Dear LTT, please stop hating Apple

zicru
3 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Apple are very stubborn; they'll have a shitty design and instead of immediately fixing it, they'll start by blaming the customer, then "refreshing" said flawed part without directly addressing the issue.

The eligible models vary from 2015 to 2019, I don't care if the replacement is free, that's just fucking bullshit.

they changed the keyboard through those years. the 2018 keyboard is different from the 2017 keyboard etc etc. 

4 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

And there where a lot of complaints, they only changed it after about 4 fucking years.

you realise it takes time to design a new keyboard right? if they didn't release a new machine every few years people would be yelling that they are outdated. besides, they took their time with the 2018 models, and people did start yelling that they were outdated since they had 7th gen chips when everything else moved over to 8th gen. the 2018's had additional protection built-in to the keyboard that must have takes some time to design and make. and it did work. it wasn't perfect, which is why they still fail, but for context, I have a 2017 MBP and my dad has a 2018. on mine a few keys are sometimes mushy and one is permanently mushy. my dad's keyboard is just fine. 

7 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Also the "clean your keyboard" thing that they said before the warranties became a thing.

how is that a "you're holding it wrong" thing? it does work. my x key started double pressing, and compressed air fixed it. there is nothing wrong with apple telling users how to possibly fix a problem, especially if it's effective. 

She/Her

Daily apple user here for years, desktops, laptops and phones. So albeit "annecdotal", non scientific, and small sample size, I do have to say:

The only thing that apple could make that doesnt suck would be vacuumcleaners.

Only reason I use it is cause my employer pays for it and forces it.

How many Apple techs needed to change a lightbulb? Zero, headquarters will simply make dark mode the new standard.

For crying out loud people, i could set windows 1.0 color scheme to dark, its called used preferences... coming next year: apples new invention greatest thing since sliced bread: blue or red mode? Gimme a break, its a fing backround color and text color selection.

Looking forward to the year 2021 version  monitor stand though, already looking for a 400k a year job to affort the mortage needed just for the downpaymennt 😂😂

2 minutes ago, Twilight said:

they changed the keyboard through those years. the 2018 keyboard is different from the 2017 keyboard etc etc. 

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Twilight said:

you realise it takes time to design a new keyboard right? if they didn't release a new machine every few years people would be yelling that they are outdated. besides, they took their time with the 2018 models, and people did start yelling that they were outdated since they had 7th gen chips when everything else moved over to 8th gen. the 2018's had additional protection built-in to the keyboard that must have takes some time to design and make. and it did work. it wasn't perfect, which is why they still fail, but for context, I have a 2017 MBP and my dad has a 2018. on mine a few keys are sometimes mushy and one is permanently mushy. my dad's keyboard is just fine.

They can go back to the designs that actually work until they make a better version.

I would expect better QA from the get-go when I'm buying a $1000+ laptop, but hey, that's just me.

4 minutes ago, Twilight said:

how is that a "you're holding it wrong" thing? it does work. my x key started double pressing, and compressed air fixed it. there is nothing wrong with apple telling users how to possibly fix a problem, especially if it's effective. 

You're right, having a spec of dust render some of the keys on my keyboard useless is way dumber when compared to having my phone lose signal cause I held it wrong.

I like Apple so stop reviewing their products more negatively than I would

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

You're right, having a spec of dust render some of the keys on my keyboard useless is way dumber when compared to having my phone lose signal cause I held it wrong.

not my point and you know it. regardless, the broken key on mine is different than dust it feels like some kind of sugar or something, but it's just one key. maybe a can of soda was opened and a drop got into it idk, but it feels different than the x key did when it double pressed. 

She/Her

3 hours ago, Java said:

Yeah I'm not going to praise a company selling $700 wheels for their already overpriced computers

apple_wtf.png

Makes me wonder 2 things:

1) im confused. Are these mac pro only, or are these "pro" version of the weels? (Where regular apple wheels would only be 650 😂

2:

Roller wheels set: 70 bucks. Apple roller wheels 700 bucks

White shoes: 50bucks. Bridal white shoes 500 bucks (for those not yet married, the difference between white stuff and bridal white stuff is the price tag on the box multiplies by 10).

