BOINC Pentathlon 2020

Quick Start Guide:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1190808-setting-up-rosettahome/

BOINC Pentathlon 2020

Announcements || Stats || Daily Bulletin

Dates: May 5 00:00 UTC - 19 May 00:00 UTC

3rd Year for the LTT Team

Last year the team gain to 10th overall.  Lets go higher this time!

Congrats to Everyone that joined LTT for the 2020 Pentathlon

The Team gain 6th place overall this year!

Along with gaining Bronze in the Marathon

About the Pentathlon

The Pentathlon is an annual event for several BOINC teams to compete across five disciplines (five different BOINC projects) to gain points and win medals.  Several teams, but only one team comes out as the winner.  The event last for over two weeks.  If you up to the challenge, come on and join the team in competing in the pentathlon and see if your hardware can handle the heat.

BOINC Info and Guides

Team Name: LinusTechTips_Team

Contacts: @Ithanul and @Ben Quigley

Can also be contacted over on the LTT Discord

What is BOINC?

Boinc is a collection of various distributed computing projects, it gives you the opportunity to lend your unused processing power to do calculations in the name of science and progress! This can be to help medical science, physics, mathematics, better understand nature, or pretty much anything you can find a corresponding project to, it's up to you to decide what you want your  computing horsepower to be used for, this gives scientists the chance to gather big ammounts of data by giving them access to hundreds or thousands of computers, all of this is achieved by  running some software on your computer, there is also software avaliable for smartphones.

Announced

Marathon - Rosetta

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/

Start: 05 May 2020 00:00 UTC
End: 19 May 2020 00:00 UTC

Javelin Throw - NumberFields

Final Score - Place: 4

http://numberfields.asu.edu/NumberFields/

City Run - Universe

Place: 9

https://universeathome.pl/universe/

Start: 07 May 2020 00:00 UTC
End: 12 May 2020 00:00 UTC

Cross Country - Amicable Numbers

Place: 8

Warning: High RAM Usage per WU - Avg of 8GB per WU

Project allows only 20 WUs per GPU at a time

https://sech.me/boinc/Amicable/

Start: 12 May 2020 00:00 UTC
End: 17 May 2020 00:00 UTC

Sprint - Ibercivis

Place: 8

https://boinc.ibercivis.es/ibercivis/

Start: 16 May 2020 00:00 UTC
End: 19 May 2020 00:00 UTC

All start times are 00:00 UTC

The Disciplines

• Marathon (14 days)
    • Rosetta@Home
  • Sprint (3 days)
    • CPU or GPU project with a quorum of 1
  • City Run (5 days)
    • CPU project
  • Cross Country (5 days)
    • CPU or GPU project
  • Javelin Throw (5 x 1 day, only each team's third best daily score counts)
    • CPU or GPU project with a quorum of 1

Bunker Technique

An advance technique used during the Pentathlon to hold a large amount of WUs (Work Units) before a discipline start date.

Windows 7/8/10

Spoiler

How to setup multiple instances of BOINC

Advance BOINC Pent bunker technique

The following is a technique referred to as bunkering in the Pent.  The advantage of this technique is to hold many WUs that are crunch ahead of time before a discipline (BOINC project) start date occurs.  Once the discipline start date hits, the WUs are then off loaded from the client allowing a large amount of points to be gained at the start.

The technique is even used near the end of discipline dates to gain last minute advantages as well.  Usually can be seen when a team shows low output in one or two disciplines then all of a sudden a large amount of points are dumped on one project as the end date nears.  This can allow a team to take a higher spot at the end before other teams can react.

Note: this technique is not useful on projects with quorum 2.

Steps to setup another instance of BOINC for bunker technique:

Windows Method

1. First, create a new folder in C:\ProgramData
    • Example:  

C:\ProgramData\BOINC2

2. Edit the cc_config.xml file to include the allow_multiple_clients option.
    • Example: 

<cc_config>   
       	<options>    
        		<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>    
        		<allow_multiple_clients>1</allow_multiple_clients>   
       	</options> 
      </cc_config>  

3. Next, creat a batch file in the new BOINC folder.
    • Example: 

"c:\Program Files\BOINC\boinc.exe" --allow_multiple_clients --redirectio --detach_console --gui_rpc_port 31418 --dir C:\ProgramData\BOINC2 
      exit  

Note: Default port for BOINC is 31416.  Each instance requires its own port.  This is what the --gui_rpc_port sets.

