Computer randomly cuts off and turns back on?

M4gkman

Hey guys first post ever. I just started having an issue with my PC where it just randomly completely and instantly turns off and then reboots. I have no idea what's happening. Someone please help!

I7 4790k cpu 

Windows 10 pro version 1809 x64

Gigabyte z97x-ud5h-bk motherboard

Corsair rm650 power supply

Load up your windows event viewer and go to windows logs > system.  Here you will have a list of errors and events going on.  

image.png.1473083b0cadbb07da6c48d15782a2d6.png

It will help you to understand when your crash happened, and what the fault was and on what device.

I'm my experience, totally random restarts happens when:

• The Power Supply starts to kick the bucket and cannot provide consistent voltages to your hardware so the robust mobo safety features force reboots the system
  • Any single piece of hardware in your system is going bad and the Mobo is forcing a reboot because of it.

So, event viewer, find out the device that's messing you up, then replace it.   Good luck!

18 minutes ago, funkmon said:

Is it completely random, or can you repeat it? Are there any trends?

First off, absolutely love the marathon profile pic. I grew up on that game as a kid. They are completely random and don't seem to be stress related at all.

2 minutes ago, _Kaurus said:

Load up your windows event viewer and go to windows logs > system.  Here you will have a list of errors and events going on.  

image.png.1473083b0cadbb07da6c48d15782a2d6.png

It will help you to understand when your crash happened, and what the fault was and on what device.

I'm my experience, totally random restarts happens when:

• The Power Supply starts to kick the bucket and cannot provide consistent voltages to your hardware so the robust mobo safety features force reboots the system
  • Any single piece of hardware in your system is going bad and the Mobo is forcing a reboot because of it.

So, event viewer, find out the device that's messing you up, then replace it.   Good luck!

I've checked. It just happens again. And this is what I've got.

15869972638315695313306293949059.jpg

4 minutes ago, M4gkman said:

I've checked. It just happens again. And this is what I've got.

I have a lot of that particular error as well, though those do not make your system crash.  keep looking to see if anything useful is there that can point you into the right direction regarding a hardware fault or failure to load drivers.

If nothing is present in the event viewer then you'll likely need to start swapping hardware piece by piece. I'd start with just CPU, mobo and a single piece of ram installed and see if the problem persists.  if it does, swap in a different ram stick. if there is still a problem then it's your either your CPU (not likely), mobo (things do get old) or PSU (things do get old).

1 minute ago, _Kaurus said:

I have a lot of that particular error as well, though those do not make your system crash.  keep looking to see if anything useful is there that can point you into the right direction regarding a hardware fault or failure to load drivers.

If nothing is present in the event viewer then you'll likely need to start swapping hardware piece by piece. I'd start with just CPU, mobo and a single piece of ram installed and see if the problem persists.  if it does, swap in a different ram stick. if there is still a problem then it's your either your CPU (not likely), mobo (things do get old) or PSU (things do get old).

Awesome thanks for the tip!