to be necessary regardless.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

38 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I think everyone here is missing an important point, the existing routers ports are all full so they need more ports AT the existing router.  Adding a second router into their room won't help here, they still have nowhere to plug it in.

This. PLUS coupled with the fact they are moving in with someone else so they'll have to clear either option with the owner of the router. A switch for more ports off the current router and possibly a router that can mesh with the existing router as well would be the best solution.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

7 hours ago, Lurick said:

This. PLUS coupled with the fact they are moving in with someone else so they'll have to clear either option with the owner of the router. A switch for more ports off the current router and possibly a router that can mesh with the existing router as well would be the best solution.

okay... what kind of router can do that.... 

34 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Any Gigabit switch is fine.  Unless you are worried about the security of being on the same network as the person who owns the network, that's all you need.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

6 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

i see. thanks.