•  

4. Run the batch file.  This will start another instance of BOINC which can now be setup to download and run more WUs to bunker with.

Now, you have another instance of BOINC running.  Next is to hook this instance to the BOINC Manager.

Connecting BOINC Manager to the new instance:

1. Create a new shortcut.
    • Rename this to the instance of BOINC made.  Example: BOINC2
  2. Copy the random letters and numbers from gui_rpc_auth.cfg.  This is the password.
  3. Edit the 'Target' line of the BOINC2 Shortcut to include the new port # and new password (this the random letters and numbers).
    • Example: 

"C:\Program Files\BOINC\boincmgr.exe" /m /n 127.0.0.1 /g 31418 /p 37cf632b718387f4675342371b4055cc  

LL

• /g is for the port number you set for the new instance.  /p is for the random letters and numbers from the gui_rpc_auth.cfg file.

If requested, I will add the method for Linux.

Linux (conformed for Ubuntu and Mint) - if anyone else manage to get this to work on other Linux branches, please ping me or Ben so those can be added to the list.

Spoiler

NOTE:  Linux is case sensitive

All steps below are done within the terminal (Bash shell).  Shortcut for terminal:  Control+Shift+T

1. Create data directory for extra instances of BOINC.
    • 
      sudo mkdir /var/lib/boinc2

For those not fully familiar with the Bash shell,  sudo - gives super user permission; mkdir - make directory (or as others refer, a folder), /var/lib/boinc2  -  path and directory name

2. Create cc_config.xml file.
    • 
      sudo gedit /var/lib/boinc2/cc_config.xml

gedit - text editor; if you don't have this, you can use nano or vi or other text editors avaliable to Linux

3. Past text info cc_config.xml
    • 
      <cc_config>         
       <options>                 
        <use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>                 
        <allow_multiple_clients>1</allow_multiple_clients>         
       </options> 
      </cc_config>  

This is to allow GPU usage and multiple clients to run.

4. Create a blank gui_rpc_auth.cfg
    • 
      sudo gedit /var/lib/gui_rpc_auth.cfg

nano or vi or other text editors can be used here

5. Start BOINC Client Instance
    • 
      sudo /usr/bin/boinc --daemon --allow_multiple_clients --gui_rpc_port 31422 --dir /var/lib/boinc2

--gui_rpc_port sets the port for the client instance.  --dir is the directory you made for the new instance in step 1.

To add to the BOINC Manager

1. Start BOINC
  2. Start your newly created BOINC instance.
  3. Go to "File" -> "Select computer..."
  4. For the hostname, enter 127.0.0.1:31422 (the number after the colon is the port number you set the new instance to)

Note: each new instance requires a different port.

Prizes

Umidigi Upod wireless headphone sets x2 donated by @Gimli

Prize Pool Sign Up Doc

In Works

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Heya Ithanul, I hope it's okay to post here? 😶

Got some questions:

• Will there be entry requirements to participate in/sign up for the event, or to win prizes? For example, a minimum X number of active BOINC days or X number of BOINC points?
  • I took a brief glance at the BOINC Pentathlon 2019 and my understanding is that to contribute to the event, we run the chosen BOINC project for a specified period of days (for LinusTechTips_Team, of course). Is this correct?
  • Erm... Just curious, I noticed you have a shiny BOINC Leader badge, but why isn't there a "BOINC Team Leader" group title/rank thingy under your name like in @GOTSpectrum's example? (The "Folding Event Leader" group title/rank thingy under his name.)

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

Count me in as always.

