AMD GPU vram hits up to 100% out of nowhere.

15 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Can you sort it from highest to lowest? Also why Radeon Software use 700+mb of VRAM? Are you sure it's not recording?

There's nothing to find.. The tabs that are closed that didn't use any GPU Commited Bytes, so eventually it still shows the wrongs amount of MB. I can't detect what the rest of the MBs are used for:

image.png.9ce1b2474817ecd3f2a609b3e74b7675.png

Did you test with different game yet?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 hours ago, Messquito said:

There's nothing to find.. The tabs that are closed that didn't use any GPU Commited Bytes, so eventually it still shows the wrongs amount of MB. I can't detect what the rest of the MBs are used for:

image.png.9ce1b2474817ecd3f2a609b3e74b7675.png

700 something MB are used to display the stuff you see on screen windows needs vram to be displayed on screen there is nothing wrong with that. 

16 hours ago, papajo said:

700 something MB are used to display the stuff you see on screen windows needs vram to be displayed on screen there is nothing wrong with that. 

Yeah, I realized that. When I closed my web browser it went down to around 300MB. It's insane how browsers these days take up this much amount of RAM, and VRAM too apparently.

18 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Did you test with different game yet?

I did. And I get a vague clue that CoD MW is now messing with my GPU. I thought it was RDR II at first, but that keeps running normal now. Before it was also hitting close to 100% of using VRAM when I played RDR II. I tried it with RB Siege and that's also showing normal behavior.

Before, whatever I started, my VRAM went up to a 100%, but now it shows somewhat weird behavior in CoD MW with using VRAM up to 80-90%. Still less than it did before, but with every time I start it up it seems to use more and more VRAM. I guess they should just learn to make balanced games again.

29 minutes ago, Messquito said:

Before, whatever I started, my VRAM went up to a 100%, but now it shows somewhat weird behavior in CoD MW with using VRAM up to 80-90%.

Try disable Shadow Cache or something, i read that option eat VRAM like snacks. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

4 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Try disable Shadow Cache or something, i read that option eat VRAM like snacks. 

It is. Both are. There's another function like that and both are disabled.

5 hours ago, Messquito said:

Before, whatever I started, my VRAM went up to a 100%, but now it shows somewhat weird behavior in CoD MW with using VRAM up to 80-90%. Still less than it did before, but with every time I start it up it seems to use more and more VRAM. I guess they should just learn to make balanced games again.

From footages I see online other people get that much VRAM usage as well on this game at 1440p high (so similar if not identical to your settings) 

last but not least VRAM usage is not constant within a game, depending on which level of the game you are and what going on (e.g many NPCs etc) it can raise and drop its not like CoD or any game will have 7GB of VRAM usage through out the entire game because it has as much in the section of the footage above. 

And games in general nowadays are using lots of VRAM there is a reason graphics cards have higher capacities than they used to no matter if they are meant to be played at same resolutions (1080p/1440p , e.g GTX 980 couldnt do 4k and was meant for 1080p/1440p but had 4GB of VRAM and a RX 580 wasnt meant to play games at 4k but has 8GB of VRAM) 

17 hours ago, papajo said:

From footages I see online other people get that much VRAM usage as well on this game at 1440p high (so similar if not identical to your settings) 

last but not least VRAM usage is not constant within a game, depending on which level of the game you are and what going on (e.g many NPCs etc) it can raise and drop its not like CoD or any game will have 7GB of VRAM usage through out the entire game because it has as much in the section of the footage above. 

And games in general nowadays are using lots of VRAM there is a reason graphics cards have higher capacities than they used to no matter if they are meant to be played at same resolutions (1080p/1440p , e.g GTX 980 couldnt do 4k and was meant for 1080p/1440p but had 4GB of VRAM and a RX 580 wasnt meant to play games at 4k but has 8GB of VRAM) 

So for now my GPU seems fixed again. That's a good sign. When it will start behaving weird again, that it uses 100% with every game, I will dive deeper in this subject about VRAM usage and where the usage comes from.

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 4/15/2020 at 7:57 PM, Messquito said:

Good day everyone,

A month ago I built myself a new PC with an "AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB" gpu and since yesterday, out of sudden, the VRAM hits between 90-100% when I play a game on high settings and around 70% at low settings.
Before this the games used 50-60% vram on high settings. One thing what I noticed is that it started having this behavior after a crash when playing CoD MW (battle royale mode).

I am sure that I'm not crazy or delusional. A friend of mine has basically the same GPU and he can (still) play RDR II with the exact same settings I have, while his vram hits up to 60-70%.
I have the "Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Pulse" while he has the "MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming X".

Another weird thing that happened is when I opened Radeon software and looked at "performances" the Junction temp. said 775°C (1048.15k).

Things I've tried so far:
- Used DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to delete all AMD drivers and reinstall them.

- Thought RDR II could be the case, so first I tried something with the files, but when that didn't help I deleted the game and all its files. Did the same with CoD MW.

I'm off to bed now, but I will be replying within 12hrs when there are suggestions/replies.

Thanks in advance!

BTW, these are my specs:
mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk max
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 8-core 3.60GHz
RAM: DDR4 32GB 3200MHz
970 EVO 1TB M.2

Hey Im sorry for bothering, but I seem to be having the exact same issue as you, if you can guide me on how to fix this. As I was also crashing before using the command line. But that was a long time ago, randomly today my GPU usage is 100% please guide me through the steps in DDU