Dear LTT, please stop hating Apple

zicru

TL;DR

10-15 min read

Dear LTT, 

As the title says, please stop the Apple hate. 

This will go down a couple of years down the memory lane - and of course, everything I say here is just my personal opinion, which is subject to change if given the right arguments. 

I've been a tech fan for as long as I know. That's how I found LTT channel, and I fell in love at first sight.
Sometimes I would literally binge watch old videos ( published before I found it ) for hours.  

I consider myself an old subscriber given that the sub count at the time was roughly around 1-2M. Now, why is this important? 

Well, I've been a loyal follower ever since, and if I noticed and loved something - it's that Linus, and his staff, were often brutally honest and most of all fair when doing a review.

I've probably been the biggest Apple hater in the world until recently. And I really mean that. Sometimes I would binge watch Louis Rossman's videos, "I hate Apple" videos, and such, just to fuel my hate and anger towards them and how they're overpriced, underpowered, etc... You know what those things are. 

And that all started right here, at the LTT channel ( being the only one I watched in the beginning ). Now, admittedly, my personality kind of attributed to this, and over the years the hatred grew, being fueled by other videos aside from LTT. 

One day, I decided to stop being the hater. I realised what I was doing and I needed a change. Somehow, conveniently, around that time, I stumbled upon the "It's time to stop hating Apple" video by Apple Explained - and let me tell you - I was very hesitant to watch it. My mind went something like this - "How on earth does someone make a video like this - it's impossible". I didn't want to watch it, but I did. 
I opened my mind, watched the video, and I was left speechless. I felt ashamed for who I was. Oh yeah, did I mention that I actually never owned, or even held a newer iPhone ( at the time ) or any other Apple product? Yup. I hated products I never used. 

Then, I started wondering about the things I prefer in tech - and I only looked at my behaviour, not the "facts" I would yell soo often.

Example: I would bash Apple for not being able to see my wallpaper and arrange my icons the way I want it ( lack of customisation ). Then I realised that I literally don't move an app off my home screen(s) when it's installed, I would just leave them all there. Also, that I wouldn't ever change or look at my wallpaper. 

The second example - "snappiness" and the fluid feeling of a device. Now, it's true that I never really owned a flagship, but I would often have the phone right below it ( usually Samsung's like A5, later A9 ). And while they were snappy, every so often they would just stutter, and it drove me crazy ( I know, it's not a big deal for many people, but it was for me ). 

And one more thing.. Longevity - let's just say that 2 years were too old for a non flagship to a tech geek.

This is when I realised that my entire tech "opinion" was based on LTT videos ( and alike ), but my tech habits and preferences were vastly different. 

The Apple hate was gone at this point, and I started wondering - maybe Apple devices are the right devices for me ( not everyone ).

At this time I was rocking a Windows / Linux dual boot laptop - and boy did it suck. I am a developer, by the way, and because of that, what I needed was a Unix based OS, but also programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, etc... Point being, dual boot was my only option ( or so I thought ). 

One day, being one of a Startup founders, I had a meeting. I was supposed to video call my friend ( the second founder ) so that he could join us, because he couldn't make it in person. 
Long story short, my mic and my camera were malfunctioning, he wasn't able to join, and I kind of got embarrassed in front of those people. 

Also, one of them had a MacBook, and I fell in love with the design as soon as I saw it. 

This is when I realised that the MacOS is probably the OS for me, solving my needs for apps, but most of all a very new found need - reliability.  

I bought a maxed out 2012 15" Non-retina MacBook Pro, and man... I was stunned. I still am stunned how good this machine is. How awesome MacOS is. 

The trackpad and the spotlight alone are enough of a reason to never look back again. I will not mention build quality. The standby battery optimisation. The Apple Ecosystem integration. 

The list can go on forever. I'm simply in love with this machine. 

Slowly but surely, I went from an Apple hater to an Apple sheep. I replaced my phone with an iPhone, and started watching Apple videos, and started defending Apple from people like I was myself. 

Now, I remember what I was like, and I still think Apple does some things "bad" ( not bad, but just in the way that we don't prefer or understand it ). But, every tech company does!

