AMD GPU vram hits up to 100% out of nowhere.

Good day everyone,

A month ago I built myself a new PC with an "AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB" gpu and since yesterday, out of sudden, the VRAM hits between 90-100% when I play a game on high settings and around 70% at low settings.
Before this the games used 50-60% vram on high settings. One thing what I noticed is that it started having this behavior after a crash when playing CoD MW (battle royale mode).

I am sure that I'm not crazy or delusional. A friend of mine has basically the same GPU and he can (still) play RDR II with the exact same settings I have, while his vram hits up to 60-70%.
I have the "Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Pulse" while he has the "MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming X".

Another weird thing that happened is when I opened Radeon software and looked at "performances" the Junction temp. said 775°C (1048.15k).

Things I've tried so far:
- Used DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to delete all AMD drivers and reinstall them.

- Thought RDR II could be the case, so first I tried something with the files, but when that didn't help I deleted the game and all its files. Did the same with CoD MW.

I'm off to bed now, but I will be replying within 12hrs when there are suggestions/replies.

Thanks in advance!

BTW, these are my specs:
mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk max
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 8-core 3.60GHz
RAM: DDR4 32GB 3200MHz
970 EVO 1TB M.2

Did you try a previous version of the GPU drivers to see if it changes behavior?

have a good sleep

Morning guys,

Thanks for the replies!

9 hours ago, _Kaurus said:

Did you try a previous version of the GPU drivers to see if it changes behavior?

have a good sleep

The Driver version I have now is 20.4.1. and the problem occured with the previous version. You think I should downgrade the driver even further? Since I'm new with AMD I'm not sure which version I should try. I mostly read 19.2.2. is that correct?

9 hours ago, Applefreak said:

Try to run GpuMemTest to check for issues with VRAM.

It seems like you can't run that program on AMD gpus. The link with the software you sent is only for Nvidia. It says it everywhere.

10 hours ago, Messquito said:

Good day everyone,

A month ago I built myself a new PC with an "AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB" gpu and since yesterday, out of sudden, the VRAM hits between 90-100% when I play a game on high settings and around 70% at low settings.
Before this the games used 50-60% vram on high settings. One thing what I noticed is that it started having this behavior after a crash when playing CoD MW (battle royale mode).

I am sure that I'm not crazy or delusional. Metal detector reviews at detecthistory. A friend of mine has basically the same GPU and he can (still) play RDR II with the exact same settings I have, while his vram hits up to 60-70%.
I have the "Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Pulse" while he has the "MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming X".

Another weird thing that happened is when I opened Radeon software and looked at "performances" the Junction temp. said 775°C (1048.15k).

- Used DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to delete all AMD drivers and reinstall them.

- Thought RDR II could be the case, so first I tried something with the files, but when that didn't help I deleted the game and all its files. Did the same with CoD MW.

I'm off to bed now, but I will be replying within 12hrs when there are suggestions/replies.

Thanks in advance!

BTW, these are my specs:
970 EVO 1TB M.2

It seems that you could face the CORE PARKING, when cpu is bottlenecking. Try to change defenitions in register it might help you(it worked for me), gl

10 hours ago, Messquito said:

Good day everyone,

I am sure that I'm not crazy or delusional. A friend of mine has basically the same GPU and he can (still) play RDR II with the exact same settings I have, while his vram hits up to 60-70%.

Thanks in advance!

BTW, these are my specs:
970 EVO 1TB M.2

RDR II is a demanding game without dismissing everything that's been said above I would like to ask if you play also at the same resolution as your friend or just same settings but different resolution ?

Also you mentioned vram usage being 100% which means you used an overlay to see that, which one? and can you also confirm that usage in absolute numbers besides percentage like can you check that the overlay says something like 7000 to 8000ish MB vram usage? 

Are you streaming the game as well or just playing it solo? 

17 minutes ago, papajo said:

RDR II is a demanding game without dismissing everything that's been said above I would like to ask if you play also at the same resolution as your friend or just same settings but different resolution ?

Also you mentioned vram usage being 100% which means you used an overlay to see that, which one? and can you also confirm that usage in absolute numbers besides percentage like can you check that the overlay says something like 7000 to 8000ish MB vram usage? 

Are you streaming the game as well or just playing it solo? 

We play at the same resolution (1440p) and both have WQHD monitor. The overlays I used were Radeon, Task Manager, and Sapphire TriXX to see what my gpu was doing. In Task Manager it was clear to see that once I started a game it went up to 5GB usage and once I started actually playing it went up to 7,9 - 8GB. I don't stream.

