An air cooler better than an aio?

DevilsHand676

Currently have a Corsair H60 thats a few years old now. I am not getting the cooling I would like, maxing around 76C on overwatch, normal settings at 144fps, and max 99.51 W, 87.29 A. Anyway I was looking at air coolers cause this aio is just not cutting it, and I can't drop $100+ on a bigger aio. Originally I was looking at Noctua NH-D15 but that boy is just too big for my case to handle. My MASTERBOX Q300L TUF can only handle max of 159mm cooler. I google best air cooler and all they put are tall boys or super small boys that don't look like that do much.

Any recommendations of a cooler that less or around $100 and that is 159mm or less is appreciated. 

CPU- Ryzen 9 3900x
CPU Cooler- Artic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm
GPU-  EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC ULTRA
RAM- CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB 3200Mhz 
PSU- Cooler Master MasterWatt 650 Watt
HDD- WD Blue 4TB
SSD- SanDisk Ultra II 500GB SATA III
Case- Custom Made Desk
Motherboard- ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming

Microphone- Blue Snowball Ice
Headphones- Razer Nari Ultimate
Webcam- Logitech c270
Monitors- MSI Optix MAG24C and Acer KA240HQ Abid
Mouse- Corsair Nightsword RGB
Keyboard- Corsair K95 RGB Platinum MX Speed

Well, the H60 is only a 120mm so there is only so much it can cool. Depending on how much you OC/undervolt your CPU you might be able to squeeze better temps out of it. I had the same AIO until the pump crapped out on me a couple of weeks ago, but usually under an intense load I'd get 70C at 3.9 GHz (I had my voltage set up at 1.45).

As far as air coolers go, I'd recommend a Dark Rock 4 from bequiet, it's about 160mm IIRC but performance should be great and they are, as the name of the brand states, very quiet.

Frostbite (White build PC)

Spoiler

MSI B350M Mortar Arctic - Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz - Corsair H60 - ASUS GTX 1060 3GB DUAL OC @ (2130 MHz Core Clock + 4600 MHz Mem Clock)

2x8GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance C16 Corsair 400C White - EVGA 650 GQ

Razer Deathadder Chroma - Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma - Sennheiser HD 598 SR - LG 24MP59G-P

NH-U12A, NH-U12S or Dark Rock 4, but off the top of my head they just barely make the 159mm limit (I could be wrong).

You could also go for a downdraft cooler, like a Dark Rock TF, NH-C14S or NH-L12S.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Steve over at GN just released his review on Arctic's new offering. It does not have endurance testing, granted that it's still very new, but it looks promising.
Consider giving it a look
https://www2.arctic.ac/liquidfreezer2/us/

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo and Cryorig M9 Plus are both good choices in my opinion

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

1 minute ago, glenalz81 said:

Should be looking at a case with better airflow first.

case is mesh top, bot and front panel. Don't think air flow is the problem, but thank you for your input. 

CPU- Ryzen 9 3900x
HDD- WD Blue 4TB
Case- Custom Made Desk

Webcam- Logitech c270

16 minutes ago, DevilsHand676 said:

case is mesh top, bot and front panel. Don't think air flow is the problem, but thank you for your input. 

The q300l suffers the same pitfalls as the q500l.

It's not the worst there's ever been, but it's "mesh" is very misleading, and it's certainly not optimal.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Do temps get higher? 76c should be fine. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Do temps get higher? 76c should be fine. 

temps will sometimes go up to 80 81, I know that still isn't considered bad but my pc sits right next to me on my desk so its more of trying to get the temps down to keep the fan noise down. 

CPU- Ryzen 9 3900x
HDD- WD Blue 4TB
Case- Custom Made Desk

Webcam- Logitech c270

3 hours ago, DevilsHand676 said:

temps will sometimes go up to 80 81, I know that still isn't considered bad but my pc sits right next to me on my desk so its more of trying to get the temps down to keep the fan noise down. 

Which H60 is it? There's been a few versions and they can be identified by the fan / cpu block. If you're not sure, the color and number of fan blades alone can narrow it down enough.

