BOINC Pentathlon 2020

1 hour ago, Rybo said:

Incidentally, I hope the marathon is run on something serving out GPU work.  Turns out my GPU worked pretty well on F@H tasks, so I'm assuming it'll acquit itself pretty well here, if it's allowed to work.  

Prepare to be disappointed. There's not a great chance of that happening. All current WCG projects don't support GPU and we currently don't know if OpenPandemics will. Even if it does we don't know if that's the chosen project as it hasn't even launched yet.

7 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Prepare to be disappointed. There's not a great chance of that happening. All current WCG projects don't support GPU and we currently don't know if OpenPandemics will. Even if it does we don't know if that's the chosen project as it hasn't even launched yet.

Also afaik the marathon is always a CPU project

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, Rybo said:

You have my bow.  And my axe.

For Gondor!!!

1 hour ago, Rybo said:

Incidentally, I hope the marathon is run on something serving out GPU work

Not too likely, they like to keep that one as a CPU project from what I've seen. For me I hope it's a CPU one. Your 3700X will do nicely for a CPU project anyway. Getting as many people on board helps the most of anything.

3 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:
Spoiler

ludicrous.jpg.d07022ac03b1c3513b38b64648557153.jpg

Disappointed! I wanna see it.

Edit:

4 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Ludicrous speed go!

Oh, just you wait. Leadeater gave me a great idea for a meme I'm about to put him in involving Ludicrous speed.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Disappointed! I wanna see it.

Edit:

Oddly enough the GIF worked until i uploaded it to the forum. It was sabotage.

@Windows7ge I'll be waiting patiently.

sponge.gif.4869406cc3aceff19fd45f15ebfcd5d4.gif

First jank post!

@Ithanul can't OC though needs new BIOS chips... Sigh

IMG_20200421_180409.jpg

IMG_20200421_182839.jpg

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

8 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

@Ithanul can't OC though needs new BIOS chips... Sigh

Try using Intel XTU in the OS instead. I boot my system using 39 multi then up it to 41 or higher as needed.

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Try using Intel XTU in the OS instead. I boot my system using 39 multi then up it to 41 or higher as needed.

Hmm... May try this then, The issue is the BIOS chips are corrupted and thus won't hold any saved settings... it's a pain.

Ordered some replacements anyway, can I change voltage in XTU?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Ordered some replacements anyway, can I change voltage in XTU?

You can set additional turbo voltage but I've never used it. You'll be able to do a small amount of OC on the stock voltage your board uses though, there are also other better options than Intel XTU for in software but I'm not really a huge OC person, all them LN2 people use those apps.

I apologize if I missed it, but how do I officially sign up for this event?

56 minutes ago, b242 said:

I apologize if I missed it, but how do I officially sign up for this event?

Make an account on the project site you plan to contribute to. (Marathon will be World Community Grid)

Join the LTT Team on that project site.

Start crunching.

You're in, and contributing.

1 hour ago, GOTSpectrum said:

First jank post!

I'll see your jank post and raise you a 3930K on a DIY fire-hazard testbench with a very insufficient PSU strapped to the wall on a shelf with a C clamp.

IMAG0638.thumb.jpg.6bdca83f6c94bb77e6444bd838d3be4a.jpg

Ugh, summer is here and my computer increases my room temperature 5 degrees hotter. I think I have to skip this one for now.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

19 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Ugh, summer is here and my computer increases my room temperature 5 degrees hotter. I think I have to skip this one for now.

That's a constant concern I have since last year it was already hot outside and I was running everything full-tilt for 3 weeks inside. The heat was insufferable.

For some reason though the weather is a lot cooler right now. It's 30°F, weather's crazy cold this year round. I hope it stays cold till the Pentathlon is over.

Because cloud servers was kind of a bust for BOINC unless I want to pay I just thought about the fact that I could possibly utilize the free tier on AWS as a personal VPN. I think 2vCPU's should be sufficient (a server in Stockholm (EU)). Hopefully a VPN doesn't go against their TOS. They charge $0.02/GB for everything that your Upload (that would be me downloading). Me uploading (the server downloading) and everything else appears to be free for one year. At that point I could just make another account.

It might be worthwhile to hold onto this. I've been meaning to get on the VPN train for years.

I REALLY hope the WCG project this year isn't FightingAIDS@Home - Phase 2. I ran that project by itself for about 3 weeks, the date the WU's are due by are only about 24 hours from the time you receive them. It would completely ruin bunkering.

5 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

I REALLY hope the WCG project this year isn't FightingAIDS@Home - Phase 2. I ran that project by itself for about 3 weeks, the date the WU's are due by are only about 24 hours from the time you receive them. It would completely ruin bunkering.

Dunno, since we were so bad at it compared to others maybe it would be a good thing lol

I was planning on setting joining in and setting up on the marathon as recommended for the folks who are likely to just set up and leave things running ;).

I switch between linux and windows a lot on a dual boot setup. Wondering if there is a way to have the linux client pickup where my windows one leaves off (in a shared drive) or whether I should just let them run independently of each other and treat them as separate machines that never run together 😅.

21 Teams have now signed up to the pentathlon! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

Dunno, since we were so bad at it compared to others maybe it would be a good thing lol

I dropped somewhere in the neighborhood of 1300 WU's last year. If there isn't an actual WU limit per acc I'll work to make up the difference.

Really you aught to since you have 3.5x the power I do.

3 hours ago, MustyStag said:

I was planning on setting joining in and setting up on the marathon as recommended for the folks who are likely to just set up and leave things running ;).

I switch between linux and windows a lot on a dual boot setup. Wondering if there is a way to have the linux client pickup where my windows one leaves off (in a shared drive) or whether I should just let them run independently of each other and treat them as separate machines that never run together 😅.

I'm pretty sure the software isn't designed to work that way. I could see a number of issues with trying to make it to as well.

Drop dual-boot, no compromises:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Really you aught to since you have 3.5x the power I do.

I did but it was nothing even close to what the others were dropping. Plus to do more than what I did I'd have to sacrifice on other projects which we needed. I just don't think we had the numbers to compete lol.

Need to get all those FAH folders over for the event, for how well we do on that we shouldn't do any less than 1st for GPU projects lol.