Can AMD Beat the ULTIMATE Intel Gaming PC?

jakkuh_t
49 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

I'd like to see Linus benchmark these two CPU's with a lesser GPU instead, at the very least a step down to the 2080 Super. It would help clear the air for what he meant when he says Intel still beats AMD when it comes to gaming due to its edge in single thread performance, because that's really not what I see.

That kinda defeats the entire point doesn't it? Of course if you are GPU bottlenecked the CPU isn't going to matter much. Even at this extreme with 2x 2080Ti it's a 10% gap. The video is about what CPU makes the most practical sense for gaming at this extreme high end. It's not about mid-range gaming, if it was they'd be once again simply saying "throw a Ryzen 3600 in there and call it a day"

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

2 minutes ago, skywake said:

That kinda defeats the entire point doesn't it? Of course if you are GPU bottlenecked the CPU isn't going to matter much. Even at this extreme with 2x 2080Ti it's a 10% gap. The video is about what CPU makes the most practical sense for gaming at this extreme high end. It's not about mid-range gaming, if it was they'd be once again simply saying "throw a Ryzen 3600 in there and call it a day"

🤔 But a 2080 Super is not a mid-range GPU, Its right up there with a 2080TI. The gap between these two GPU's is marginal at best. Its the GPU that was used in those videos I posted that shows very little difference when used with an I9-9900KS and R9 3950X. This is the point I was making. If Intel is better, the minuscule increase in performance doesn't justify the astronomical amount of cash they are charging you for it. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

2 hours ago, The117thCon said:

Oh yeah I totally agree to a degree it makes a lot more sense but in gaming only unless the game that you play works wonderfully with SLI theres no point getting an extra and if you are gonna spend that much 5-10 fps always is still 5-10 fps, its completely ludicrous I agree and tbh if you are doing something like that it would be excellent for folding and streaming, but in a pure gaming only test across multiple titles say 100-200 most played on steam I can guarantee the titan would be a better overall choice in a gaming only rig.

And tbh if it was me Id totally go for the dual 2080tis as I use a dual GPU setup and it makes a lot more sense for me in the way i utilise them

Hate to nitpick but this is false.  All the titles looked at and the SLI 2080tis still outperform.  It is a matter of whether they outperform a little, or a lot.  It isnt the titan wins sometimes and the 2080ti's wins if its SLI compatible.  The 2080ti's win all the time (at least by a little bit, usually by medium amount), and if its a title that works great with SLI, they dominate it.

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

27 minutes ago, Zberg said:

Hate to nitpick but this is false.  All the titles looked at and the SLI 2080tis still outperform.  It is a matter of whether they outperform a little, or a lot.  It isnt the titan wins sometimes and the 2080ti's wins if its SLI compatible.  The 2080ti's win all the time (at least by a little bit, usually by medium amount), and if its a title that works great with SLI, they dominate it.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3419-sli-nvlink-titan-rtx-benchmark-gaming-power-consumption

Is that ther article you are talking about? all the titles shown are SLI compatible...

My complaint is in the titles in which SLI isnt compatible and when you remove the 2080TI sli results its stil 1-15% higher FPS like dont get me wrong I agree with what your saying in the practical sense the Titan makes zero sense but on a pure gaming focus and being guaranteed to get the moneys worth out of it (that is a terrible phrase but you know what I mean) over a large portion of titles which are not SLI compatible, a Titan would make more sense.

Although what i will reiterate which ive said many a time, the whole premise of spending upwards of £7K on a gaming only, no streaming/folding/production work maschine is honestly silly a f as the whole point of the video was a 3950X vs a 9900K

5 minutes ago, The117thCon said:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3419-sli-nvlink-titan-rtx-benchmark-gaming-power-consumption

Is that ther article you are talking about? all the titles shown are SLI compatible...

My complaint is in the titles in which SLI isnt compatible and when you remove the 2080TI sli results its stil 1-15% higher FPS like dont get me wrong I agree with what your saying in the practical sense the Titan makes zero sense but on a pure gaming focus and being guaranteed to get the moneys worth out of it (that is a terrible phrase but you know what I mean) over a large portion of titles which are not SLI compatible, a Titan would make more sense.

Although what i will reiterate which ive said many a time, the whole premis of spending upwards of £7K on a gaming only, no streaming/folding/production work maschine is honestly silly a f as the whole point of the video was a 3950X vs a 9900K

I guess I am not sure we are comparing the same thing anymore.  I was referencing the GN video you are talking about.

I thought the conversation was 2080ti x2 SLI vs single Titan RTX (those two scenarios are equal cost; about 2000-2500)

Literally the only thing that beats 2x 2080ti's, in any scenario involving gaming, is NV link Titan RTX (aka 2x Titan RTX aka 4-5 grand)

2x 2080ti's beat the single Titan RTX in everything gaming.  If the game is SLI compatible, they demolish it, spike the football, and do a dance after.  Which is why its a bad value (for gaming of course).  It either loses a little bit, for the same price, or loses a LOT, for the same price (pending SLI compatibility with developers) 

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

Ah come on. we have seen more over the top builds then actually affordable ones. Way more. How more often do you need to see that a 9900K will have the best single core performance? It´s 9 month since Zen2 launched and since then we heard that often enough. And the 2080ti is powerfull? OMG never heard that before. Actually comparing systems betwenn 700 and 1200 bucks would be really helpfull for the viewers.

6 hours ago, Zberg said:

I thought the conversation was 2080ti x2 SLI vs single Titan RTX (those two scenarios are equal cost; about 2000-2500)

His point is that for titles that do not support SLI at all and one 2080Ti is idle then the Titan would have a small edge...

But yeah I agree that all around 2x2080Ti makes more sense, since there ARE titles that support SLI as the video shows and there there is a gain.

Or just remember the line Linus said where he wouldn't recommend the 2nd card in reality.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Ah come on. we have seen more over the top builds then actually affordable ones. Way more. How more often do you need to see that a 9900K will have the best single core performance? Actually comparing systems betwenn 700 and 1200 bucks would be really helpfull for the viewers.

I think it's worth pointing out that I'm not really the specific target audience for this video either. Most of us are not. My once-every-five-year upgrade last year was to a 3600X and 1660Ti, well short of the bleeding edge. I like networking and network storage but I only have 4TB of network storage and Gigabit infrastructure. But I also know that the vast majority of content made isn't for me specifically. Content on LTT only very occasionally lines up precisely with my upgrade cycle and budget.

But that's not really why I watch LTT videos, it's probably not why most people watch this kind of content. Lets be honest, the super high end is FAR sexier. And frankly as someone who sees LTT in my subs I don't really want to watch videos about what can be done on the hardware I own. I own the hardware I own, I can do it myself. It's far more interesting seeing someone throw gaming benchmarks at a 2080Ti and a 9900k. