5 year old PC on its last leg, need a new system

So, I need some help, my current PC is more than 5 years old and I really need an upgrade. Community help would do me a lot better than what I could on my own, I keep up with LTT, but the issue is that there's so many variations of similar tech that I simply cant figure out what I need to buy.

To start I'm going to put my current "build" so you can have an idea of what I'm working with now.

Mobo: MSI 970 gaming (AMD)

CPU: AMD FX 6300 3.5ghz 3 core 6 threads

RAM: 16gb 4x4 kit of 1300mhz DDR3

GPU: MSI 290X

Storage: 240gb LITEON SSD, and multiple of 2TB HDDs

So here's the issue, it runs like a potato on wheels, but even worse, its stuck at 1.4ghz on the cpu for reasons i cant figure out, oh and my pump for the cpu cooler died so I cant turn the system on for more than 5 mins without it overheating and shutting down. Needless to day, i need a new system.

What im looking for:

1080p 60fps high/max settings for playback and games, no RTX, nothing too extreme because I'm just fine with 1080p and lots of frames don't matter to me because most of the games I play are single player RPGs. Storage is quite important too, I need a small but fast boot drive, like an m.2, but also plenty of sata lanes for more hdds, i have all the hdds ill ever need (about 2PB total of blank storage) but im a data hoarder. Oh and RGB isn't my thing, if a part comes with it i don't mind, but if it's considered and "upgrade" from its standard model, i don't need it.

What I Do with my PC:

Just about everything, consume videos, music and games. On top of that I do 2d graphic design and light video editing using the adobe suite of software, usually nothing over 1080p and almost never any vfx.

Periphrials:

I use 2 1080p 60hz monitors, one as a main display and the other as a side task/research display. need new mouse and keyboard, preferably wireless rechargeable, I'm not some pro gamer or anything, less wires the better. Suggestions for a well ventilated case that includes filters would be appreciated.

Smack dab in the middle of the US, flat land and high winds in a dry environment it the perfect combo for DUST, and also i own pets so the air isn't just good ol air for electronics.

Budget:

okay finally the numbers, id like to spend no more than $800 USD on my system but if i have to i can stretch to 1,000 USD, if you could swing lower and achieve the same or similar performance to what I'm requesting, that would be great.

Thanks to all who leave feedback on this post.

2 minutes ago, TankError144 said:

So, I need some help, my current PC is more than 5 years old and I really need an upgrade. Community help would do me a lot better than what I could on my own, I keep up with LTT, but the issue is that there's so many variations of similar tech that I simply cant figure out what I need to buy.

To start I'm going to put my current "build" so you can have an idea of what I'm working with now.

Mobo: MSI 970 gaming (AMD)

CPU: AMD FX 6300 3.5ghz 3 core 6 threads

RAM: 16gb 4x4 kit of 1300mhz DDR3

GPU: MSI 290X

Storage: 240gb LITEON SSD, and multiple of 2TB HDDs

So here's the issue, it runs like a potato on wheels, but even worse, its stuck at 1.4ghz on the cpu for reasons i cant figure out, oh and my pump for the cpu cooler died so I cant turn the system on for more than 5 mins without it overheating and shutting down. Needless to day, i need a new system.

What im looking for:

1080p 60fps high/max settings for playback and games, no RTX, nothing too extreme because I'm just fine with 1080p and lots of frames don't matter to me because most of the games I play are single player RPGs. Storage is quite important too, I need a small but fast boot drive, like an m.2, but also plenty of sata lanes for more hdds, i have all the hdds ill ever need (about 2PB total of blank storage) but im a data hoarder. Oh and RGB isn't my thing, if a part comes with it i don't mind, but if it's considered and "upgrade" from its standard model, i don't need it.

What I Do with my PC:

Just about everything, consume videos, music and games. On top of that I do 2d graphic design and light video editing using the adobe suite of software, usually nothing over 1080p and almost never any vfx.

Periphrials:

I use 2 1080p 60hz monitors, one as a main display and the other as a side task/research display. need new mouse and keyboard, preferably wireless rechargeable, I'm not some pro gamer or anything, less wires the better. Suggestions for a well ventilated case that includes filters would be appreciated.

