China is banning online gaming/chatting with foreigners

spartaman64

After blocking a popular Nintendo game "Animal Crossing," the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) is taking its political censorship to the extreme by disconnecting Chinese online gamers from their guildmates outside China.

On April 10, China banned the popular social simulation video game in which gamers can create a home and interact with cute animal villagers, owing to Hong Kong pro-democracy activist Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) revealing a customized scene in the game which reads "Free Hong Kong" and mocks Chinese leader Xi Jinping. Several other players were also found leveraging the game to vent their discontent with the CCP and making satirical content related to the CCP's failure to tackle the virus.

The communist regime is said to have noticed an authority vacuum in online multiplayer games, which enables people to freely socialize without monitoring. Local metropolises are scrambling to draft laws to expand the scope of online censorship in video games and even prohibit gamers from meeting and chatting with people on the other side of the Great Firewall, according to LTN, which cited news from a Chinese gaming forum.

source: https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3916690

I know a chinese streamer that plays on Japan BDO servers and if this prevents him from doing that I'm going to be sad to see him go.

-= Locked for Moderation =-

-= Unlocked =-

Ok let start over. Please remember to keep on topic and no political discussion.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Hot damn. Taking information control to yet another level, eh...

This is just sad, IMO.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I love the term "authority vacuum".

It fits like a puzzle piece so well with similar terms like "echo chamber".

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, Unclescar said:

inherently impossible considering the nature of this.

then the thread will die, or take an interesting turn.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Some interesting tidbits I found interesting (from the same source):

Local metropolises are scrambling to draft laws to expand the scope of online censorship in video games and even prohibit gamers from meeting and chatting with people on the other side of the Great Firewall.

One-player online games will also be subject to surveillance, as a new real-name mechanism is going to be implemented in China. Also, the new law will not allow for zombies and plagues, map editing, roleplaying, as well as organizing a union in games.

Other rules under the new law are less political. They include an online gaming curfew (10 p.m. to 8 a.m.) for gamers aged under 18 and a maximum amount of money they are allowed to spend on games to combat internet addiction.

SourceChina to ban online gaming... by Taiwan News.

Laws...? Wow. Erm... Okay... The surveillance part seems like excessive micromanagement, and the content restrictions might be a massive hindrance to game development/sales (especially for RPGs/MMORPGs) in China.

(InB4 a spike in game piracy. 🤔)

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

10 minutes ago, Unclescar said:

But yet quite possible.

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

or take an interesting turn.

Already did, hence the cleaning...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

12 minutes ago, Unclescar said:

We can discuss policies without falling into politics and/or partisanship and/or "finger pointing" (as in " **insert nationality or government** BAD!!!! " type of arguments).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

have they tried to quash VPN usage over there? I feel like most of the things that they have banned can just be tunneled through using one.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

so basically they are banning all online games with a ingame chat system from connecting outside china? otherwise how would they accomplish this. its built into the games themselves

I like this. They should have done this a lot sooner. 

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

have they tried to quash VPN usage over there? I feel like most of the things that they have banned can just be tunneled through using one.

That is in reality quite hard because even the relatively small BBC does block at least the bigger VPNs in my experience. Now consider the resources and manpower of the Chinese state.

48 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

but why?

Does "China #1!, China #1!" mean anything to you?

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Does "China #1!, China #1!" mean anything to you?

👀 commented removed in 3...2...1...

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

👀 commented removed in 3...2...1...

I could be wrong but I don't believe it's a political statement. It may just be an option but I believe it to be on topic as well. If it's not ok and gets pulled, oh well. No biggie.

This is actually good news for those of us who live outside of China and play online.

Sucks hard for the Chinese though. 

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

Your source doesn't even point to any reports from Mainland China. Every other report used taiwanews.com.tw (which has been known for spreading misinformation) as the source

Going through recent news from mainland Chinese sites only seems to be about a law proposed last year by the name of "Notice regarding the prevention of minors addicted to online games" (关于防止未成年人沉迷网络游戏的通知): If I remember there was a thread about it as well.

https://game.china.com/industry/news/gundong/11011446/20200415/38080001.html <- this one seems to mainly talk about money schemes on streaming sites. Multiple developers are also under investigation for malpratice.

https://baijiahao.baidu.com/s?id=1664070521548616315 <- this one seems to talk about how multiple parents have lost thousands of dollars unexpectedly from in-game purchases.

https://baijiahao.baidu.com/s?id=1663551116965341276 <- this one seems to talk about phone games imposing a time limit for minors.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I'll be sad missing all my 中文 friends. Also imagine all the loading times for playing non-mainstream games now that like 80% of the population isn't accessiable. This is a big press F to pay respects in my books.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

8 hours ago, Arika S said:

90% of the VPN site is blocked. 

I mean the VPN site themselves. If you go to PIA or tunnel bear's site, it will give you an error. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

7 hours ago, CircleTech said:

but why?

because:

5 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Now I won't get my shit wrecked by some guy who's name is "Cheese Dip Fuck". I see this as an absolute win. /s

1 hour ago, mrchow19910319 said:

90% of the VPN site is blocked. 

I mean the VPN site themselves. If you go to PIA or tunnel bear's site, it will give you an error. 

Tip: while a VPN license can be gotten in China, the easiest way is to get a SIM card from Hong Kong, where they have their APN routed back to Hong Kong.

However, keep in mind that recently the States have IP banned addresses from Hong Kong to go on government sites such as http://census.gov/

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition