internet help

Marshg3

i have this motherboard ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) Z390 Gaming Motherboard LGA1151 (Intel 8th 9th Gen) ATX DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 802.11AC Wi-Fi and the Ethernet on it is only 1GB but i have 2GB internet how would i get the full speeds of my internet.

You either replace everything in your network with 10Gb capable devices (or mGig) or buy a second 1Gb NIC and realize that anything over 1Gb/s for a single source-destination stream is never going to happen and you'll be limited to 2 streams/downloads/etc. at 1Gb each provided they hash over each link.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

How are you getting the 2Gbps connection, meaning what device/modem/router has the ISP kept at your home/office and does that support > 1Gbps port.

Assuming that the modem/router provided by the ISP can support speeds > 1Gbps you will need to upgrade to a 10G Lan and this means, not just your motherboard, but also your network cables (you will need atleast CAT6 cabling, but also all the network components that come between the ISP device and your PC). Motherboard upgrade can be handled by buying and installing a 10G LAN card.

As above you can roll 10 gig or mgig hardware, but it's going to be much more expensive than the value you would receive out of it.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

14 minutes ago, Marshg3 said:

You need more than just that. You need EVERYTHING in the chain from your ISP's router to your machine to support speeds over 1Gbps. If you buy that card and your router, switch, etc. doesn't support it then it will just run at 1Gbps.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

30 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You need more than just that. You need EVERYTHING in the chain from your ISP's router to your machine to support speeds over 1Gbps. If you buy that card and your router, switch, etc. doesn't support it then it will just run at 1Gbps.

what you are telling me is the router has to support 2GB

Just now, Marshg3 said:

what you are telling me is the router has to support 2GB

Yes, it has to support 2.5Gb speeds on the interface you connect the cable to from your PC

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

40 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yes, it has to support 2.5Gb speeds on the interface you connect the cable to from your PC

my internet is 2GB the network adapter is 2.5GB would that work

Just now, Marshg3 said:

my internet is 2GB the network adapter is 2.5GB would that work

Your router has to support those speeds on all internal ports. 2.5Gb and 5Gb are very new and likely not supported on the equipment you have. You either have all 1/10Gb capable internal ports or all 1Gb capable.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

59 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Your router has to support those speeds on all internal ports. 2.5Gb and 5Gb are very new and likely not supported on the equipment you have. You either have all 1/10Gb capable internal ports or all 1Gb capable.

if i took a router that supported 2GB then pluged it into the 2.5GB PCIe adapter would it work