Air Coolers VS AIOs/Water Coolers

Mopy

In Linus's video he attempts to show that Air Coolers are normally better for performance however The linus media group office is not like most places people put PC's; this is due to the fact that there office is clearly well ventilated also in the test they used cases with very high airflow which allows the internal cpu fans to gain more cooler air for better cooling, AIO's are different due to the fact that they can pull colder air from outside the case.

Im not shure on if the tests they committed were a fair representation of most PCs and environments,. what do you think?

4 minutes ago, Mopy said:

In Linus's video he attempts to show that Air Coolers are normally better for performance however The linus media group office is not like most places people put PC's; this is due to the fact that there office is clearly well ventilated also in the test they used cases with very high airflow which allows the internal cpu fans to gain more cooler air for better cooling, AIO's are different due to the fact that they can pull colder air from outside the case.

Im not shure on if the tests they committed were a fair representation of most PCs and environments,. what do you think?

However a lot of people also mount their radiators in the top and then the air used to cool them is air from the case.

Also in general you have fresh air coming in front the front and the only difference is that a front panel aio heats it up before it enters the case compared to a air cooler heating it up inside the case or a top or rear mounted aio expelling the caseair which can be heated a bit by the gpu.

While I wont watch the video, based on your description, I think that if you own a microwave box for a computer case and refuse to clean or have what I personally would call decent ambient temps in the room your PC is in - that you do not represent the norm.  And if you do represent the norm (having all those bad things) you then don't fit under, what I would call, a PC enthusiast so either way it doesn't matter for you with air or AIO or water.

While you didn't ask - I do believe there is a case for air, AIO, and water cooling a PC depending on...well, the everything you have to look at when deciding how you are going to cool your computer.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

If you want a new video about air vs AIO then check out GamersNexus recent deep-dive.

As far as environment -- I believe that the LMG offices are always on the colder side of ambient temps hence the hoodies (LTTstore.com).  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

i just like the look of AIO's. Plus they tend now to have better RGB options. performance wise they are similar ish, depending on what cooler you get 

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

The recent GamersNexus look at this is really worth a watch, but I don't understand why it matters which one is better. Each will have it's own advantages and disadvantages based on use case. Use what matches the performance/looks/price/size you want and be done with it.

There doesn't have to be a winner and a loser.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

-> Moved to Air Cooling

All things considered. Most cooler reviews are done in AC controlled office space. The testing is done between cooler, not to determine which cooler fits which situation best. But to see which performs best and give best bang for buck when all possible variables are either removed or minimized. This is how cooler testing has been done for ages. Its also why you can go to many major review sites and see huge lists of cooler comparisons.

Does your case and ambient temperature matter? Yes, somewhat. Actually case doesn't that much, and if it does, air coolers will win the battle as their performance doesn't depend on how cooler is oriented or where the air comes from to it. They also aren't effected by GPU or visa-versa. Ok, if you have the smallest ITX where cooler height is limited, then we have a discussion. While there are good low-profile air coolers, in that situation AIOs become again more viable than air coolers.

So room temp. AIOs become more viable option when your room temps are over 35C or you live in very humid area. That would be only situation where environment has any real effect.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Air Cooling

All things considered. Most cooler reviews are done in AC controlled office space. The testing is done between cooler, not to determine which cooler fits which situation best. But to see which performs best and give best bang for buck when all possible variables are either removed or minimized. This is how cooler testing has been done for ages. Its also why you can go to many major review sites and see huge lists of cooler comparisons.

Does your case and ambient temperature matter? Yes, somewhat. Actually case doesn't that much, and if it does, air coolers will win the battle as their performance doesn't depend on how cooler is oriented or where the air comes from to it. They also aren't effected by GPU or visa-versa. Ok, if you have the smallest ITX where cooler height is limited, then we have a discussion. While there are good low-profile air coolers, in that situation AIOs become again more viable than air coolers.

So room temp. AIOs become more viable option when your room temps are over 35C or you live in very humid area. That would be only situation where environment has any real effect.

Why would humidity affect air coolers more than water?

Let's set the premise for some thermodynamics: cold air is more dense (more molecules) than hot air (less molecules).

Humidity makes the air less dense and creates for less friction.  For an air cooler, this is a bad scenario because there are fewer air molecules to create friction (transfer) the heat away from the fins.  Since Air Coolers are typically more reactive compared to water cooling by design, the reduced air molecule count will inhibit it's capacity.  AIO's and custom loops on the other hand can have a much larger capacity depending on radiator size. Larger radiators allow more time for the same water molecule traveling through the loop to cool, which in part allows for it to interact with more air molecules and transfer the heat before it hits the block again.

If you've ever had the pleasure of owning and driving an air cooled vehicle on a hot summer day, you'll understand this concept all too well.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

10 hours ago, Corsair Nick said:

Let's set the premise for some thermodynamics: cold air is more dense (more molecules) than hot air (less molecules).

Thanks for explanation. I know for reading thermal results posted that things are different, but physics of it is out of my expertise.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

No worries.  This was a subject that really interested me when I started to build/modify forced induction (ie. turbo/supercharged) cars for racing 20 years ago.  All the same principles apply, so I wanted to share.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/