Randomly Completely Shuts Down? But why?! Plz help?!

I’m generally quite smart but want to House MD style check with my diagnostics team, thanks in advance for any and all support!

Main annoying symptom: Random Immediate Power Downs

Diagnostic Info: Was overclocking stably for about 2 weeks until the past 3 days where I attempted to ...

1) default the graphics card (MSI GTX 2080 Ventura OC? Super)back to factory [issue persisted]...

2) lower the overclocking on my cpu (i7-9700k) from 5Ghz @ 1.32V to 4.8Ghz @ 1.29V [ISSUE CHANGED: BSOD and hard lock about 5 seconds into login]

3) factory default motherboard (msi z390 gaming pro carbon ac) and OC settings. [issue persisted Same as #2, about 5 seconds into login]
4) turned off 4 cores on cpu [STABLE SO FAR]

oddities:

Wireless AC and Bluetooth sometimes don’t start at all but come back on most boots. Using Bluetooth speaker and keyboard at times to verify.

Temps never above 78C (H115i) especially after lowering the OC.

Temps do seems to jump around a bit though, changes of 5-6 degrees per read from HWMonitor.

Symptoms seem to have gotten progressively worse the last 3 days.

What I’m thinking the problem is, is the PSU (Corsair CX750M) as it is now the oldest piece of my build after upgrading literally everything else.

But curious as to anyone’s thoughts.

Sounds like it could be your PSU is failing if you had to resort to turning off 4 cores. Also your PSU is not a recommended one to overclock with. Is your Corsair CX750M a green label one btw?

14 minutes ago, Rainbow Dash said:

Sounds like it could be your PSU is failing if you had to resort to turning off 4 cores. Also your PSU is not a recommended one to overclock with. Is your Corsair CX750M a green label one btw?

Green Label is correct. Is that good or bad? I was thinking of going to an EVGA 1000W G+, or a good 850w Gold or better PSU. Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, AcidSugar1414 said:

Green Label is correct. Is that good or bad? I was thinking of going to an EVGA 1000W G+, or a good 850w Gold or better PSU. Thoughts?

Oh the green labels are really old PSUs, I have like two of those currently; I thought you had like the grey label newer ones. But for a PSU to overclock with, I would recommend somewhere around 600W ~ 700W for your i7-9700k and RTX 2080 and anything in Tier A and above: 

27 minutes ago, Rainbow Dash said:

Oh the green labels are really old PSUs, I have like two of those currently; I thought you had like the grey label newer ones. But for a PSU to overclock with, I would recommend somewhere around 600W ~ 700W for your i7-9700k and RTX 2080 and anything in Tier A and above: 

If I can find one in stock I will buy+install and update on results. Thank you kind sir!

1 hour ago, Rainbow Dash said:

for 750w+ the platform is the same as the gray label version. only 600w and lower are the infamous DSAIII platform.

anyways, this does seem like a PSU problem to me from a quick look, so trying a new one would be a good idea either way

15 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

for 750w+ the platform is the same as the gray label version. only 600w and lower are the infamous DSAIII platform.

anyways, this does seem like a PSU problem to me from a quick look, so trying a new one would be a good idea either way

I always thought the green label CX are sketchy for running high power systems. The grey label ones being newer should have more better protection built in, right? 

2 hours ago, Rainbow Dash said:

I always thought the green label CX are sketchy for running high power systems. The grey label ones being newer should have more better protection built in, right? 

again, gray label cx750/850m are outside of the fan internally the same as green label cx750/850m, it was the 600w, 500w and 430w that had some issues. 

what exactly went wrong with cx/cxm at the time I can't say for sure, but it indeed could've been a protection issue

4 hours ago, Rainbow Dash said:

No problem, glad to help!

How’s this for a replacement?

F6A0DDBD-F3E3-47D8-8EF4-ECCA5EA0684D.jpeg

42 minutes ago, AcidSugar1414 said:

How’s this for a replacement?

That one looks pretty good judging from reviews, but I remember there being some over-current issue with the Focus series and I don't know if this one has the issue or if it was fixed on this model. You'll have see what @LukeSavenije says about this one, since they know more about PSUs than me.

19 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

good Choice @LukeSavenije?

D3909831-A395-4463-ADFB-61982CB36B68.jpeg

6 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

good, but over the top in wattage

650w will easily do

Welp....  current annoying symptom: No power at all.

Which is further confirming to me that power supply has finally kicked it bless it’s soul 🙏🏻

Picking up an ASUS Strix 650w from MicroCenter tomorrow.

The saga continues...

On 4/20/2020 at 4:56 PM, LukeSavenije said:

21 hours ago, AcidSugar1414 said:

Welp....  current annoying symptom: No power at all.

Which is further confirming to me that power supply has finally kicked it bless it’s soul 🙏🏻

Picking up an ASUS Strix 650w from MicroCenter tomorrow.

The saga continues...

So it seemed as though the PSU did the trick. All powered up no problem. AIDA 64 was good for about 3 hours. Decided to start overclocking again and on first attempt, powered down and haven’t been able to power up again since.

Tried: reseating all cables, ram, processor (repasted).

So assuming the Power Supply is good, I’m now at the processor or the motherboard. Although if it was the processor, I’m thinking I would still get some sign of power somewhere. 

Thoughts?