Upgrading Old PC

callum-

Hi Everyone, 

I am fairly new to the forum so if this is the incorrect section, my apologies. I have a PC that I want to use to get into PC gaming. I would appreciate recommendations for a graphics card that would go well with the CPU. I am also considering upgrading the CPU to an i7-3770 or 3770K however they seem to be hard to find in the UK.

Specs:

i5-3330

ASUS P8B75-M

16GB DDR3 RAM

120GB SSD 

2TB Hard Drive

1TB Hard Drive
Windows 10 Pro

Thanks in advance

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

How much do you have to spend?

I don’t really have a specific budget but probably wouldn’t want to spend more than £200/£300 for the GPU

3 minutes ago, ooof.u said:

Why would you want to buy an i7-3770? It's from 2012, there's many better options.

I would reccomend to you buying a ryzen 5 3600, it's a way cheaper processor but also a really powerful one, take in comparison the i7-3770 with this one:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-3770-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600/1979vs4040

I’m buying the i7 3770 as it is compatible with my motherboard. I was looking at the updated Ryzen 5 1600 “AF” but I would have to buy a new motherboard and RAM which would increase the cost. Looking online I could still get good performance with the i7 and a decent GPU

13 minutes ago, callum- said:

I’m buying the i7 3770 as it is compatible with my motherboard. I was looking at the updated Ryzen 5 1600 “AF” but I would have to buy a new motherboard and RAM which would increase the cost. Looking online I could still get good performance with the i7 and a decent GPU

if the i7 costs as much as a b450 board + 1600af+ram, then it's better to go ryzen, as it's not a dead platform and there are further upgrades to be done on it.

if you can find a i7 for cheap, go for that.

the 1660 super is a mid range card. while it might get bottlenecked by your i5, you'll still get good performance out of it and it and you can continue to use it when you upgrade your cpu as well.

another option is to upgrade to ryzen now and get a used rx570 for £80 and you'll still get good performance.

Just now, boggy77 said:

if the i7 costs as much as a b450 board + 1600af+ram, then it's better to go ryzen, as it's not a dead platform and there are further upgrades to be done on it.

if you can find a i7 for cheap, go for that.

the 1660 super is a mid range card. while it might get bottlenecked by your i5, you'll still get good performance out of it and it and you can continue to use it when you upgrade your cpu as well.

another option is to upgrade to ryzen now and get a used rx570 for £80 and you'll still get good performance.

I think I can get an i7 for way less than a B450 board, RAM and the Ryzen 5. How would the RX 570 perform on the i5 compared to the Ryzen 5? Or would the performance of the 1660 super with my existing specs be the same as the RX570 and a new Ryzen platform?

5 minutes ago, callum- said:

I think I can get an i7 for way less than a B450 board, RAM and the Ryzen 5. How would the RX 570 perform on the i5 compared to the Ryzen 5? Or would the performance of the 1660 super with my existing specs be the same as the RX570 and a new Ryzen platform?

that is a difficult question to answer. some games are cpu heavy, some are gpu heavy. with the better gpu, you'll be able to increase details and quality and with the better cpu you'll increase fps. but that's an oversimplification.

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

that is a difficult question to answer. some games are cpu heavy, some are gpu heavy. with the better gpu, you'll be able to increase details and quality and with the better cpu you'll increase fps. but that's an oversimplification.

Ok, thanks for the information. I would look at minimum and recommended specs for the games I would like to play, and go from there