Okay, sorry, I might've made this a bit too long. But I had to mention all of this, since I'm kind of expecting a flood of people just jumping on me how I'm an Apple sheep, someone who doesn't care about tech, someone stupid, etc... I really needed to clarify where I'm coming from. 

It's time to come back to LTT videos. 

It was at this point, when it all changed, and when I got A LOT more familiar with Apple as a company, and their products, that I realised what LTT wasn't actually that fair and honest when doing a review - at least when it comes to Apple products. 

Let me explain on a perfect example - 2018 iPad Pro. 

I felt like that video carried a message - "Do not buy the iPad Pro. It's stupid, pointless, overpriced. Its lack of mouse support is a terrible thing and Apple is just soo funny for even making it."

Now step back: That's a message about the best tablet in the world. Period. Nothing even comes remotely close to it, and anyone saying otherwise is just spiteful or wrong.  

What happens next? Apple releases the iPadOS, adds ( a not really serious ) mouse support - Boom! 

You've probably watched that video, and how LTT bashed on Apple, again, and if not, it's basically a couple of minutes saying - "Well it's nice that they added this, so now it's a little less pointless, BUT OMG LOOK AT THAT MOUSE SUPPORT ITS SOO BAD". 

I'm exaggerating, but not by much.

And the most recent event, and the reason why I even decided to write all of this, being the iPad Pro 2020 release. 

It's a very minor refresh, true. But again, there are a couple of minutes devoted only to the ( still kind of meh ) mouse support. 

So, LTT, let me answer a couple of questions you asked. You actually explicitly asked - Who needs this? Please write us down.

Business owners, students, artists, gamers ( yes, mobile gaming is a thing regardless of the fact that it's laughable compared to PC ), designers, etc... 

And the iPad is designed to be used primarly with touch input - even though you somehow forget to mention just how smooth and easy ( and FUN ) it is to navigate with all the gestures, snappiness, etc... 

And I don't see in any videos how you're complaining about the sorry excuse of a touch input in Windows laptops.  

This is the one of the proofs of your unfairness towards Apple. And it's totally okay to be biased - everyone is. 

But it's unfair to not mention the awesome things about Apple products, and point out and rant about the bad ones and make it seem like they're garbage. 

Lastly, I just want to add one small thing - the Apple products may not have the best specs, but they have something I have never felt ( to this extent ) in any other device - the fluid experience of using an ecosystem of devices that work SOO WELL with each other.

Also, just how natural and intuitive the MacOS feels is still stunning for me to this day. 

So, here we are at the end. I'm not trying to tell you how you should think, or run your channel. It's your opinion, and it's your right to do whatever you want and feel like. 

But as someone who defended you through the "stupid" faces, "Corporate douche", or "Funny little guy", and personally looks up to you and highly values your opinions, I am asking you to stop the Apple hate trend. It's unfair, and I'm starting to feel like it's ruining for me the other ( non-Apple ) videos you make.  

Do as you will.  

4 minutes ago, zicru said:

That's a message about the best tablet in the world. Period. Nothing even comes remotely close to it, and anyone saying otherwise is just spiteful or wrong.  

Subjective. You trying to claim it being the best tablet in the world as a fact is wrong.

5 minutes ago, zicru said:

But it's unfair to not mention the awesome things about Apple products, and point out and rant about the bad ones and make it seem like they're garbage.

I disagree. Most of the time, various devices' shortcomings and issues are far more important than what they do well and as such it is generally a good thing to pay more attention to the shortcomings and issues. Also, in general, I find LTT's videos on Apple's devices to be perfectly fair.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

17 minutes ago, zicru said:

And the iPad is designed to be used primarly with touch input - even though you somehow forget to mention just how smooth and easy ( and FUN ) it is to navigate with all the gestures, snappiness, etc... 

the video was more about what makes this new ipad pro different to the last ipad pro. and the answer is: not much. an ios devie is an ios device, there's only so many things you can say about a tiny incremental update that isn't just being rehashed from previous videos

20 minutes ago, zicru said:

why? this video is about the new ipad pro. therefore they should only talk about the new ipad pro and how it compares to last years model. why would they need to bring up any other products?