So i imagine "bridal mac pro wheels" would be 7000? 😂😂 easy money for them: just change the black rings to white.

1 minute ago, Bartholomew said:

1) im confused. Are these mac pro only, or are these "pro" version of the weels? (Where regular apple wheels would only be 650 😂

They're specifically for the mac pro. They attach to 4 stands on the bottom.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, Bartholomew said:

Makes me wonder 2 things:

They're Mac Pro only. But I wouldn't be surprised if they released a "Pro" version of the wheels at double the price.

2 minutes ago, Twilight said:

not my point and you know it. regardless, the broken key on mine is different than dust it feels like some kind of sugar or something, but it's just one key. maybe a can of soda was opened and a drop got into it idk, but it feels different than the x key did when it double pressed. 

I don't, actually, but fuck it, use whatever you want.

38 minutes ago, Twilight said:

No they didn't. They continued selling the same faulty crap, as Rossmann pointed out as soon as the new models were released they were added on the existing warranty recall list becasue it was the same known bad shit.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

No they didn't. They continued selling the same faulty crap, as Rossmann pointed out as soon as the new models were released they were added on the existing warranty recall list becasue it was the same known bad shit.

No, you see, they added a plastic flap to it so it's different. Innovation, dude!

I think the world would be a better place if adults were required to comprehend the difference between objective fact and subjective opinion.

Objectively, Apple is a great company. They're the most successful business in history, worth more than any other on the planet. Fundamentally poor businesses with poor products cannot achieve this unless there is a monopolistic aspect to the sector, which there certainly is not.

Subjectively, Apple may be an awful company with terrible products for you. While this is objective fact for you, you can't conflate that with the rest of the population and ignore the aforementioned objective fact that they are wildly successful and well received in comparison to the rest of the industry.

This post was brought to you by someone who currently doesn't own a single Apple product.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

19 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

they did change it, google it. it wasn't perfect, which is why it was added to the list. 

besides, would you rather it not be on that list and having to pay for a new top case ($700)? 

She/Her

16 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

No, you see, they added a plastic flap to it so it's different. Innovation, dude!

doesn't matter what they added, it was effective. not perfect, but it did help. 

She/Her

12 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

They're the most successful business in history, worth more than any other on the planet.

Saudi Aramco, MS and Amazon are worth more.   As of today's market cap values.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Fun fact: YouTube channels can be opinionated and don't have to conform to your opinions. LTT, from my experience, really hasn't been particularly biased towards one end of the spectrum on letting Apple buttfuck them with a bunch of love or wanting to shoot up the Apple Campus. People just get mad when opinions don't match theirs, even when the objective reality is different to their opinion.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Saudi Aramco, MS and Amazon are worth more.   As of today's market cap values.

Market cap and market value aren't the same thing. Regardless, that really has little to nothing to do with the point I was making.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

12 minutes ago, Twilight said:

besides, would you rather it not be on that list and having to pay for a new top case ($700)? 

I'd rather not have a device that would need such a repair or having to pay that much if it was out of warranty, this brings back what I said about other manufacturers allowing you to buy replacement parts directly from them, instead of having to pay for "certified repair"

14 minutes ago, Twilight said:

doesn't matter what they added, it was effective. not perfect, but it did help. 

It just prolonged the inevitable, it was as much of a fix as putting a band aid on a cracked wall; sure it's helping right now, but it's not going to stop the wall from falling apart. 

Again, I would expect better QA from a product that I paid thousands for.

2 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Market cap and market value aren't the same thing. Regardless, that really has little to nothing to do with the point I was making.

I know,, but it annoys me because all these little things add up to people making all sorts of claims,  When Apple was the most valued company (by market cap) it was always used as a reason for apple being better,  the number of times we would here "but they are the biggest company",  like that metric means anything.   Search through this forums history for this and you'll see some real doozy rationalizations for value and quality.    How many people would claim saudi Aramco makes great products because they are the richest company in the world?  not many,  it's kinda like use a course metric to qualify a fine component.

