Is there a big difference between the gigabyte 1660 super gaming oc and the msi 1660 super gaming x?

ooof.u
Go to solution Solved by boggy77,

not really. go with the gigabyte one and invest in a better psu.

I'm looking for a new graphics card and I have my eyes set on the 1660 super, but I saw that the price difference between the MSI and the Gigabyte variants are big (around 30€ or even 40€ in some cases).

I was going to buy the MSI one first because I was also going to buy an MSI motherboard and I already have trust with the company, still, seeing a gigabyte 1660 super for 249€ when I am going to buy the MSI one for 280€ really made me think again.

Is there any advantage that can explain the price difference between those two? Because those 30€ would help me to upgrade my PSU to 450W or 500W

1 minute ago, ooof.u said:

and I already have trust with the company

for real? MSI has some famously bad customer service.

The Gaming X has good cooler, but what gigabyte GPU are you comparing it to?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I'm looking to get 1660 super as well and for now I'm planning on just going with MSI because it looks cooler and I honestly can't find any difference. 

there will be almost zero appreciable performance difference between the two cards, cooling will be very similar, the primary difference is aesthetics and dimensions. the performance ability will be more determined by silicon lottery and therefore to an extent, overclocking.

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I know, but I never had to reach out to the customer service, that's why I said I already had trust with them haha

I'm comparing it with the Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super Gaming OC

Just now, ooof.u said:

Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super Gaming OC

That's hardly a bad card, definitely save the money with that model

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

29 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Gigabyte's not much better..,

it took them so long to respond to one of my technical queries i'd already returned the card and replaced it by the time they got back to me.

I'd go with Gigabyte as well. I already have a number of experiences with MSI hardware in general in the past (laptops, motherboards and gpu), and yeah, probably they have improved their hardware and QA. BUT not taking any chances haha

In terms of customer service , especially direct ; i mean almost all brands have an issue with this. Also depends where you are, MSI may have good CS there, but not here. etc. 

Downloading RAM . . . 1%

I am currently running the Gigabyte 1660 Super OC and it runs fantastic. MSI has ALWAYS left me high and dry. Latest has been a B450 motherboard I bought from them new when I first built the rig, entire motherboard failed 37 days after warranty expired....They basically told me to buy a new one of their motherboards to replace it.