21 minutes ago, zicru said:

And I don't see in any videos how you're complaining about the sorry excuse of a touch input in Windows laptops.  

touch on windows is fine. it's not designed to be a tablet like iOS/iPadOS is, you cannot compare the two. Touch on windows is a nice to have, i use it a LOT, but very rarely is it the focus of the product. i went to Apple's website and clicked on the new iPad Pro. The literal first paragraph:

Your next computer is not a computer.

It’s a magical piece of glass.
It’s so fast most PC laptops can’t catch up.
It has pro cameras that can transform reality.
And you can use it with touch, pencil, keyboard and now trackpad.
It’s the new iPad Pro.

They are pushing this as being the next big feature and what sets it apart from the previous version.

There is very very little reason to buy the 2020 iPad pro, which is exactly what the video is saying, the video is titled "Apple screwed this up..." which is 100% accurate. the iPad Pro is supposed to be the best of the best, but when they throw in completely unnecessary features with half assed implementation, then it takes away from what is good about Apple. They are slowly becoming more and more like any other manufacturer. Apple WAS the pinnacle of quality and simplicity, Not so true anymore. 

And not to pick apart your post but:

26 minutes ago, zicru said:

I'm not trying to tell you how you should think, or run your channel.

I am asking you to stop the Apple hate trend

Do as you will.  

Sure is a lot of contradiction at the end there

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I've worked on a few mac mostly order pre 2015 macbook pros and those are fine, skipping the weird 2013 mac that was upgradeable but never got any new gpus. mac pro line is fine to good. Other than they have hiked the price, chosen bad value parts and have said screw you to anyone who doesn't have 10k to drop on a machine.

iMacs look nice but need work on making them easy to get into to clean. they have usually a pretty good value considering the screen until you want to upgrade and use that same screen.

Mac mini, 2018 refresh is a good update but a version with a GPU is needed to fill a spot that the 2-3k mac pro used to be in.

overall issues with 99% of post 2015 macs. No ports, fixed ram, SSD, impossible to get parts.

new macbooks suck. they have charging issues, no real ports, bad cooling, ect.

The new iphones are fast sure but 1500$ for a phone is crazy. I'd take a 500$ phone and a 1k camera any day.

if apple went back to 2015 skip the mac pro taking 7 years they'd be a good company but they've gone down the drain.

quick note I daily a 6s and then a 5s before. My gf uses a 2013 15 and used to use a 2015 13. I used 2010 mac pros in school for 3 years and did major work on them.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I have never used an Apple-device, I can't comment on how they feel like to use or anything like that. For me, personally, their application-policies are the thing that prevents me from buying any of their devices, like e.g. I wouldn't be able to use the real Firefox on the iPads or iPhones. No, the only Firefox you can use is the bastardized thing where Apple forces them to use Apple's web-engine instead of Firefox's own, for example. Also, Apple just won't allow some perfectly legit apps on their app-store, like e.g. Geforce Now.

It should be my decision what apps I want to use or not to use and I am not willing to compromise on my ability to use e.g. Firefox, since I use it on every other device I own.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I have never used an Apple-device, I can't comment on how they feel like to use or anything like that. For me, personally, their application-policies are the thing that prevents me from buying any of their devices, like e.g. I wouldn't be able to use real Firefox on the iPads or iPhones. No, the only Firefox you can use it the bastardized thing where Apple forces them to use Apple's web-engine instead of Firefox's own, for example. Also, Apple just won't allow some perfectly legit apps on their app-store, like e.g. Geforce Now.

It should be my decision what apps I want to use or not to use and I am not willing to compromise on my ability to use e.g. Firefox, since I use it on every other device I own.

I've used an iPad 3rd gen Retina, iPad 2017 and iPad 2019. I've also used some LG and Huawei tablets. I can't really notice much of a difference. I mean sure, the Retina display is faster but I watch YouTube and read email on both, one just Costa five times more

12 minutes ago, zicru said:

Now, admittedly, my personality kind of attributed to this, and over the years the hatred grew, being fueled by other videos aside from LTT. 

