New Breakthrough Could Solve CPU Transistor Crowding

barelysalted
2 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

-snip-

Sort of.

It's Schrodinger's Cat. Before it's measured, the qubit is literally in both states -this is called a superposition. When you measure it, something called wavefunction collapse occurs, which means it more or less 'decides' what state to be in, and after that, the state you measured it in is set in stone for that measurement.

The probability is influenced by its interaction with other particles, through entanglement and interference. A quantum algorithm is a way to set up interactions between the qubits available to the computer in such a way that, of all the possible answers that you could measure at the end of the algorithm, the wrong ones are rendered virtually impossible to get due to destructive interference.

You know how, with the double slit experiment, the particles hit the detector in a pattern with bands and gaps? Designing a quantum algorithm is like setting up the system so that the correct answers are in the bands and the wrong answers are in the gaps.

Here's a MinutePhysics video explaining Shor's Algorithm, still a little hard to follow but a better explanation than I think I'll give.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

15 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

Sort of.

It's Schrodinger's Cat. Before it's measured, the qubit is literally in both states -this is called a superposition. When you measure it, something called wavefunction collapse occurs, which means it more or less 'decides' what state to be in, and after that, the state you measured it in is set in stone for that measurement.

The probability is influenced by its interaction with other particles, through entanglement and interference. A quantum algorithm is a way to set up interactions between the qubits available to the computer in such a way that, of all the possible answers that you could measure at the end of the algorithm, the wrong ones are rendered virtually impossible to get due to destructive interference.

You know how, with the double slit experiment, the particles hit the detector in a pattern with bands and gaps? Designing a quantum algorithm is like setting up the system so that the correct answers are in the bands and the wrong answers are in the gaps.

Here's a MinutePhysics video explaining Shor's Algorithm, still a little hard to follow but a better explanation than I think I'll give.

Ahh thank you some more, haven't had chance to sit down and pursue your link yet but i very much appreciate your willingness to explain the stuff, the typical layman's explanation allways confused the hell out of me tbh, (in the sense of why it was so hard and so powerful in it's effect). This is filling in the missing details for me which i very much appreciate.

You still need L1 / L2 cache as a means of storing the results of calculations. I could see this "breakthrough" used in hybrid IC design, but we're not going to have a pure photon based processor. Just ain't going to happen.