Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Asad Javeed

What storage to choose?

500GB boot NVME SSD and then a 1tb SSD for games but I would also think about a 3-5tb HDD for videos, rarely played games and other stuff.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello everyone!!!

First time builder here!

Went through multiple boards in the forum and finally am starting to get a build that I am feeling pretty confident about!

Here is my build!

Just a note: I am situated in Pakistan so there's a severe dearth  of options available to me....So I did the best with what I had available!

 

So, now I am confused about what sort of storage I should go for (I linked options at the end).

My major usage is gaming, college work and files, storing PDF and videos etc, music, and video editing for YouTube.

 

I was thinking of first going with a 250GB M.2 NVMe (Samsung SSD 970 EVO PLUS NVME M.2) for windows boot, basic programs (office, icue, GPU program etc etc) and a basic 1TB SSD (TS1TSSD230S) for games, videos & larger PDFs etc and a 500GB SSD (TS480GSSD220S)for other stuff like word files.

But I was later recommended that I should go for 2 M.2, 250GB for same as above tasks (XPG SPECTRIX S40G or HS-SSD-E2000) and 1 TB for games and such (TS1TMTE110S). And that I can later add 500GB or 1TB SSDs when able to (same 1TB or 500GB SSDs as above). This seems smart too. 

 

So what should I do? Any and all advice is welcome, please be nice, I am new to this?

 

 

 

NOTE:

I have external HDDs that I already use, 1TB and 500GB. I do keep stuff on there for on the go and as backup of important files for college and self.

 

My M.2 options are all listed here: https://www.industech.pk/solid-state-drive/m-2-ssd

My 2.5" options are all listed here: https://www.industech.pk/solid-state-drive/2-5-sata-ssd

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Best Answer

500GB boot NVME SSD and then a 1tb SSD for games but I would also think about a 3-5tb HDD for videos, rarely played games and other stuff.


Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Gell EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

 

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Asad Javeed said:

Hello everyone!!!

First time builder here!

Went through multiple boards in the forum and finally am starting to get a build that I am feeling pretty confident about!

Here is my build!

Just a note: I am situated in Pakistan so there's a severe dearth  of options available to me....So I did the best with what I had available!

 

So, now I am confused about what sort of storage I should go for (I linked options at the end).

My major usage is gaming, college work and files, storing PDF and videos etc, music, and video editing for YouTube.

 

I was thinking of first going with a 250GB M.2 NVMe (Samsung SSD 970 EVO PLUS NVME M.2) for windows boot, basic programs (office, icue, GPU program etc etc) and a basic 1TB SSD (TS1TSSD230S) for games, videos & larger PDFs etc and a 500GB SSD (TS480GSSD220S)for other stuff like word files.

But I was later recommended that I should go for 2 M.2, 250GB for same as above tasks (XPG SPECTRIX S40G or HS-SSD-E2000) and 1 TB for games and such (TS1TMTE110S). And that I can later add 500GB or 1TB SSDs when able to (same 1TB or 500GB SSDs as above). This seems smart too. 

 

So what should I do? Any and all advice is welcome, please be nice, I am new to this?

 

 

 

NOTE:

I have external HDDs that I already use, 1TB and 500GB. I do keep stuff on there for on the go and as backup of important files for college and self.

 

My M.2 options are all listed here: https://www.industech.pk/solid-state-drive/m-2-ssd

My 2.5" options are all listed here: https://www.industech.pk/solid-state-drive/2-5-sata-ssd

so basically i would recommend MP510 1tb. at this time nvme prices and storage in general have SKYROCKETED. if i was you then i would wait untill all this virus is gone. the mp510 goes for around almost 200 dollars at the moment. usually its 120 usd so yeah. but depends on your budget

Link to post
Share on other sites

I personaly have a 500gb WD M.2 and a 1 TB Crucial M.2 and I can't be happier, and I'm soon getting 2x1TB Sata SSD's and I'll put them in raid0 for max speed. 


Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

500GB boot NVME SSD and then a 1tb SSD for games but I would also think about a 3-5tb HDD for videos, rarely played games and other stuff.

Hm...... 

This actually sounds pretty pretty much more smarter.... 

I mean, as a consumer, I don't think it matters if my word files or photos or videos would take 3 to 4 seconds longer to load.... But they do need tons of storage. So HDD makes a lot of sense... Even 2 TB is a lot for me really... 

 

And the 500GB boot drive gives me a longer term security... Plus I don't have to look for a secondary drive with heat sink since my MOBO only has one slot with heat sink and I will instead have the TB of SSD for games and such apps...... And I hardly ever have more than 200GB with of games.... I can always throw in another TB SSD as I need it.... 