Smack dab in the middle of the US, flat land and high winds in a dry environment it the perfect combo for DUST, and also i own pets so the air isn't just good ol air for electronics.

Budget:

okay finally the numbers, id like to spend no more than $800 USD on my system but if i have to i can stretch to 1,000 USD, if you could swing lower and achieve the same or similar performance to what I'm requesting, that would be great.

Thanks to all who leave feedback on this post.

here is a pretty good build 

7 minutes ago, TankError144 said:

So, 

It's pretty easy to recommend: 

-R 5 2600 (or R 51600AF, a 3600 if you have a budget of 1000 and still want to follow the below)

- A decent b450 mobo (look online and further in the forums for help, I'm not qualified to say anything here, get a b450 tomahawk MAX if you get the 3600)

-G.Skill Ripjaws 2x8gb cl 16 3600mhz ram

-crucial p1/p2 256 or 512 gb

-1 or 2tb hard drive (use half of the nvme drive (the crucial p1/p2) to cache the hard drive, 'making it faster' 

- A 1660S (or a 1650S if your budget can't afford) and If you can do 1k use a 2060KO
- A Phanteks p300a (with one, two or three extra black case fans if your budget affords, for airflow in the front of the case)

- a 500, 550, or 600 watt semi-modular PSU at 80+ bronze, or 80+, doesn't matter a whole lot, just dont do tacky looking, suspiciously cheap, and make sure to research it a bit before you buy. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

5 minutes ago, tank234 said:

Not really. This is a gaming build, so a 2600 would be more fitting, to put the money into the GPU for better frames. the case is meh, considering for $4 you could get a p300a, which is super highly regarded, a 1660ti? Really? 1660S or 2060KO. the ti is just pointless. The PSU is fairly eH when it comes to reliability, and its only 80+ 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Just now, tank234 said:

Could not recommend that power supply, it's the cheapest unit thermaltake makes.

That, and a 1660 super instead of TI:

3 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

500, 550, or 600 watt semi-modular PSU at 80+ bronze, or 80+, doesn't matter a whole lot, just dont do tacky

Matters quite a bit actually, the power supply is rather important. We have a PSU tier list after all.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

Could not recommend that power supply, it's the cheapest unit thermaltake makes.

Hide contents

Matters quite a bit actually, the power supply is rather important. We have a PSU tier list after all.

ah. I consider 'tacky' pretty obvious lol. a 650 watt psu thats $37.99 and has a green fan. hMMM. A 300 watt psu that looks like it came right out of a OptiPlex. hMMMM

Just now, Fasauceome said:

Hide contents

ah. I consider 'tacky' pretty obvious lol. a 650 watt psu thats $37.99 and has a green fan. hMMM. A 300 watt psu that looks like it came right out of a OptiPlex. hMMMM

2 minutes ago, tank234 said:

The problem is that it doesn't include peripherals, what I would do is swap the Nvme SSD for a regular sata SSD (also m.2), maybe a 256gb or a 512gb one, and add a 2tb HDD, that way you can have much more storage and a fast bootable drive at the same time for almost the exact same price or less. Also maybe get a Ryzen 5 1600 af if you really wanna spend less money and maybe change the 1660 ti for a 2060 ko, but i dont know the availability on those ones.

CPU AND MOBO: If you don't mind buying used, you can get like a cheap b350 and even a cheap x370, pair with a ryzen 3000(if you game a lot) or even used 1000 or 2000 series and you good to go.

CPU cooler: used stock cooler you buy new CPU or grab a SNOWMAN cooler on aliexpress(it's fairly cheap and it's a half decent for OCing).

Ram: Try to get 3200Mhz 2x8Gb kit, and you can overclock it to 3600(maybe and if you go ryzen  3000).

GPU: Because you don't need "RTXon" so used Pascal (like a 1080 or 1070ti or even 1080ti) is a good option but you can also go new and grab a GTX 1660 super(the performance is lower).

PSU: Buy a new PSU!!!, we have a tier list on our forum, feel free to take a look.

Case: just buy a $70 case that have good airflow and a pack of 3 fans(if you case not included).

P/s: Don't go RGB if you can't afford. 

okay, so what if i wanted to go with a 1660/50 super or an rx580? which would be a better choice?