Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spearlight

Need Help With i7-8700k Temps

so am refunding the dark rock 4 and buying a 360 AIO for my CPU

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Okay so i have an i7-8700k i just upgrade the cooler from a Hyper 212 Evo to a be quiet! Dark Rock 4, BK021, 200W TDP, CPU Cooler and i even used the old fan from the hyper 212 evo with the new cooler and the fan it also came with. The reason why i upgrade is because on the Hyper 212 Evo doing some heavy load well easily and i mean easily go up to 100c so i upgrade after a 1-2 years and now i have the dark rock 4 and i fire up cine bench and it not that much better still get in the 90-100 but it is keeping it more cool but not were i would want it so am wondering if the thermal paste from the be quiet cooler is just actually garbage for some reason or the cooler just can't cool. so can anyone help shed some light on this problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Spearlight said:

Okay so i have an i7-8700k i just upgrade the cooler from a Hyper 212 Evo to a be quiet! Dark Rock 4, BK021, 200W TDP, CPU Cooler and i even used the old fan from the hyper 212 evo with the new cooler and the fan it also came with. The reason why i upgrade is because on the Hyper 212 Evo doing some heavy load well easily and i mean easily go up to 100c so i upgrade after a 1-2 years and now i have the dark rock 4 and i fire up cine bench and it not that much better still get in the 90-100 but it is keeping it more cool but not were i would want it so am wondering if the thermal paste from the be quiet cooler is just actually garbage for some reason or the cooler just can't cool. so can anyone help shed some light on this problem.

Factory thermal paste is often lacking but tends to get the job done, though I never use it unless I have to.    The bottom of your cooler and the CPU heat spreader may not be perfect flat (rarely are) so the factory paste might not be sufficiently placed to cool your unique stuffs.

 

The 8700 isn't a crazy hot beastly CPU. I think you should be getting around 80 degrees +/- with the thing running full out in synthetic benchmarks.

 

The be quiet! Dark Rock 4 is massive, and should have more than enough capacity to cool your 8700. 

 

I would get some after market paste, wont matter which one, just what ever has a good price and rating on amazing and apply it.  Check your temps there after.

 

Keep in mind that using a synthetic bench mark to test your system's thermals is fine and dandy, though it's also unrealistic since you'll likely never be putting your CPU under that degree of stress in normal use.  You could just have a lower binned CPU that runs hot hot hot hot, Which isn't the end of the world provided your performance is where it should be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, _Kaurus said:

Factory thermal paste is often lacking but tends to get the job done, though I never use it unless I have to.    The bottom of your cooler and the CPU heat spreader may not be perfect flat (rarely are) so the factory paste might not be sufficiently placed to cool your unique stuffs.

 

The 8700 isn't a crazy hot beastly CPU. I think you should be getting around 80 degrees +/- with the thing running full out in synthetic benchmarks.

 

The be quiet! Dark Rock 4 is massive, and should have more than enough capacity to cool your 8700. 

 

I would get some after market paste, wont matter which one, just what ever has a good price and rating on amazing and apply it.  Check your temps there after.

 

Keep in mind that using a synthetic bench mark to test your system's thermals is fine and dandy, though it's also unrealistic since you'll likely never be putting your CPU under that degree of stress in normal use.  You could just have a lower binned CPU that runs hot hot hot hot, Which isn't the end of the world provided your performance is where it should be.

same i thought i should be getting at least ~80 degrees and yes i know that cine bench is unrealistic but i ran it to see the temp different but i mean right now with just 3 tabs of Firefox open am getting 40-46 degrees. but i believe i have some arctic silver if that what it called somewhere i know i also have corsair to but i differently give it a shot right now

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Spearlight said:

same i thought i should be getting at least ~80 degrees and yes i know that cine bench is unrealistic but i ran it to see the temp different but i mean right now with just 3 tabs of Firefox open am getting 40-46 degrees. but i believe i have some arctic silver if that what it called somewhere i know i also have corsair to but i differently give it a shot right now

40 for normal operation is fine :)

Put that silver on there and that will help with your max temps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
16 hours ago, _Kaurus said:

40 for normal operation is fine :)

Put that silver on there and that will help with your max temps.

okay so umm i updated the BIOS cause it was worth a shot and umm it fixed it highest i seen is 81-82 doing cinebench am still going to try to find the silver but i have this cooler master i know i have corsair but idk were lol.