If it's a particularly loud fan, replacing it could be a cheaper solution. If the pump is also noisy, getting a different cooler is a good idea. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

30 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Which H60 is it? There's been a few versions and they can be identified by the fan / cpu block. If you're not sure, the color and number of fan blades alone can narrow it down enough.

If it's a particularly loud fan, replacing it could be a cheaper solution. If the pump is also noisy, getting a different cooler is a good idea. 

It from back in 2017, square block with no lights. Model number from Amazon is CW-9060007-WW. I've got that original grey fan as well as a rgb fan that came off from my old cooler master case. To cut down on idle noise I have the corsair fan always going but the rgb ones stop until it hits 50C. I made a high quality render to show it. I just moved the pump from the back to the front to see the difference because I watched a bitwit video that said front intake is better. I was also looking at the Artic Freezer 2 and the Cooler Master MasterLiquid LC240E for 240 mm options. 

pcair.PNG

CPU- Ryzen 9 3900x
HDD- WD Blue 4TB
Case- Custom Made Desk

Webcam- Logitech c270

1 hour ago, DevilsHand676 said:

It from back in 2017, square block with no lights. Model number from Amazon is CW-9060007-WW. I've got that original grey fan as well as a rgb fan that came off from my old cooler master case. To cut down on idle noise I have the corsair fan always going but the rgb ones stop until it hits 50C.

Stopping the rgb fan would probably just obstruct airflow during idle. I recommend at least running it at low rpm. 

Is it too noisy at idle as well? Is the pump running at max rpm?

1 hour ago, DevilsHand676 said:

It from back in 2017, square block with no lights. Model number from Amazon is CW-9060007-WW. I've got that original grey fan as well as a rgb fan that came off from my old cooler master case. To cut down on idle noise I have the corsair fan always going but the rgb ones stop until it hits 50C. I made a high quality render to show it. I just moved the pump from the back to the front to see the difference because I watched a bitwit video that said front intake is better. I was also looking at the Artic Freezer 2 and the Cooler Master MasterLiquid LC240E for 240 mm options. 

Your cooler should be under warranty if it is defective (5-years).  You can put in a support ticket, and one of our Technical Support agents can help with a replacement through the link below.  Before we get that far though in writing off the cooler as failed, did moving the radiator to the front make a difference?  Which RGB fans do you have installed?  Is it only Overwatch that sees high temps?

https://support.corsair.com/

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

30 minutes ago, Corsair Nick said:

Your cooler should be under warranty if it is defective (5-years).  You can put in a support ticket, and one of our Technical Support agents can help with a replacement through the link below.  Before we get that far though in writing off the cooler as failed, did moving the radiator to the front make a difference?  Which RGB fans do you have installed?  Is it only Overwatch that sees high temps?

moving the radiator to the front gives me idles about 45 - 50 with random peaks up to 57ish and going back down. I tested a few games on normal settings max fps setting at 144 and put together a fancy little table but I don't know how to put a table on this form so its not fancy. This is with the 1600x maxing to 4.01Ghz and 5.31V

Average cpu temps

Overwatch: 67

Apex: 69

Fallout76: a cool 53

So it looks like putting it up front helped a lot for temps but at the expense of my gpu temp, with it hitting 78C in Overwatch and Apex. 

The rgb fans are from the MasterBox Lite 5 RGB, model number DF1202512RFMN. I'm not able to find coolermaster selling them by themselves though. 

The pump is also plugged into the cpu fan header on my mobo (ASUS TUF B450M Plus Gaming) and its always set to 100% 

CPU- Ryzen 9 3900x
HDD- WD Blue 4TB
Case- Custom Made Desk

Webcam- Logitech c270

This seems more like an airflow issue rather than the pump.  You could try adding additional fans to the top and retest the radiator in the front and back.  Based on the feedback @Semper gave, you could also try pulling the front fascia off with the current config and see how really restrict it is.  If you see a significant drop, you have your culprit.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out: