Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tlmills82

CPU Bottleneck

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm told my cpu would be a bottleneck to a gpu upgrade, so I'm thinking of possibly spending the $300US on a new CPU/Mobo/Ram combo.

 

I'm using:
i5 4690k

16gb Ram
gtx 970

 

I'm not looking to spend a fortune, somewhere around $300US ish.

I'm looking at maybe something like:
 

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($85.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($77.98 @ Amazon) 
Total: $163.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-20 22:16 EDT-0400

 

I have no  idea what CPU to use.  I watch some Paul's Hardware videos as well as Linus and Paul was saying that the new Ryzen refresh 1600 was good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryzen 5 3600 or 1600AF


AMD Ryzen 3 3200G / Sapphire R9 290X / 16gb (2x8) Kingston ValueRam @ 2666Mhz / Gigabyte A320M-S2H / Kingston A400 120GB M.2 SSD / WD Blue 2.5" 1TB HDD / Cooler Master MWE450 / Aerocool CS-100 / LG 22MK400H-B 1920x1080 @ 75Hz

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryzen 2600x may be viable in that budget.


SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryzen 2600x may be viable in that budget.

 

 

1600 AF is the best yoi can do. Great price too.

 

 

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-1600/p/274-003V-00043


SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, GreyestGoat said:

Ryzen 2600x may be viable in that budget.

 

 

1600 AF is the best yoi can do. Great price too.

 

 

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-1600/p/274-003V-00043

1600AF combo is only viable if you're throwing in a better CPU soonish.  The 4690K isn't that bad, and while the 1600AF is an upgrade, I wouldn't upgrade the whole platform for that much increase.

 

OC the 4690K and save up til you can go to the 3600.  


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS z370 Gaming 5 - ThermalTake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

 

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

 

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

1600AF combo is only viable if you're throwing in a better CPU soonish.  The 4690K isn't that bad, and while the 1600AF is an upgrade, I wouldn't upgrade the whole platform for that much increase.

 

OC the 4690K and save up til you can go to the 3600.  

I'm bad at cpus.  How much of an upgrade is the 3600x over the normal 3600?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

So this would be worth spending the extra $30 I assume?

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($85.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($76.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $337.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-21 02:15 EDT-0400

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tlmills82 said:

So this would be worth spending the extra $30 I assume?

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($85.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($76.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $337.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-21 02:15 EDT-0400

That is worth it.


SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jstudrawa said:

1600AF combo is only viable if you're throwing in a better CPU soonish.  The 4690K isn't that bad, and while the 1600AF is an upgrade, I wouldn't upgrade the whole platform for that much increase.

 

OC the 4690K and save up til you can go to the 3600.  

6 cores and 12 threads is still better than 4 cores even with Haswell IPC.

 

I did an upgrade for my father with just the normal 1600 from a 3570K at 4.2ghz, he gained quite a bit where it mattered and his 1600 does 3.9ghz on standard voltages.

 

The 3600 is objectively a superior CPU but i was thinking of his budget and the 1600 would be an upgrade overall.


SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreyestGoat said:

6 cores and 12 threads is still better than 4 cores even with Haswell IPC.

 

I did an upgrade for my father with just the normal 1600 from a 3570K at 4.2ghz, he gained quite a bit where it mattered and his 1600 does 3.9ghz on standard voltages.

 

The 3600 is objectively a superior CPU but i was thinking of his budget and the 1600 would be an upgrade overall.

I agree it's an upgrade, but not worth switching a new platform.  The 4690K is a solid PC and more than 4 cores isn't necessary yet.  Still performs very well.

 

He gained quite a bit where it mattered?  What did your father use his machine for and what qualitative increases did he get?

 

Cores cores cores is a fantastic marketing mantra, but for a $300 spend... I would want a much larger increase.  All the way to the 3600, and not the 3600X.

 

 I would look at the SSD situation as well as the GPU/monitor side of things.


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS z370 Gaming 5 - ThermalTake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

 

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

 

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jstudrawa said:

I agree it's an upgrade, but not worth switching a new platform.  The 4690K is a solid PC and more than 4 cores isn't necessary yet.  Still performs very well.

 

He gained quite a bit where it mattered?  What did your father use his machine for and what qualitative increases did he get?

 

Cores cores cores is a fantastic marketing mantra, but for a $300 spend... I would want a much larger increase.  All the way to the 3600, and not the 3600X.

 

 I would look at the SSD situation as well as the GPU/monitor side of things.

Every new game he played increased in both FPS and stability of frame rate. He runs a R9 390X MSI Gaming.


SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GreyestGoat said:

Every new game he played increased in both FPS and stability of frame rate. He runs a R9 390X MSI Gaming.

https://imgur.com/a/kXMET


SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I basically got the go ahead from my wife to spend around 350.  Is there anything you'd change?

Link to post
Share on other sites

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($109.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $349.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-21 12:43 EDT-0400


SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, tlmills82 said:

I basically got the go ahead from my wife to spend around 350.  Is there anything you'd change?

Just a general question, how is your fan layout in your chassis?


SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, GreyestGoat said:

Just a general question, how is your fan layout in your chassis?

It's intake in front, exhaust out the back.  1 intake, 1 exhaust.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, GreyestGoat said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($109.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $349.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-21 12:43 EDT-0400

why the full atx motherboard?  Is it worth the extra money? and losing the memory speed?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×