 

15 hours ago, Spearlight said:

okay so umm i updated the BIOS cause it was worth a shot and umm it fixed it highest i seen is 81-82 doing cinebench am still going to try to find the silver but i have this cooler master i know i have corsair but idk were lol.

which one should i use cooler master or corsair lol

 

15 hours ago, Spearlight said:

okay so umm i updated the BIOS cause it was worth a shot and umm it fixed it highest i seen is 81-82 doing cinebench am still going to try to find the silver but i have this cooler master i know i have corsair but idk were lol.

okay update it did not fix the temps my CPU core was set to per core and not sync all after BIOS flash because i wasn't getting my score then an avg cpu would get like ~3100 instead of ~3700

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Spearlight said:

okay so umm i updated the BIOS cause it was worth a shot and umm it fixed it highest i seen is 81-82 doing cinebench am still going to try to find the silver but i have this cooler master i know i have corsair but idk were lol.

so then that would say your fan profile was like in silent mode or low volume mode or something similar.  nice job fixing it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, _Kaurus said:

so then that would say your fan profile was like in silent mode or low volume mode or something similar.  nice job fixing it!

okay update it did not fix the temps my CPU core was set to per core and not sync all after BIOS flash because i wasn't getting my score then an avg cpu would get like ~3100 instead of ~3700

Link to post
Share on other sites

What motherboard are you using and what's core voltage at under load? Are you using default settings?

The DR4 performs a bit better than the Hyper 212 Evo but either should've been fine for keeping temps under check with stock clocks. 


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
15 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What motherboard are you using and what's core voltage at under load? Are you using default settings?

The DR4 performs a bit better than the Hyper 212 Evo but either should've been fine for keeping temps under check with stock clocks. 

Am using the Asus prime z370-a everything is stock Beside the ram I enable XMP also how would I check core voltage under load edit: am using ICUE to monitor temps and am assuming VCPU is voltage for the cpu and it saying 1.38-1.36 under load but when not under load it at 1.41v

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Spearlight said:

Am using the Asus prime z370-a everything is stock Beside the ram I enable XMP also how would I check core voltage under load edit: am using ICUE to monitor temps and am assuming VCPU is voltage for the cpu and it saying 1.38-1.36 under load but when not under load it at 1.41v

I'm not sure how accurate that is but 1.4v is high. I personally use cpu-z. 

Stock core voltage should be 1.2v or less. 

 

Chances are that default motherboard settings enable Multicore Enhancement or something similar which is basically an auto-oc and not stock. Coupled with core voltage left at Auto, that can cause high core voltage and temps. Disabling that feature can help drop temps dramatically. If you want to oc, do it manually.


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

I'm not sure how accurate that is but 1.4v is high. I personally use cpu-z. 

Stock core voltage should be 1.2v or less. 

 

Chances are that default motherboard settings enable Multicore Enhancement or something similar which is basically an auto-oc and not stock. Coupled with core voltage left at Auto, that can cause high core voltage and temps. Disabling that feature can help drop temps dramatically. If you want to oc, do it manually.

yeah i just downloaded CPU-Z and ran it under load it goes from 1.360-1.376V and can i leave the XMP mode on and still do manual overclock on cpu. because idk how to overclock memory and my cpu am only going to overclock the core clock not the voltage because voltage scare me to much and while typing this i noticed on CPU-Z the Core Voltage is 1.392-1.408V so it having more Voltage being idle then under load werid

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

I'm not sure how accurate that is but 1.4v is high. I personally use cpu-z. 

Stock core voltage should be 1.2v or less. 

 

Chances are that default motherboard settings enable Multicore Enhancement or something similar which is basically an auto-oc and not stock. Coupled with core voltage left at Auto, that can cause high core voltage and temps. Disabling that feature can help drop temps dramatically. If you want to oc, do it manually.

so would you happen to know what option i should disable in the BIOS for the core enhancement and what should i put the stock Voltage at 1.2 am assuming. i know it can do 5GHz without clocking voltage but i want to aim for 5.1 or 5.2 honestly so what should be the voltage setting and also am going to be straight honestly with you am only 14 but computer and networking and figure this stuff out even by self or having other people help me fix some of this issues i don't care but it what i like to do i just wanted to say that although saying that might block my account.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Spearlight said:

so would you happen to know what option i should disable in the BIOS for the core enhancement and what should i put the stock Voltage at 1.2 am assuming. i know it can do 5GHz without clocking voltage but i want to aim for 5.1 or 5.2 honestly so what should be the voltage setting

Do not oc with core voltage left at Auto especially if you're aiming for such high clocks. That's an easy way to get high core voltage and temps and potentially damage components. Set it manually. 

5ghz will usually require 1.3-1.4v and that's already pretty heavy for your cooler as you can see with your temps.

For 5.1 - 5.2ghz, you need a binned cpu, or amazing luck and most likely better cooling / delidding. It's unrealistic for most 8700k's. https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

Look through the motherboard settings and try to get familiar with them. It's under Ai Tweaker Menu and called Multicore Enhancement or MCE and set to Auto by default. Disable it. You may need to go to Advanced Mode with F7.

 


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Do not oc with core voltage left at Auto especially if you're aiming for such high clocks. That's an easy way to get high core voltage and temps and potentially damage components. Set it manually. 

5ghz will usually require 1.3-1.4v and that's already pretty heavy for your cooler as you can see with your temps.

For 5.1 - 5.2ghz, you need a binned cpu, or amazing luck and most likely better cooling / delidding. It's unrealistic for most 8700k's. https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

Look through the motherboard settings and try to get familiar with them. It's under Ai Tweaker Menu and called Multicore Enhancement or MCE and set to Auto by default. Disable it. You may need to go to Advanced Mode with F7.