40 minutes ago, MichaelMoore said:

It seems that you could face the CORE PARKING, when cpu is bottlenecking. Try to change defenitions in register it might help you(it worked for me), gl

I didn't try this yet. Didn't even think about it. I thought the setup I built was quite balanced, or does that nothing have to do with the fact it might bottleneck my cpu?

9 minutes ago, Messquito said:

We play at the same resolution (1440p) and both have WQHD monitor. The overlays I used were Radeon, Task Manager, and Sapphire TriXX to see what my gpu was doing. In Task Manager it was clear to see that once I started a game it went up to 5GB usage and once I started actually playing it went up to 7,9 - 8GB. I don't stream.

There is cache setting in rdna driver but I cant remember how its called maybe you enabled that. 

btw do you experience any loss in performance? because if not then its fine, the game could cache more stuff just for better efficiency your friend might not be able to use the same amount of vram because the rest of his system is not up to feed the vram that fast. 

4 minutes ago, papajo said:

There is cache setting in rdna driver but I cant remember how its called maybe you enabled that. 

btw do you experience any loss in performance? because if not then its fine, the game could cache more stuff just for better efficiency your friend might not be able to use the same amount of vram because the rest of his system is not up to feed the vram that fast. 

There isn't much loss in performance, but my gpu temperature rises up to 90°C (363k), and over. With Cod MW I noticed nothing except for my gpu heating up a lot. And with RDR II it happened that I got a framedrop every 4 to 5 seconds where the game froze for half a second. Eventually I managed to resolve that by tweaking with the files, but vram still went up to a 100% (using the complete 8GB).

My friend and I have nearly have the same specs, except that I got the new range cpu, 32GB ram, and m.2 SSD.

4 minutes ago, Messquito said:

Eventually I managed to resolve that by tweaking with the files

tweaking like how? maybe that's the reason of that vram usage. 

35 minutes ago, papajo said:

tweaking like how? maybe that's the reason of that vram usage. 

No, it was already before tweaking with the files that the vram usage was that ridiculously high. The thing was that he had the same problem for a moment and resolved it by selecting all sga files of rdr and set them to read-only. The problem with me is that this didn't help in any way.

The vram usage started having this weird behavior after a crash in CoD MW. I searched the cause and saw that I had to change a setting "Additional command line arguments" and wrote down "-d3d11", so it was forced to use DirectX 11. After that the crash didn't happen anymore, but I still noticed the vram usage.

Yesterday I deleted all files of RDR II and CoD MW, including all AMD drivers. Yet, it still happens when I start a game. So far I tried RDR II, CoD MW, and Post Scriptum. Would you suggest trying another game to see what my vram would be doing? I'm slowly running out of ideas and all I can think of right now is what MichaelMoore suggested.

8 hours ago, MichaelMoore said:

This didn't help.

So far nothing helped. I installed CoD MW again and when all my settings are on low this is what it says as VRAM Usage:image.png.db6910428c478ee09c6c9e68f8a37803.png

Meanwhile I play the game and my VRAM hits this:
image.thumb.png.f48e8e0d072cc648dd4ac83467b67b88.png

When I throw everything on high it starts using all of my VRAM.

I'm currently running 19.12.1 AMD Radeon drive. Didn't change anything.
Tried two things inside 'regedit'. Also didn't work.

Eventually I found someone with the same problem, here: https://community.amd.com/thread/244825

And she didn't seem to get this solved either.

I'm not sure what I can do anymore. Try a few more games? Ones you guys might suggest? Maybe a benchmark of some sort?

I'm out of ideas and start to get the feeling there's something wrong with the hardware itself..

13 hours ago, Messquito said:

The Driver version I have now is 20.4.1. and the problem occured with the previous version. You think I should downgrade the driver even further? Since I'm new with AMD I'm not sure which version I should try. I mostly read 19.2.2. is that correct?

The idea was to confirm your GPU is the problem and not the software. It's happening for multiple versions of drivers, then that's not good, right? 

I would try your GPU in a friends computer to confirm if the same thing is happening there.  That should solidify your warranty case should it come to that.  screen cap things.

Alright everyone, I have no idea what the problem was.
(well, obviously it was something with the software/driver. But no idea why today DDU suddenly worked.)

I tried everything as above and all the suggestions you guys made. Nothing helped.
Until I decided to run DDU three more times today and for some reason the GPU works properly again.

