Games that can be played online without the need for a paid subscription and how to go about setting up a Minecraft server

pcenthusiastuk

Hi, Thoroughly enjoy the Linus Tech Tips channel on YouTube and purchased from the LTT Store not too long ago.

Apologies in advance should this question need to be posted elsewhere on the forum. Whilst I really enjoy building rigs and literally just joined the the Linus Tech Tips F@H team as for game play on a PC and/or Console I'm not by any means a gamer however I'd like to ask the following gaming related questions which I'd really appreciate comments on please.

Are there any games that my 8-Year old and I can be play online similarly to X-Box Live but with no subscription on a Windows failing that Linux PC please? From what I've understood it's possible to get a Minecraft server up and running that my Son would be able to connect to remotely however I'm not 100% sure on how best to go about setting this up nor whether I'm misinterpreting what exactly a Minecraft server is nor how my Son would be able to connect to this.

Failing that should there be any other highly recommended games that the both of us could play on a PC remotely from each other that don't require any form of subscription please advise further on this. My Son absolutely loves placing Crash Bandicoot on his X-Box One S and we've both signed up to a 1-month trial to X-Box Live however neither my Son's Mother nor I am keen on paying for a continued subscription.

Perhaps it's Steam games that my Son and I need to consider buying that we can play online. Really don't know what the options are nor where to start. Many thanks for any suggestions.

Stay safe and well.

7 minutes ago, pcenthusiastuk said:

Hi, Thoroughly enjoy the Linus Tech Tips channel on YouTube and purchased from the LTT Store not too long ago.

Apologies in advance should this question need to be posted elsewhere on the forum. Whilst I really enjoy building rigs and literally just joined the the Linus Tech Tips F@H team as for game play on a PC and/or Console I'm not by any means a gamer however I'd like to ask the following gaming related questions which I'd really appreciate comments on please.

Are there any games that my 8-Year old and I can be play online similarly to X-Box Live but with no subscription on a Windows failing that Linux PC please? From what I've understood it's possible to get a Minecraft server up and running that my Son would be able to connect to remotely however I'm not 100% sure on how best to go about setting this up nor whether I'm misinterpreting what exactly a Minecraft server is nor how my Son would be able to connect to this.

Failing that should there be any other highly recommended games that the both of us could play on a PC remotely from each other that don't require any form of subscription please advise further on this. My Son absolutely loves placing Crash Bandicoot on his X-Box One S and we've both signed up to a 1-month trial to X-Box Live however neither my Son's Mother nor I am keen on paying for a continued subscription.

Perhaps it's Steam games that my Son and I need to consider buying that we can play online. Really don't know what the options are nor where to start. Many thanks for any suggestions.

Stay safe and well.

for a mc server I assume you are using bedrock on xbox. Use your pc and your son can join from xbox

NOTE: I AM NEVER ALWAYS RIGHT, BUT I AM HAPPY TO HELP ANYWAY I CAN

Tag me @WambleCropped or quote me so I can see your reply

My Rig: RTX 2060, R7 1700X, Samsung 860 500GB, Masterlite Liquid Cooler, Asrock Pro B540,16GB of RAM G.Skill 2133

PSU Tier List                    SSD Tier List                              Graphics Tier List

Hey, Steam have this Remote Play feature that allow you play your Local Co-op games remotely. No sub fee what so ever iirc.

https://store.steampowered.com/remoteplay_together | List of games that support Remote Play

https://store.steampowered.com/remoteplay

You still need to pay for the game though. 😅

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

51 minutes ago, WambleCropped said:

for a mc server I assume you are using bedrock on xbox. Use your pc and your son can join from xbox

Thank you. Much appreciated.

34 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Hey, Steam have this Remote Play feature that allow you play your Local Co-op games remotely. No sub fee what so ever iirc.

https://store.steampowered.com/remoteplay_together | List of games that support Remote Play

https://store.steampowered.com/remoteplay

You still need to pay for the game though. 😅

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Not heard of remote play.