 

Well I don’t think I got a good cpu lol I disable the MCE and sync all cores to 50 and change voltage to 1.3v even tried 1.35 and Lower it down and to 1.25 and 1.20v and it doesn’t post it gets to the windows 10 screen the lockup’s I half to put core voltage to auto for it to post and it something to do with voltage when idle it goes to like 1.488-1.504v and turn up to max well like 4.99 out of 5GHz when I put it under load it goes to like 4.28ghz then droppes down to 3.88ghz so I can’t hit 5 ghz lol might half to try 4.8ghz lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spearlight said:

1.488-1.504v

That's dangerously high. I don't think your cooling solution can handle any higher than 1.3v

Start low at 4.4ghz and 1.25v and see how high you can push clocks with that and how high temps get before any more voltage. 


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

That's dangerously high. I don't think your cooling solution can handle any higher than 1.3v

Start low at 4.4ghz and 1.25v and see how high you can push clocks with that and how high temps get before any more voltage. 

Honesty speaking I think this cpu just runs to hot out from the start am running a be quit dark rock 4 with a pull and push config you know what I mean it should be Able to run at stock speeds though 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Spearlight said:

Honesty speaking I think this cpu just runs to hot out from the start am running a be quit dark rock 4 with a pull and push config you know what I mean it should be Able to run at stock speeds though 

As mentioned, default motherboard settings is not the same as stock speed. If you haven't already, disable Multicore Enhancement.


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

As mentioned, default motherboard settings is not the same as stock speed. If you haven't already, disable Multicore Enhancement.

I have already disable MCE

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Spearlight said:

I have already disable MCE

What's core voltage at? The DR4 isn't particularly beefy but should be fine for at least 1.25v without delidding which is plenty for stock speeds. 


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What's core voltage at? The DR4 isn't particularly beefy but should be fine for at least 1.25v without delidding which is plenty for stock speeds. 

So with at least 2hrs of testing I with running MCE off and I had issue of the core clock not turbo to were I set in bios after messing with voltage and notice after a certain point in cinebench my clock speed just go down to like 3.8ghz or Lower so for the heck of it I turn back on MCE then put the clock back at auto which is 4.7ghz boost but when I do this it pump slot of voltage as we seen so I put the voltage to manual and started at 1.25 and ran just fine temps ~80-87 never hitting 90 which was because it was giving to much voltage before but now I just ran a run at 1.23v I believe and temps are ~80-85 and at 12:48 it crashed so 1.24v or 1.25v is we’re it can be at might try doing 1.24v then after few days of no crash then I leave their but when crash I put it at 1.25v

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Spearlight said:

So with at least 2hrs of testing I with running MCE off and I had issue of the core clock not turbo to were I set in bios after messing with voltage and notice after a certain point in cinebench my clock speed just go down to like 3.8ghz or Lower

You might be running into power limits. Did you check out the oc'ing video guide linked above?


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
19 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

You might be running into power limits. Did you check out the oc'ing video guide linked above?

Yeah I copied all extract settings didn’t know if you wanted me to do that or not but couldn’t get in to windows still crashes at the loading screen but I do have a 850PSU

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Spearlight said:

Yeah I copied all extract settings didn’t know if you wanted me to do that or not but couldn’t get in to windows still crashes at the loading screen but I do have a 850PSU

Your psu is probably fine. I was referring to power limit motherboard settings which were mentioned in the video.

Your cooling isn't particularly beefy so stability at the same settings won't be as easy. Better cooling can allow for similar clocks with less voltage. It could also be that you have an average or below average cpu. 4.7ghz at 1.25v is fairly reasonable. If you can tighten the cooler a bit more, that can help. 


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Your psu is probably fine. I was referring to power limit motherboard settings which were mentioned in the video.

Your cooling isn't particularly beefy so stability at the same settings won't be as easy. Better cooling can allow for similar clocks with less voltage. It could also be that you have an average or below average cpu. 4.7ghz at 1.25v is fairly reasonable. If you can tighten the cooler a bit more, that can help. 

Already tighten the cooler as much as i can. i just think that i have a i7-8700k that produce way more heat then it should be

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
39 minutes ago, Spearlight said:

Yeah I copied all extract settings didn’t know if you wanted me to do that or not but couldn’t get in to windows still crashes at the loading screen but I do have a 850PSU

also now i turn off MCE and i need more voltage to actually get in to windows but only like 0.01 more but the issue why i turn it off in the first place is because my cpu is now at max speeds when doing nothing and i don't want it to do it i know it could be a power setting so what would you think power setting that would be if you had to guess i have tried going though and turn off or turn on but didn't work also now with MCE off now my cpu doesn't hit the max turbo which is 4.7GHz but it goes to like 4.40-4.45Ghz could that also be a power issue and also it does lower clock speed down to like 3.8Ghz and stuff half way through. also side note really annoying thing is task manager show when it does hit max clock when doing nothing it show 4.69Ghz kind of annoying want it to say 4.70Ghz got any insight

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×