One day, I decided to stop being the hater. I realised what I was doing and I needed a change.

So your hatred was your hobby and you realized it's bad and decided to change it,but that doesn't change the facts.

18 minutes ago, zicru said:

Now, it's true that I never really owned a flagship, but I would often have the phone right below it ( usually Samsung's like A5, later A9 ). And while they were snappy, every so often they would just stutter, and it drove me crazy ( I know, it's not a big deal for many people, but it was for me ). 

When you have a lot of apps that run in the background things like that happen...

A lot of Android apps tend to stay open in the background,even when not needed - That's how Whatsapp let you get calls

It's possible to change settings of background apps - for example you can set it to no background apps at all.

27 minutes ago, zicru said:

Long story short, my mic and my camera were malfunctioning

Can happen with any device,if the mic and camera both malfunctioned at the same time - it's probably a software wise problem and not hardware.

33 minutes ago, zicru said:

This is when I realised that the MacOS is probably the OS for me

Solution = Hackintosh

34 minutes ago, zicru said:

but most of all a very new found need - reliability.

???

I know Windows 10 is not reliable,Just because it's popular You don't have to use it.

I use Windows Server 2019 and Windows 7 in dual boot and they are extremely reliable.

And if you talk hardware reliability - Apple has a really bad track record: The butterfly keyboards,failing GPUs,corrupt T2 chip firmware and more.

As for PCs hardware reliability - It depends on the specific model and vendor.

39 minutes ago, zicru said:

Slowly but surely, I went from an Apple hater to an Apple sheep.

Being a fan-boy is not good,buy what's best for you,

I used to buy only AMD GPU in the past decade - Until the driver shenanigans went out of control,then i went NVIDIA and ever since i don't have problems.

But what do you do if Apple won't let you fix your own device?,Will you let them control your device?,

After all Apple dictate what apps you can and can't install from the app store,Will you let this happen or say good buy and buy from the competetion?

How much abuse will it take for you to stop being a fan boy?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

28 minutes ago, Arika S said:

It’s so fast most PC laptops can’t catch up.

Even the dual-core $1000 Macbook Air can't touch it 🤣

But my 7 years old quad core laptop can sweeps the floor with it,It is an upgradeable CPU that i can easily change :)

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

6 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

I think OP is confusing hate with criticizing.

uhh no. there is a very real pattern. for example, whenever they mention thermals they mention MacBooks, but ZenBooks are just as bad if you put an i9 in them. as are most other laptops that aren't thicc gaming laptops. 

7 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

There's also preference, and use cases to think about.

when you are a reviewer you can't factor preference into things. that's not how it works. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, Twilight said:

when you are a reviewer you can't factor preference into things

I would argue you can never really be totally objective 

27 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

I think OP is confusing hate with criticizing.

One is emotional, the other is rational.

There's also preference, and use cases to think about.

Yep. Linus and those at LTT do have fair points. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Just my two cents.

I'm not an Apple user, but my parents are. So, they want a bigger SSD than they have now on their macbook air or whatever. That really should be something super simple, but their SSDs are proprietary for no reason (aside from making the devices harder to upgrade without paying apple), so it's 5x more annoying and expensive to do the upgrade. My dad wanted memory foam tips for his airpods pro, but surprise surprise, they use this weird fitting mechanism so I can't use the KZ memory foam tips I use on pretty much all of my IEMs. So I had to buy separate special made tips, which are considerably more expensive, and are useless for anything aside from use with the airpod pros.

Apple products have directly made my life harder and more annoying (in a very minor way, but I'm exaggerating for effect), which is why I dislike them. This is most likely a permanent thing.

But, I do realise that these products have merits. They're simple to use, are aesthetically designed well, and the software is quite reliable (the hardware is not). But these products are advertised and priced as premium products, they're some of the most expensive in their respective categories, so it's to be expected that they do well. They're priced the way they are, so it's not an achievement that they're good, it's just an expected thing. So when Apple gets something wrong, which they do a lot, they get a lot of flak for it. And they should, if they can't take the heat and design a high-class product, they shouldn't be charging high class prices. So I generally think it's fair that Apple products are reviewed with more scrutiny than other products.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

7 minutes ago, ibabyslapper said:

Just my two cents.