I was able to play RDR II everything on high (textures on ultra) and it gave me the percentage of max 71%. With CoD MW It stays around 50%.

No idea why DDU worked this time. I tried it before, couple of times, with exact the same settings, in safe mode.

So remember guys, when you face the same problem as I did. Keep attacking your PC with DDU for countless amount of times and apparently at some point it will actually work.

Thanks for trying helping me out to all who did. I really appreciate the help you guys offered.

4 hours ago, Messquito said:

Alright everyone, I have no idea what the problem was.
(well, obviously it was something with the software/driver. But no idea why today DDU suddenly worked.)

I tried everything as above and all the suggestions you guys made. Nothing helped.
Until I decided to run DDU three more times today and for some reason the GPU works properly again.

I was able to play RDR II everything on high (textures on ultra) and it gave me the percentage of max 71%. With CoD MW It stays around 50%.

No idea why DDU worked this time. I tried it before, couple of times, with exact the same settings, in safe mode.

So remember guys, when you face the same problem as I did. Keep attacking your PC with DDU for countless amount of times and apparently at some point it will actually work.

Thanks for trying helping me out to all who did. I really appreciate the help you guys offered.

My theory is that  you didnt do ddu properly  before (as in boot in safe mode run it, disconnect your computer from the internet install the latest drivers as a fresh install via advanced mode)

And now you did some of the missing steps you ignored before or it happened by accident (e.g disconnecting the computer is about windows not to try to download files for your graphics card maybe you did not disconnect your computer but installed the driver before windows started searching for files etc) 

On 4/17/2020 at 3:22 AM, Messquito said:

This didn't help.

So far nothing helped. I installed CoD MW again and when all my settings are on low this is what it says as VRAM Usage:

-snip-

Meanwhile I play the game and my VRAM hits this:
-snip-

When I throw everything on high it starts using all of my VRAM.

Video Encode@34%
Probably AMD Relive recording itself. Turn it off or try to install the driver w/o AMD Relive. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

21 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Video Encode@34%
Probably AMD Relive recording itself. Turn it off or try to install the driver w/o AMD Relive. 

lol didnt notice that only asked if op streamed or something :P nice catch 

9 hours ago, papajo said:

My theory is that  you didnt do ddu properly  before (as in boot in safe mode run it, disconnect your computer from the internet install the latest drivers as a fresh install via advanced mode)

And now you did some of the missing steps you ignored before or it happened by accident (e.g disconnecting the computer is about windows not to try to download files for your graphics card maybe you did not disconnect your computer but installed the driver before windows started searching for files etc) 

I did run it properly. Disconnected from the internet and in safe mode. Every time. The funny thing is, tho, that the last time I did it, I gave hopes up and just did it while still attached to the internet since I thought it wouldn't work anyways, but then it suddenly did work.

8 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Video Encode@34%

AMD Relive was on the first time, when my VRAM started hitting 100%. Although, it wasn't after the first time I tried to fix it with DDU and reinstalled a driver. Maybe it was still on, somewhere, hidden? I can put AMD Relive back on and see what will happen with my VRAM. Just for science.

Of course, in the hope that my VRAM will go through the roof again and back to normal when I stop it.

9 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Video Encode@34%

I just tested the games with AMD Relive both on and off. There was no significant difference.
For some reason it used even less VRAM (around 4-5%) in RDR II after I ran the game again while AMD Relive was on, so I think this theory is busted. In my case at least.

4 hours ago, Messquito said:

I just tested the games with AMD Relive both on and off. There was no significant difference.
For some reason it used even less VRAM (around 4-5%) in RDR II after I ran the game again while AMD Relive was on, so I think this theory is busted. In my case at least.

Try use Process Explorer and check which application is using the VRAM. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Eg:

image.png.e50e4568f60ed6d54072ff2b457e2e6d.png

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Can you sort it from highest to lowest? Also why Radeon Software use 700+mb of VRAM? Are you sure it's not recording?

12 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Can you sort it from highest to lowest? Also why Radeon Software use 700+mb of VRAM? Are you sure it's not recording?

I am very sure that it's not recording. Yesterday I ran DDU another two times since I saw that slowly the VRAM usage is increasing again. No idea what this is about anymore.

And yes, I ran DDU in safe mode (three times) and without connection to the internet.

Right now I am installing another game to see how that game will respond. I might have a clue what might be causing this. Something tells me it's CoD MW what's causing this. I will delete the game, run DDU another three times, and watch what my GPU will behave like.