CPU cooler for r5 3600, 155 mm

Bombama

Turned out that my Performa doesn't have AM4 mounting bracket and special AM4 mounting kit for it is out of stock everywhere.

I can't find any decent cooler that would fit in my case - 155 mm and lower.

I was looking at be quiet! Pure Rock but on tests it performs worse than Performa. The same with couple others.

Is there a good cooler that would fit into 155 mm and work well on r5 3600?

Why not just use the stock cooler? What case and ram are you using? Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 hours ago, Bombama said:

Turned out that my Performa doesn't have AM4 mounting bracket and special AM4 mounting kit for it is out of stock everywhere.

I can't find any decent cooler that would fit in my case - 155 mm and lower.

I was looking at be quiet! Pure Rock but on tests it performs worse than Performa. The same with couple others.

Is there a good cooler that would fit into 155 mm and work well on r5 3600?

Scythe Mugen5 RevB

Brocken Eco Advanced

Fera 3

ID SE 224 lineup or the beefier SE 234

budget? Location?

The scythe and Brocken Eco Advanced are a bit better than the Pure Rock. The SE 224 and Fera3 performs roughly the same. The 234 is also a bit more powerful.

ALL of these are vast improvement over the impotent wraith stealth, which should not even be packed with the six core Zen2 CPU : ) (fine for lesser CPU-s though, ie: 1200, athlon). 

If you can find Mugen5 for cheap, I'd definitely go with that one.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Why not just use the stock cooler?

Very loud and hot. I use 2 intake Silent Wings 120 mm fans on front face and 2 exhaust 120 mm fans on top, they're quiet. And I was using Noctua fan on Performa. Now I assembled r5 3600 kit and have to use stock cooler which is loudest thing in the room. Also it doesn't cool decently but it might been thermal compound they provided. I'll need to check it with Noctua NH-T1 which I use normally.

4 hours ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Scythe Mugen5 RevB

I was considering this one. But for its price it's not give much of advantage over 2 times cheaper coolers.
I would prefer something relatively cheap, because if I would buy something really good, I'd go for Noctua D15 and change the case to bigger one.

I didn't think about AM4 mounting when I assembled this kit and I wanted to use old good Performa. Sounds good, doesn't work.

Thanks for recommendation, I will check Mugen 5. But it cost close to Noctua D14 (doesn't fit in the case but I really like Noctua's coolers).

6 hours ago, Bombama said:

Thanks for recommendation, I will check Mugen 5. But it cost close to Noctua D14 (doesn't fit in the case but I really like Noctua's coolers).

Check the others, if you are after something cheaper. The ID Cooling SE 224 line-up is around 20USD in my country, and they are more than capable of keeping a 3600 within reasonable ranges of temperature. For that price, one cannot complain about them.

Where are you located by the way?

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

7 hours ago, Bombama said:

it doesn't cool decently but it might been thermal compound they provided. I'll need to check it with Noctua NH-T1 which I use normally.

Temps? The stock thermal paste should be fine but the stock cooler's performance can vary depending on factors like case airflow. 

What case and ram are you using? Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

33 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

ID Cooling SE 224

Looks okayish for $20 but in my Ukraine it costs $35 (we have shitty prices for PC hardware). And for a bit more I see couple better options.

Also it has aluminium base and direct tubes, so I won't be able to use liquid metal later.

Currently thinking about Scythe Fuma 2. If not choosing from "cheapest from the decent", then "best from <150 mm". Even thought about AIO watercooling but the only optimal choice is EKWB 360 mm for 150 euro. For additional couple degrees it's not worth it.

10 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Temps? The stock thermal paste should be fine but the stock cooler's performance can vary depending on factors like case airflow. 

Just changed thermal paste to Noctua NH-T1.

Idle - 42

Slightly used - 51 (launching programs)

OCCT - 70.

Case is microATX case with 3x120 on front, 2x120 on top and 1x120 on back. PSU is in bottom shroud. I use Silent Wings 120 fans: 2 on front and 2 on top. Case is not a problem, it was working fine with previous build and Performa with Noctua fan.

1 hour ago, Bombama said:

Just changed thermal paste to Noctua NH-T1.

Idle - 42

Slightly used - 51 (launching programs)

OCCT - 70.

Case is microATX case with 3x120 on front, 2x120 on top and 1x120 on back. PSU is in bottom shroud. I use Silent Wings 120 fans: 2 on front and 2 on top. Case is not a problem, it was working fine with previous build and Performa with Noctua fan.

Those are good temps. Is the cooler still too noisy?

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Those are good temps. Is the cooler still too noisy?

Yes, temps are better after I put better thermal paste. But I'm still not a fan of this fan. Working in case with relatively quiet fans this stock cooler makes this build noticeably loud. At least it's better than it was yesterday when it reached 80 under the load and was over 55 idle. I've seen "fresh" thermal compound drying out in couple of months, maybe that's what happened with this new CPU in box.

CSGO made it 72 degree. Apparently GPU is adding to that. Case fans were working ok with previous build on 77W Intel CPU inside.

About to order Fuma 2.

Just now, Bombama said:

About to order Fuma 2.

The Fuma 2 is great and hard to go wrong with.