My PC won’t turn on after cable management

Hi there. My pc was working just fine, but I wanted to do some rewirering because it was a mess. But after I finished, and before closing the case, I checked that everything worked, just because. But when I hit the power switch, all I got were 5 beeps. I check on the manual for the meaning of those, but since it is a budget MB the printed docs are pretty much useless and all it says is a bunch of QR codes to go to the website. According to Gigabyte’s support page 5 short beeps stand for CPU error. It says nothing more.

I try to check the RAM, clear the CMOS, remove the CPU, leave the bare minimum for the PC to boot but all I’ve got so far is the 5 beeps. 

I can’t think of something wrong I did or something that could possibly damage the components. Literally all I did was unplug the PSU cables and plug them again. Didn’t even touch the CPU until I disassembled the whole thing. 

Motherboard: Gigabyte H310m A2.0

CPU i5-9400F

GPU GTX970

RAM 8gb DDR4 2400 UDIMM

It’s a budget PC and I have no way to test the components elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, seth125 said:

Hi there. My pc was working just fine, but I wanted to do some rewirering because it was a mess. But after I finished, and before closing the case, I checked that everything worked, just because. But when I hit the power switch, all I got were 5 beeps. I check on the manual for the meaning of those, but since it is a budget MB the printed docs are pretty much useless and all it says is a bunch of QR codes to go to the website. According to Gigabyte’s support page 5 short beeps stand for CPU error. It says nothing more.

I try to check the RAM, clear the CMOS, remove the CPU, leave the bare minimum for the PC to boot but all I’ve got so far is the 5 beeps. 

I can’t think of something wrong I did or something that could possibly damage the components. Literally all I did was unplug the PSU cables and plug them again. Didn’t even touch the CPU until I disassembled the whole thing. 

Motherboard: Gigabyte H310m A2.0

CPU i5-9400F

GPU GTX970

RAM 8gb DDR4 2400 UDIMM

It’s a budget PC and I have no way to test the components elsewhere. 

Unplug all the cables again, and put them back in, making sure they are in all the way. There might be one that isn't back in properly

10 minutes ago, seth125 said:

I'm pretty sure the CPU is part of the bare minimum needed to boot...

Did you double-checked the CPU fan cable is plugged, and plugged in the fan header labeled CPU_FAN or similar? motherboards will complain if they don't see any fan plugged in that header.

Sounds like you've missed a cable that needs to be plugged in, probably the CPU power cable if the beep code is giving you a CPU related error. Check the 4 pin power connector up the top left near the CPU socket and make sure it's plugged in properly.

image.png.7fa863a051e1e09a47b289ba572ebc8d.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Thank you all for your replies. I took out the MB with the RAM, CPU and PSU and connected them on my desk. I checked and double checked every single connector. If I removed the RAM the beeps are completely different. So I presume the ram is ok. No CPU it wont turn on at all.

But if I place the RAM and CPU, but I don’t plug the CPU connector, as soon as I hit the switch of the PSU all the fans will turn on, without me turning it on manually with the screwdriver. But this time there is no beep. So I presume the cables were previously connected right. Once I put every component as should be, the 5 beeps are back.

UPDATE: I managed to find an old PSU laying around to see if the issue was with the connections, but unfortunately got the same result. It beeps five times and that is it.

What does BIOS beep sound mean?

1.AWARD BIOS
1short beep :System normal
2 short beep :CMOS Error
1 long beep and 1 short beep:Memory error
1 long beep and 2 short beep:Graphic card error
1 long beep and 3 short beep :AGP error
1 long beep and 9 short beep :Memory Error Continuous long beep :Memory not correctly installed
Continuous short beep :Power supply unit failed

2.AMI BIOS
1 short beep :Memory Error
2 short beep:Memory parity check error.
3 short beep :basic memory 64K address check error
4 short beep :Real Time Clock malfunction .
5 short beep :CPU error
6 short beep:Keyboard error
7 short beep :CPU interruption error
8 short beep:Graphic card error
9 short beep :Memory error
10 short beep :CMOS error
11 short beep :CPU cache memory malfunction

If you are getting 5 short beeps, it would be CPU related, could be the CPU power connection as mentioned.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

7 hours ago, Slayerking92 said:

What does BIOS beep sound mean?

1.AWARD BIOS
1short beep :System normal
2 short beep :CMOS Error
1 long beep and 1 short beep:Memory error
1 long beep and 2 short beep:Graphic card error
1 long beep and 3 short beep :AGP error
1 long beep and 9 short beep :Memory Error Continuous long beep :Memory not correctly installed
Continuous short beep :Power supply unit failed

2.AMI BIOS
1 short beep :Memory Error
2 short beep:Memory parity check error.
3 short beep :basic memory 64K address check error
4 short beep :Real Time Clock malfunction .
5 short beep :CPU error
6 short beep:Keyboard error
7 short beep :CPU interruption error
8 short beep:Graphic card error
9 short beep :Memory error
10 short beep :CMOS error
11 short beep :CPU cache memory malfunction

If you are getting 5 short beeps, it would be CPU related, could be the CPU power connection as mentioned.

Yes, so I presume. Does it mean the cpu is damaged? Because everything so far pinpoints that. Well not necessarily (and hopefully) damaged but if it is a cpu related issue what could I possibly do? Getting a new one is unfortunately not an option for me and allegedly fixing it neither.