 

This sounds much much smarter as well. 

 

Thank you so much. 

Could I trouble you to check the links and give me suggestions on which options would work well? The HDDs are also listed on the site...? If it's not too bothersome. 

Edited by Asad Javeed
Corrected grammar
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, TheLastMcLaren said:

so basically i would recommend MP510 1tb. at this time nvme prices and storage in general have SKYROCKETED. if i was you then i would wait untill all this virus is gone. the mp510 goes for around almost 200 dollars at the moment. usually its 120 usd so yeah. but depends on your budget

Hmm.... Thank you for looking out for me and the suggestion to wait! I am in fact already waiting since I can't get deliveries in my city, we are locked down and have power cut off. Been 4 days already. 

Anyway, the issue with pricing in my country is also taxes, so I don't think the prices would be any better. Plus, MP510 actually isn't available and getting it requested specially may or may not cost extra... Will have to check! 

Thank you again for the advice! 

So you recommend just a single TB of NVMe for everything? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Fictionvl said:

I personaly have a 500gb WD M.2 and a 1 TB Crucial M.2 and I can't be happier, and I'm soon getting 2x1TB Sata SSD's and I'll put them in raid0 for max speed. 

So sort of what I was recommended.... Get 2 M.2 to start off with and add SSDs as I go along.... This does make sense to me but my options that way are limited. I may be able to source WD but definitely can't source Crucial here.... Unless by a rare stroke of luck some importers bring it in. 

If you had to choose from the options on the site or what I hyperlinked, which ones would you prefer? 

Thank you very much for your help! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have computers with 250gb SSD and 500gb SSDs as boots, get a 500gb+ for boot.

32 minutes ago, Asad Javeed said:

So sort of what I was recommended.... Get 2 M.2 to start off with and add SSDs as I go along.... This does make sense to me but my options that way are limited. I may be able to source WD but definitely can't source Crucial here.... Unless by a rare stroke of luck some importers bring it in. 

If you had to choose from the options on the site or what I hyperlinked, which ones would you prefer? 

Thank you very much for your help! 

you don't need the speed for every drive to be an M.2 PCIE drive.boot drive it can make sense but the rest should be SATA SSDs or HDD. (sata SSDs can come in m.2 form but will only work in some m.2 slots)


Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Gell EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

 

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

I have computers with 250gb SSD and 500gb SSDs as boots, get a 500gb+ for boot.

you don't need the speed for every drive to be an M.2 PCIE drive.boot drive it can make sense but the rest should be SATA SSDs or HDD. (sata SSDs can come in m.2 form but will only work in some m.2 slots)

Just to try to clear what you said out, I should get 500GB worth of M.2 as boot and get secondary storage? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Asad Javeed said:

Just to try to clear what you said out, I should get 500GB worth of M.2 as boot and get secondary storage? 

yeah. 500gb or more


Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Gell EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

 

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

yeah. 500gb or more

Sooo..... 

Which one of each of the following category do you think? 

 

M.2 NVMe 500GB (Boot drive):

Transcend

AddLink S70

XPG Spectrix S40G

Samsung 960 EVO

 

 

 

SSD (1 TB drive for Games and such):

HIKVision E100

ADATA Ultimate SU800

ADATA SU750

Transcend SSD230S

Samsung 860 QVO

 

 

HDD (for everything else):

Seagate Barracuda Compute ST2000DM008 2TB

Link to post
Share on other sites

860 evo

860 QVO

thats a fine HDD


Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Gell EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

 

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Asad Javeed said:

 

Thank you! 

Query solved! 

welcome. enjoy the PC


Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Gell EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

 

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2020 at 10:06 AM, Asad Javeed said:

Hmm.... Thank you for looking out for me and the suggestion to wait! I am in fact already waiting since I can't get deliveries in my city, we are locked down and have power cut off. Been 4 days already. 

Anyway, the issue with pricing in my country is also taxes, so I don't think the prices would be any better. Plus, MP510 actually isn't available and getting it requested specially may or may not cost extra... Will have to check! 

Thank you again for the advice! 

So you recommend just a single TB of NVMe for everything? 

I feel you lol, the VAT in Denmark is crazy high. it basically means all our products costs 25% more than the US. (Value Added Tax) since US doesnt have VAT its cheaper there (for the most part)

Well i would probably say 2tb would be good. If you dont edit videos at 4K then i dont think you would have a problem with 2. You can always upgrade ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×