Anyway, now I just put the information right and let people decide for themselves if they want to believe what they read.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

iPhones get a lot of shit because it's Apple. And this is coming from someone (me) who was borderline Apple hater and have been on Android since Eiclar (Android 2.1) and up to Pie (9.0). And then made a switch to iOS 12 with iPhone XR due to privacy issues I have with Google and all their shit. And like I said many times, only actual complaint I still have over Apple and iOS here is lack of BT communication with other BT capable phones coz they insist on silly AirDrop and AirDrop only and the fact you can't set a default browser. The fact they all run Safari engine doesn't even bother me at all at this point, but this shuffling between browser you manually open and what opens when you're clicking links is dumb. I hear it's in the works for iOS 14, but only rumors so far.

For the rest, I actually don't have ANY complaints. And I have the cheapest one of X lineup. Build quality and feel in hand is just outstanding, it's stupid fast at everything I throw at it, the display is excellent despite "only" being LCD. It makes amazing photos, battery lasts me for like 2 days and I only charge it to 80%, everything just works and you have no dicking around with dumb shit like on Android and all the updates are timely and guaranteed for like 5 years. Even if I don't ignore the silly BT and browser thing, the whole experience is outstanding compared to any Android phone I had.

Going back to the LTT complaints, maybe they hate on Apple a tiny bit here and there, but in general most of complaints are legitimate. Like in latest WAN show where Linus talked about stupidity of calling new iPhone SE just iPhone SE and what a confusion it creates with original iPhone SE. And I was there like, yeah dude, you're right. How are you going to look up anything about it when search results will be overflowing with old iPhone SE information. Or finding any info on it as whole.

Unlike the OP, I was onboard the Apple train after deciding the ditch PC gaming in 2007 (I was broke, couldnt afford anything, and was attending med-school). I had switched to Ubuntu for my daily driver. When I started residency I bought a white Unibody macbook as my program paid for it. I fell in love with Mac OS. It was snappy, and not as buggy as my former windows experience. I subscribed to the iphone and ipad culture, and am currently the proud owner of an 11 pro iphone. Over the past few years my own personal view of Apple shattered for many reasons (ill rant below). Now I agree with the OP that a lot of people that are hating on Apple have never used an Apple product, or may have had a one off experience, but what is MY personal gripe with their products?

1- Apple Care.... Rather than offer a decent warranty program on their expensive hardware, you have to purchase an extra plan. Oh and guess what, they will weasel out of repairing your product for free even if you have Apple Care, ask me... I paid $1200 for a board replacement and they didnt even restore my data, thank god for my backups

2- The hardware. In 2016, I was still disconnected from the PC world and wanted a replacement for my Unibody macbook so I decided to buy my 2016 MBP (fully loaded mind you). The upgrades were expensive for what you got. I cant even remember how much I paid to upgrade from the base Radeon GPU to the 4gb 460. The thermal solution is also terrifying. This thing gets HOT, all in favor for form factor. 

3- The cost of necessary accessories. Now I expect that when I buy a computer, I should be able to plug in my stuff instantly... the switch to all Thunderbolt USB-Cs and not including at least one dongle is too cheap for such a high end product. 

4- Mac OS... I still prefer this OS to windows overall, but gaming support sucks. But for productivity tasks, photo editing, and other things that I normally do on my laptop I enjoy using MacOS. My gripes have been discontinuing support for legacy PowerPC encoded software. I have lost access to some interesting and irreplaceable pieces of software when they decided to ditch this support. Also, with their most recent updates I have run into a lot of issues with 32 bit software that I was relying on. They also blocked Java and hence I can no longer ImageJ without workarounds.

5- Bluetooth file sharing with no Apple devices... Yeah its painful, why cant I "airdrop" a small document to my PC?