Hopefully Project Steamroller will be up by then.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 hours ago, Eschew said:

Heya Ithanul, I hope it's okay to post here? 😶

Got some questions:

• Will there be entry requirements to participate in/sign up for the event, or to win prizes? For example, a minimum X number of active BOINC days or X number of BOINC points?
  • I took a brief glance at the BOINC Pentathlon 2019 and my understanding is that to contribute to the event, we run the chosen BOINC project for a specified period of days (for LinusTechTips_Team, of course). Is this correct?
  • Erm... Just curious, I noticed you have a shiny BOINC Leader badge, but why isn't there a "BOINC Team Leader" group title/rank thingy under your name like in @GOTSpectrum's example? (The "Folding Event Leader" group title/rank thingy under his name.)

This the place to ask and talk about the Pentathlon.

I don't recall off the top of my head if there where set limits last time, but that is something that does need to be hashed out especially if Prizes are donated.  Kinda leaning to different prize pools in that case for different levels of participation.  Considering each project gives out varying levels of points, the requirements will probably be more towards how many days done for the event.

Yes, the first project, the Marathon is announced on the 30th.  This one goes the full length of the event.  As the event goes on, other projects are announced and run for a set length of days during the event.  This where pre-planning and managing what is running comes into play.

I actually have not notice GOTSpectrum having that under their name.  No clue really.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

39 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

I actually have not notice GOTSpectrum having that under their name.  No clue really.

BOINC Leader = BOINC Team leader. They are one  in the same.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Installed and ready to go (LHC@home for the moment) !

You have my CPU (and gpu, well when its not used for F@H 😛

BOINC - F@H

@Ithanul so Rosetta@home is out of the running? no exception for them since they are folding covid-19?

Also why not gpugrid? i also thought SETI shutdown?

My EOC F@H stats | My F@H Stats | My Real time F@H Production | My Boinc Stats

My team in point Generation order:

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Nibbler: Framework 16 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7 7840HS | 16" 2560x1600 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-5600 | 2TB WD SN770m & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | AMD 780M  | 180Watt ACadapter

2023 Model 3 Ryzen APU | 2TB Samsung T7

Useful stuff i may mention

F@H Babysitter | F@H in the Dark | HFM Setup

LHC and NFS were pretty good for me last year. @Ithanul Was it LHC where you needed to setup virtualbox to get the higher point jobs?

24 minutes ago, marknd59 said:

Am I understanding right that this is going to be mostly CPU work and not much GPU ?

It's both with at least 1 GPU project, can be more. Coordination matters the most for this event than your hardware, points per pent event placing etc. The bulk of people that can't or don't want to manage their system should run the marathon event as that is set and forget and allows others to do the short more time sensitive project switching.

Spread the word much as you can, would be awesome to win the marathon, should be able to if we get like 10% of the people that did FAH.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It's both with at least 1 GPU project, can be more. Coordination matters the most for this event than your hardware, points per pent event placing etc. The bulk of people that can't or don't want to manage their system should run the marathon event as that is set and forget and allows others to do the short more time sensitive project switching.

Spread the word much as you can, would be awesome to win the marathon, should be able to if we get like 10% of the people that did FAH.

So I just leave the CPUs running all the time and just switch my GPU's over from F@H for GPU projects ?

11 minutes ago, marknd59 said:

So I just leave the CPUs running all the time and just switch my GPU's over from F@H for GPU projects ?

Something like that, we'll know more later when some of the projects get announced for the event. Best thing you can do now is to get BOINC installed and create account for each of the list projects in the OP, each one you need to sign up for and create an account. It's not as centralized as FAH is, or rather it is but per projects not globally over BOINC.

Some projects require a bit more setup than others, or subprojects do like needing VirtualBox installed but that can be optional. It's been a while since I've run BOINC projects, the last pent and really the biggest part was getting the systems setup to do the best high points work.

Step 1 for now is get an account for every possible project.

Well I have Boinc installed on both systems (I installed VirtualBox as well so I'm ready if need be)  and it's using 75% of my CPU threads crunching away at Rosetta@home for now. 

10 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Step 1 for now is get an account for every possible project.