I'm not an Apple user, but my parents are. So, they want a bigger SSD than they have now on their macbook air or whatever. That really should be something super simple, but their SSDs are proprietary for no reason (aside from making the devices harder to upgrade without paying apple), so it's 5x more annoying and expensive to do the upgrade. My dad wanted memory foam tips for his airpods pro, but surprise surprise, they use this weird fitting mechanism so I can't use the KZ memory foam tips I use on pretty much all of my IEMs. So I had to buy separate special made tips, which are considerably more expensive, and are useless for anything aside from use with the airpod pros.

Apple products have directly made my life harder and more annoying (in a very minor way, but I'm exaggerating for effect), which is why I dislike them. This is most likely a permanent thing.

But, I do realise that these products have merits. They're simple to use, are aesthetically designed well, and the software is quite reliable (the hardware is not). But these products are advertised and priced as premium products, they're some of the most expensive in their respective categories, so it's to be expected that they do well. They're priced the way they are, so it's not an achievement that they're good, it's just an expected thing. So when Apple gets something wrong, which they do a lot, they get a lot of flak for it. And they should, if they can't take the heat and design a high-class product, they shouldn't be charging high class prices. So I generally think it's fair that Apple products are reviewed with more scrutiny than other products.

What macs dot hey have? Because they have these things you can slap an NVME ssd into those systems:

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=macbook+pro+ssd+adapter

Works on MBAs 2013-2017 and MBP 2013-2015. 

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

1 minute ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

What macs dot hey have? Because they have these things you can slap an NVME ssd into those systems:

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=macbook+pro+ssd+adapter

Works on MBAs 2013-2017 and MBP 2013-2015. 

It was a Macbook Air, but this is a story from a few years ago it's already been done.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

Just now, ibabyslapper said:

It was a Macbook Air, but this is a story from a few years ago it's already been done.

Ah okay. I just recently found those adapters. Anything past that I want to slap Apple so hard in the head. Especially with the 2016+ MBPs. The newer systems are basically unfixable. It sucks. 

1 hour ago, Twilight said:

when you are a reviewer you can't factor preference into things. that's not how it works. 

Reviews contain facts and opinions, it's not their problem if you can't differentiate between the two.

1 hour ago, Twilight said:

uhh no. there is a very real pattern. for example, whenever they mention thermals they mention MacBooks, but ZenBooks are just as bad if you put an i9 in them. as are most other laptops that aren't thicc gaming laptops. 

So LTT shouldn't criticize Apple about thermals because there are other manufacturer's making the same mistake ??? Seems like an emotional response, not a logical one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

???? This is called LinusTechTips, not UnbiasedTechTips, he said many times, his reviews are his OPINION, and so, he has bias and preferences that will flavor his reviews. But that doesn't mean his, or anyone complaints are unfounded. There's a difference between a complete biased opinion that obviously omitted things, vs an opinion and complaint that's articulated.

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Being my age, and knowing the history to present of the company, there's really nothing to dislike. 

Just like any company, they have good and bad products and people have choices. One of the number one issues in the human matrix thoughts of society. Free choices. With that comes opinion. 

Opinion and emotion drives people's choices. 

Well, I remember Apple always being on the leading edge of technology. It doesn't matter to me that today, it's in your pocket, where yesterday, it was monochrome and bulky. 

Some people hate Windows and prefer Linux. Some people like Ford and Hate Dodge.

Just as long as the opinions stay respectful, and the acknowledgment remains the company has done amazing things in the last 45  years or so being founded in 1976. Look at the innovation that's out there now. Crazy to think how far they've come along now. 

Can you believe that? My first flight simulator was done on an old apple with a monochrome screen lol....... 

I just don't like their software products, but carry respect for the implementation with the hardware though.   

4 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

???? This is called LinusTechTips, not UnbiasedTechTips, he said many times, his reviews are his OPINION (and so, he has bias and preferences).

This. 100%.

Look for echo chamber style channels if you want to hear unending praise towards Apple.