I daily drive an iPhone and I dont think I'd switch to an Android yet, but in my opinion iPads are not that useful. I am currently using the newest iPad Air (I think theyre on Gen 3). What do I use my ipad for? Mostly Facebook, sketches, and watching Youtube. I havent done any real work on that thing in ages. I think Apple have lost their direction with their iPads over the past few years.

Does Apple deserve the hate it gets? I can say, not all of it. Do they deserve praise? I'm not sure. They have had ample issues with their butterfly keyboards and it them forever to take responsibility for a bad design. I miss the old more innovative Apple.

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

1 hour ago, RyzenDoctor said:

My gripes have been discontinuing support for legacy PowerPC encoded software. I have lost access to some interesting and irreplaceable pieces of software when they decided to ditch this support.

can't you just buy a PowerPC Mac for this? or a Mac that can run Snow Leopard so you have Rosetta? I see G5's listed here for like €50, and those are dual processor G5's, like really nice one's that are more than fast enough to run powerpc software really well. 

She/Her

8 hours ago, Twilight said:

No, I'd rather they didn't introduce new premium, top dollar products with known flaws.

No point buying something that you know for sure at some point you'll have to ship for repair and be for 2 weeks without it. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

No, I'd rather they didn't introduce new premium, top dollar products with known flaws.

That's too much to ask.

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

No point buying something that you know for sure at some point you'll have to ship for repair and be for 2 weeks without it. 

They added the devices to the warranty list, so it's okay if your $1000+ laptop prematurely shits the bed. /s

8 hours ago, RejZoR said:

iPhones get a lot of shit because it's Apple. And this is coming from someone (me) who was borderline Apple hater and have been on Android since Eiclar (Android 2.1) and up to Pie (9.0). And then made a switch to iOS 12 with iPhone XR due to privacy issues I have with Google and all their shit. And like I said many times, only actual complaint I still have over Apple and iOS here is lack of BT communication with other BT capable phones coz they insist on silly AirDrop and AirDrop only and the fact you can't set a default browser. The fact they all run Safari engine doesn't even bother me at all at this point, but this shuffling between browser you manually open and what opens when you're clicking links is dumb. I hear it's in the works for iOS 14, but only rumors so far.

For the rest, I actually don't have ANY complaints. And I have the cheapest one of X lineup. Build quality and feel in hand is just outstanding, it's stupid fast at everything I throw at it, the display is excellent despite "only" being LCD. It makes amazing photos, battery lasts me for like 2 days and I only charge it to 80%, everything just works and you have no dicking around with dumb shit like on Android and all the updates are timely and guaranteed for like 5 years. Even if I don't ignore the silly BT and browser thing, the whole experience is outstanding compared to any Android phone I had.

Going back to the LTT complaints, maybe they hate on Apple a tiny bit here and there, but in general most of complaints are legitimate. Like in latest WAN show where Linus talked about stupidity of calling new iPhone SE just iPhone SE and what a confusion it creates with original iPhone SE. And I was there like, yeah dude, you're right. How are you going to look up anything about it when search results will be overflowing with old iPhone SE information. Or finding any info on it as whole.

Don’t agree with the SE thing. If you’re looking up the pages are clearly labelled with the SE 2020 etc and most have a photo of the phone on top of the page. Plus the OG SE is likely dropping support this year with the 6S unless they’re gonna be kept alive for another year. Plus with Linus looking for the iOS version and stuff he could have literally just gone to Wikipedia or GSM I suspect he was trying to prove a point that really isn’t there. 

They seem to bash Apple products over a lack of understanding. For example the dual core MacBook Air saying you can’t multitask on a dual core. You can. Even in windows 10 it’s doable. In MacOS as long as you’re not rendering video or something similar a dual core with 8GB of RAM is more than enough. Secondly the iPhone SEs battery being 1800mah. It’s the same chassis as the 8. The 8 has a 1800mah battery, the 8 lasts all day, the 8 has a less efficient SoC. why would a 1800mah battery be an issue?

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?