I need help, it is to do with RAM and my PC not posting at certain A-XMP profiles. I really need help

Hi, I am giving to give up with my PC at this point in time. It is my first build and the specs are listed at the bottom of this post.

My RAM kit is Corsair Vengance LPX 2*8GB and on the tin it is desrcribed as 3000mHZ (15-17-17-36) and DRAM Components are Micro Tech and 8GB D-die. 

Using the A-XMP profiles, originally, I was able to use the 2800mHZ profile with no problems. If I went above this it would be able to run, but not consistently. This was the same with 3200mHZ. Leaving the PC off over night or turning off the PSU, the PC would not boot for the first three of four tries and only be successful after this powering on, then off, then on procedure. I resorted to using the 2800mHZ profile because of this. 

For the time being, I used the 2800mHZ, until last weekend when I decided to have a look at this issue. I ram a memTest at 2800mHZ and there were no errors. I then did some research on DRAM OC and used the DRAM Calculator 1.7 and Thaiphoon to create a group of settings for 3000mHZ (at SAFE). This profile did not work for my PC at all and I had to reset the CMOS to get back into the bios. 

Can anyone help with this issue? It is driving me up the wall!

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600

RAM: Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 2*8GB (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX (BIOS Version is latest)

PSU: CoolerMaster MasterWatt 650

GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 1060 6GB OC

Have you tried it in on slot, testing it and seeing how it behaves? Put a single stick in, set to XMP profile and see how it behaves. Then if it does, install second stick and try. Sometimes these systems have a hard time with memory training. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

probably a incompatible set for that board, 3000MHz sounds more like Intel clock speeds as they tend to run around 3200 or so. It might not be optimized for Ryzen based boards/cpus

Check to see if the memory is compatible with your board at Corsair, hopefully they have a list. (also will check myself, bit curious)

Well, there is alot of LPX dimms that Corsair made, some of which are not optimized for AMD usage. Ill link a list below, try to match it with the set you have to see if they work or not.

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360030465392-AMD-RYZEN-2000-3000-SERIES-Memory-Compatibility-List-

on secondthought... it isn't optimized.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

image.png.cd155bb2ae720f4ae437c8a6381a4a79.png

40 minutes ago, GUVII said:

Well, there is alot of LPX dimms that Corsair made, some of which are not optimized for AMD usage. Ill link a list below, try to match it with the set you have to see if they work or not.

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360030465392-AMD-RYZEN-2000-3000-SERIES-Memory-Compatibility-List-

on secondthought... it isn't optimized.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

image.png.cd155bb2ae720f4ae437c8a6381a4a79.png

Ahhh, ok then; so the being the PC noob that I am I would need to buy another set of AMD optimised RAM then. This must be the problem then because my motherboard works absolutely fine and I don't think there are any other components I should pin it on?

1 hour ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

Have you tried it in on slot, testing it and seeing how it behaves? Put a single stick in, set to XMP profile and see how it behaves. Then if it does, install second stick and try. Sometimes these systems have a hard time with memory training. 

I have done MemTests and then have had no issues. GUVI's response would make sense I think. It's the first 'fact' that I have come across that could be the reason why would you agree? 

Yeah, Ryzen can be picky. So possible. Definitely wouldn't rule that one out for sure. However, try my thing. It sounds like nonsense but I have had it work. 

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

39 minutes ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

Yeah, Ryzen can be picky. So possible. Definitely wouldn't rule that one out for sure. However, try my thing. It sounds like nonsense but I have had it work. 

Ok, I'll give that a try then; put one stick in and try, unplug the PSU for 10/15 mins and boot at 3000mHz.

1 minute ago, C0nfused4 said:

Ok, I'll give that a try then; put one stick in and try, unplug the PSU for 10/15 mins and boot at 3000mHz.

Put one stick in, set to XMP profile. See if it works. If it does, shot duwn, put in second stick, see if both work. You may want to let your system power cycle a few times. It may have to do memory training. 

2 hours ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

Put one stick in, set to XMP profile. See if it works. If it does, shot duwn, put in second stick, see if both work. You may want to let your system power cycle a few times. It may have to do memory training. 

I did that; I used one stick at 3000mHZ, and then did some tests and am now onto the 2nd stick. Running some tests right now. I will probably have to see if over night the issue happens again (takes multiple failed boot attempts before successfully booting). Will message this thread again tomorrow.

Okay sounds like a plan. Lets hope it works! :) If not then no harm done. 

On 4/19/2020 at 6:40 PM, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

Okay sounds like a plan. Lets hope it works! :) If not then no harm done. 

Okay, it did help but same issues have started to happen again. I tried using the DRAM Calculator on the memory kit and at Safe mode it wouldn't post at all even at speeds of 2800mHZ. Do you think that because it is aimed for Intel Chips this could be the fundamental issue? @Pickles - Lord of the Jar

I don't think so. It is just possible the ram isn't liked by your board

11 hours ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

I don't think so. It is just possible the ram isn't liked by your board

Yh, I do think that is the case. Looks like I'm buying a new memory kit at some point😬

Lesson learnt