Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ooof.u

Is the EVGA Geforce GTX 1660 Super worth buying?

EVGA low end cards are all winners, in cooling and in style. You'd not be making a mistake to choose one of their cads.

Posted · Original PosterOP

The EVGA Geforce GTX 1660 Super is probably the cheapest 1660 super variant in the market, but is it really that worse than the Gigabyte or the MSI ones? I'm asking because I'm thinking on buying a 1660 super and seeing all those different prices (EVGA 1660 Super can be bought for 230€ while Gigabyte or MSI can be up to 50€ more expensive)  confuses me a lot.

EVGA has the best warranty out of all of them

Which card are you referencing

|| ℍ𝕚 𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕪𝕒 || 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: GTX 1080 || Memory: 16GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Noctua D15 || PSU: 750W EVGA G2 || Case: Define C

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

EVGA has the best warranty out of all of them

Which card are you referencing

Warranty doesn't bother me too much actually haha

I'm referencing the EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER SC ULTRA GAMING, I was thinking on buying the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER GAMING OC until I saw the EVGA one

Posted · Best Answer

EVGA low end cards are all winners, in cooling and in style. You'd not be making a mistake to choose one of their cads.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Depending on your region the RX 5600xt can be found for only 20-40 more and it is a much better card than the 1660S.

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  Google Stadia Early Consensus

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS Remember to 'Reply' to comments in order for people to see them, this can be done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R7 3800X Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16GB OC@3466MHz  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA 850W P2 W/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower 

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW ‖ Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW ‖ Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown RGB ‖ Corsair SCIMITAR PRO RGB 

Gaming PC  i7-8700k OC@5.1GHz (Delid)  Asus Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi mATX  Corsair Vengeance LED (Blue) 2x16GB 3200MHz  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming iCX 8GB  EVGA 750W P2 W/ Black+White Sleeved Cables  Corsair H100i Pro  Corsair ML RGB Fans  Thermaltake Versa H18 TG mATX Case

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair IRONCLAW RGB WIRELESS

Mini Work PC  R7 1700  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz (White)  Asus RX 580 Dual Series 8GB  Corsair SF 450W  Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB  Noctua NF-F12 Chromax Fans  Silverstone Sugo SG13WB Mini ITX Case

SFF ITX Home PC  i7-6700k  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 Mini ITX Case (Grey)

Laptop  Dell XPS13 (2017)  i7-7550U  16GB DDR3 RAM  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  QHD+ (4K) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Sold PC's  Big White

59 minutes ago, TheDailyProcrastinator said:

Depending on your region the RX 5600xt can be found for only 20-40 more and it is a much better card than the 1660S.

I was going to say, at this point he might as well pull the trigger on a MSI gaming X 8GB 5700XT, obviously this MSI card does away with the atrocious blower style cooler so it runs very cool and delivers blistering performance. I've been playing COD Modern Warfare 2019 lately and if you didn't know any better you might think it was HD video from the front lines.

A cool GPU is good GPU, that's why I've stayed away from the RX 580 lately, because while it does deliver excellent performance at low cost, it also runs very hot, which they claim it's designed for. I have no reason to doubt them but what I would say is that you don't want a small nuclear reactor sitting right next to your CPU cooler while you are gaming.

EDIT: You will not regret this GPU upgrade and that's a promise. It is well worth the $429 price tag.

Check the performance disparity between the 1660 super and the RX 5700 XT here:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1660S-Super-vs-AMD-RX-5700-XT/4056vs4045

At the bottom of the benchmark results they have a write up on the 5700 xt and they do kinda bash it a bit as a hot running, very loud card that fails to deliver the goods. 

Keep in mind this negative write up is based on a review of the original OEM Radeon RX 5700 XT design with the highly flawed blower cooler (why AMD would put something like this on one of their best GPUs in 2019 is beyond me.)

I can assure you, the MSI cooling system on the gaming X is far more robust. Matter of fact, I can peg the GPU in some games and it will still remain cool and silent. I've never heard the fans kick in, not even once. 

HP Z820 workstation - dual CPUs - 24C / 48T @ 3.5GHz (turbo) and octal channel 64GB ecc ram, 300GB raid 0 x 4 SSD, water cooled (from the factory), MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming X 8GB GPU

16 minutes ago, Storm-Chaser said:

I was going to say, at this point he might as well pull the trigger on a MSI gaming X 8GB 5700XT, obviously this MSI card does away with the atrocious blower style cooler so it runs very cool and delivers blistering performance. I've been playing COD Modern Warfare 2019 lately and if you didn't know any better you might think it was HD video from the front lines.