So step 1 -  I need to setup account at - 

Cosmology@Home
LHC@home
NFS@Home
SRBase
YAFU
yoyo@home
Collatz Conjecture
RakeSearch
Einstein@Home
SETI@home

10 minutes ago, marknd59 said:

So step 1 -  I need to setup account at - 

Cosmology@Home
LHC@home
NFS@Home
SRBase
YAFU
yoyo@home
Collatz Conjecture
RakeSearch
Einstein@Home
SETI@home

Yep looks about right.

11 minutes ago, marknd59 said:

Got most of them done. Problems with 3 of them - YAFU - invite code needed, SRBase - invite code needed, Einstein@Home - account creation disabled.

Odd, well if that is the case then those wouldn't be eligible for event selection.

3 hours ago, marknd59 said:

Einstein@Home - account creation disabled.

To get Einsein@Home working, you'll have to register via their site (Einstein@Home), then link that account with your others via the BAM! site's Sign-Up page ("» Sign-Up" then "Find Account").

3 hours ago, marknd59 said:

YAFU - invite code needed, SRBase - invite code needed

Invite codes were implemented to avoid nasty bots. 😁

• YAFU Invite Code: yafu (SourceYAFU).
  • SRBase Invite Code: pillepalle (Source: SRBase).

Can confirm that both codes work with BAM!'s Sign-Up tool.

Additional Caveat (YAFU in BOINC Manager):

YAFU doesn't appear in BOINC Manager's listed projects, I believe it's set to private by default. To get YAFU running in BOINC Manager:

Spoiler

YAFU.thumb.png.69fcb6b6c36d802883cdb2dc0bd21f86.png

• Go to "Tools", then "Add project...".
  • In the "Project URL" field, enter the YAFU URL below, then click "Next >":

http://yafu.myfirewall.org/yafu/
  • Enter your YAFU email address and password, and click "Next >".
  • You should be all set now! 😁

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

22 hours ago, Eschew said:

in @GOTSpectrum's example? (The "Folding Event Leader" group title/rank thingy under his name.)

16 hours ago, Ithanul said:

The 'title' was created to remove PM limits from my account as I was having issues dealing with the volume of messages I was receiving.

It was just a quick fix to a problem that I was dealing with before and during the event.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I missed the creation of the thread. I'm in! Gonna test my virtualization bunkering technique.

@leadeater This isn't gonna turn out like it did last year ya hear me! >:)

@Windows7ge For you any everyone else this seems like a good option: https://hub.docker.com/r/boinc/client

Should be able to use swarm to run up a bunch of them so might be a really good bunker method.

Edit:

docker pause and docker unpause should do the trick nicely, cap upload network bandwidth, pause container then unpause and release upload cap. Repeat across # number of containers 🙂

Edit2:

Docker and LHC@Home is a no go, couldn't get any subproject to work, all errored.

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

It won't, I've only got like 1/10 of what I had last year damn it!

heh, heh, heh :3. I'm up a 1950X and unlike last year I have my old 3930K and 5960X rigs up and running.

Also for the past year I just kind of never left WCG so I'm currently at 17,246,562. Depending on how things go I could very well take 1st place by next year.

alex_kramer @ 32,351,517. I'mma com'in for ya.

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

@Windows7ge For you any everyone else this seems like a good option: https://hub.docker.com/r/boinc/client

Should be able to use swarm to run up a bunch of them so might be a really good bunker method.

Edit:

docker pause and docker unpause should do the trick nicely, cap upload network bandwidth, pause container then unpause and release upload cap. Repeat across # number of containers 🙂

Edit2:

Docker and LHC@Home is a no go, couldn't get any subproject to work, all errored.

From what I've been told Docker is, in a sense, a hypervisor of sorts. Since LHC@Home needs projects to run on Oracle VM VirtualBox you would need to enable nesting which I don't know if is a feature on Docker.

It is a feature on QEMU/KVM though. I'm to assume it's a feature on Hyper-V as well so I should be able to run it on my systems but I know it'll come with a performance penalty.

Considering how garbo I found out Windows is for compute applications like this though perhaps running LHC in VB, in a VM w/ nesting on QEMU/KVM will only be as bad as a native Windows system.