How to install Slimline Blu ray drive

Aliairstinger

So my family still uses dvds and stuff and i want to build them a pc with a bluray drive, however I'm having trouble finding the correct cable to use it. PCPartpicker says to have a slimline sata to sata adapter, however, they don't look like they would fit into the motherboard of choice. can someone help me?

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Slimline-SATA-Adapter-Power/dp/B009JXKQ9O/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=slimline+sata+to+sata&qid=1586789345&s=electronics&sr=1-3 (slimline sata to sata).

You will need that cable, yes. However, that cable doesn't plug into the motherboard itself, other cables plug into that cable. Specifically, the SATA power from your PSU and SATA data from your motherboard.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

2 minutes ago, Aliairstinger said:

So my family still uses dvds and stuff and i want to build them a pc with a bluray drive, however I'm having trouble finding the correct cable to use it. PCPartpicker says to have a slimline sata to sata adapter, however, they don't look like they would fit into the motherboard of choice. can someone help me?

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Slimline-SATA-Adapter-Power/dp/B009JXKQ9O/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=slimline+sata+to+sata&qid=1586789345&s=electronics&sr=1-3 (slimline sata to sata).

That would indeed work its like attaching a SATA drive SATA cable the small one and power cable the big one

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Why don't you use a regular sized 5.25" blue-ray drive? The drive you have selected is meant for laptops. If you really want that thing, you need a smiline SATA adapter. You can get them for about 10 usd on amazon.

Beware though you may not be able to mount that drive inside your case as it probably won't have the right holes.

image.png.2eda5c86fd0ce204ce76350a5fe8c150.png

1 hour ago, Applefreak said:

Why don't you use a regular sized 5.25" blue-ray drive? The drive you have selected is meant for laptops. If you really want that thing, you need a smiline SATA adapter. You can get them for about 10 usd on amazon.

Beware though you may not be able to mount that drive inside your case as it probably won't have the right holes.

image.png.2eda5c86fd0ce204ce76350a5fe8c150.png

I'm trying to build a mini pc so thats why.

Just now, Applefreak said:

What case are you planning to use?

Well, actually, I was thinking of taking a old Wii U and DIY it.

Got it, I've seen modded game cubes, never a Wii though. Is there even hardware that will fit into that case?

29 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Got it, I've seen modded game cubes, never a Wii though. Is there even hardware that will fit into that case?

I've done the measurements and looked up the dimensions of the wii u and the parts. Theoretically, it should fit. Ive thought of using an intel NUC Board so then i can cram a gtx 1650 or something, but I have no way of connecting the GPU and the board.