A cool GPU is good GPU, that's why I've stayed away from the RX 580 lately, because while it does deliver excellent performance at low cost, it also runs very hot, which they claim it's designed for. I have no reason to doubt them but what I would say is that you don't want a small nuclear reactor sitting right next to your CPU cooler while you are gaming.

Blower style is only the reference design, for the most part all the new RX cards can be found in dual or triple fan config which aids performance greatly. The Gigabyte Windforce cards are usually the best due to the low price and cooler design but the MSI gaming X is up there with the best cooler designs. 

And yes the RX 5700XT is a great card, in my opinion the value of Nvidias entire lineup of cards is irrelevant, other than the 2080Ti due to its unmatched performance, but at $1,500+ CAD no thank you. The only 2 GPU's I'd consider buying new with today's pricing is the RX 5600XT and the 5700XT. 

My RX580 has been okay for thermals, but I use that system for rendering and not gaming so workloads are not sustained for long periods of time. It really depends on use case and the airflow of the chassis it is in. And of course cooler design.

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  Google Stadia Early Consensus

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS Remember to 'Reply' to comments in order for people to see them, this can be done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R7 3800X Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16GB OC@3466MHz  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA 850W P2 W/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower 

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW ‖ Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW ‖ Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown RGB ‖ Corsair SCIMITAR PRO RGB 

Gaming PC  i7-8700k OC@5.1GHz (Delid)  Asus Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi mATX  Corsair Vengeance LED (Blue) 2x16GB 3200MHz  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming iCX 8GB  EVGA 750W P2 W/ Black+White Sleeved Cables  Corsair H100i Pro  Corsair ML RGB Fans  Thermaltake Versa H18 TG mATX Case

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair IRONCLAW RGB WIRELESS

Mini Work PC  R7 1700  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz (White)  Asus RX 580 Dual Series 8GB  Corsair SF 450W  Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB  Noctua NF-F12 Chromax Fans  Silverstone Sugo SG13WB Mini ITX Case

SFF ITX Home PC  i7-6700k  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 Mini ITX Case (Grey)

Laptop  Dell XPS13 (2017)  i7-7550U  16GB DDR3 RAM  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  QHD+ (4K) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Sold PC's  Big White

1 minute ago, TheDailyProcrastinator said:

Blower style is only the reference design, for the most part all the new RX cards can be found in dual or triple fan config which aids performance greatly. The Gigabyte Windforce cards are usually the best due to the low price and cooler design but the MSI gaming X is up there with the best cooler designs. 

And yes the RX 5700XT is a great card, in my opinion the value of Nvidias entire lineup of cards is irrelevant, other than the 2080Ti due to its unmatched performance, but at $1,500+ CAD no thank you. The only 2 GPU's I'd consider buying new with today's pricing is the RX 5600XT and the 5700XT. 

My RX580 has been okay for thermals, but I use that system for rendering and not gaming so workloads are not sustained for long periods of time. It really depends on use case and the airflow of the chassis it is in. And of course cooler design.

Thanks for all the information, the 5700 xt 40€ more expensive in my country, but that's fine, I think that I'm going to save a little more and buy that one then, thank you! :) 

10 minutes ago, ooof.u said:

Thanks for all the information, the 5700 xt 40€ more expensive in my country, but that's fine, I think that I'm going to save a little more and buy that one then, thank you! :) 

The 5600XT? But a good choice! It is worth it!

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Sold PC's  Big White

9 minutes ago, ooof.u said:

That's great to hear. It won't let you down. But something to keep in mind, if you do decide on 5500/5700 xt make sure your case has enough room because it is a very big card and requires two 8 pin PCI-e power connectors. So that means check your PSU for these before you purchase. You need both these plugged in to POST. 

Like the @TheDailyProcrastinator said, always a good idea to make sure you have some airflow through the case, from front to back, even though this is a relatively cool running card. 

HP Z820 workstation - dual CPUs - 24C / 48T @ 3.5GHz (turbo) and octal channel 64GB ecc ram, 300GB raid 0 x 4 SSD, water cooled (from the factory), MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming X 8GB GPU

The RTX 2xxx boards all take up 3 slots on the motherboard. The extra cooling needed requires larger and deeper fans that make the boards a lot fatter. The exception is the Quadro boards which have less cooling issues.