2 minutes ago, Hakemon said:

I worked for Apple and even I hate Apple and can say the hate is welcome.  Come on just go watch a Louis Rossmann video once or twice, or all of them.  He's not wrong at all.

Some people don't believe Louis because "I never had issues, so he's lying, wrong, etc."

7 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

So LTT shouldn't criticize Apple about thermals because there are other manufacturer's making the same mistake ??? Seems like an emotional response, not a logical one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I meant they can mention the other manufacturers sometimes. they only mention apple. it's a small thing I admit, but it contributes to the whole "lmg hates apple" thing. 

8 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

???? This is called LinusTechTips, not UnbiasedTechTips, he said many times, his reviews are his OPINION, and so, he has bias and preferences that will flavor his reviews. But that doesn't mean his, or anyone complaints are unfounded. There's a difference between a complete biased opinion that obviously omitted things, vs an opinion and complaint that's articulated.

except that the reviews are made by other people and Linus just reads from a script. 

1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

Some people don't believe Louis because "I never had issues, so he's lying, wrong, etc."

I don't believe him on lots of things. sometimes he's right, but not always. 

regardless even he has praised apple and has said that he completely understands why Apple sells so good. watch the WAN show episode he was in. 

She/Her

7 minutes ago, Twilight said:

I meant they can mention the other manufacturers sometimes. they only mention apple. it's a small thing I admit, but it contributes to the whole "lmg hates apple" thing. 

What? They do though, and they criticize other manufacturer's when it's warranted. Not sure what you're implying here but to me, that doesn't make sense.

except that the reviews are made by other people and Linus just reads from a script. 

Yeah, they have writers, but when he reviews something he's been using (like phones), you can be sure it's his opinion and not the writer's one. Plus I'm sure he's working with them when scripting a video about a product he's used.

He repeated that the channel represent his views on a recent WAN show.

I don't believe him on lots of things. sometimes he's right, but not always. 

regardless even he has praised apple and has said that he completely understands why Apple sells so good. watch the WAN show episode he was in. 

^ 100%

But I personally unsubscribed because he started ranting too much for my liking and I preferred the "let me fix this laptop" type of video.

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Where are people even getting that linus or anyone at LMG specifically hates apple???

• Linus' daily earbuds are airpods pro
  • Linus' daily smartwatch is an AWS5
  • Alex was INCREDIBLY close to swapping his daily to a Macbook Air, and Linus didnt almost strictly because of the butterfly switch.
  • Atleast 2 of their editors are macOS users, though i dont recall who by name. I also recall quite a few iOS users.
  • LMG has at minimum 2 Mac Mini's deployed at their office

The only truly critical reviews of Apple devices i can recall in the recent past are... the 6 core MBP 15" (justified), and uhh... thats actually about it. That and i guess some people can take the iPad Pro 2019 and 2020 videos as critical? I dont, they critique apples utterly confusing stance on what the iPad Pro is, make a couple "whats a computer?" memes, and end off saying android tablets still suck.

EVERY flagship android smartphone video since the 11 Pro/Pro Max's launch has drawn a comparison to it and many have fallen short per LMG's own admission. If you scroll down through the new video feed to your right on the forum, the latest SC video is titled "Why cant anyone compete with apple?" You're really, REALLY grasping at straws here by making some claim that LTT is presenting any sort of bias against or for apple...

EDIT: I have used macOS and Windows interchangeably throughout my life, starting with OSX 10.1 and Windows XP and up to macOS Catalina and Windows 10. They both do what they are good at VERY well and anybody who says they hate one with 0 objectivity are genuinely part of the problem.

You can dislike macOS, iOS, Windows, Android, whatever it is; you can dislike the company because their morals dont line up with yours, you can dislike the products because you have experience with them and its missing this or that feature, or whatever. Some people hate iOS with a vehement passion because of apps snapping to a grid so you cant have empty space. Thats totally valid. What ISNT is never laying hands on a product in your life and saying you hate it. I cant go around saying "Windows phone was the worst thing ever!". Why? Because ive never used one in my life.

For your sake, and everybody elses, speak to what you know people. Having an opinion on something you have 0 experience with is incredibly short sighted and just undermines your own point.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは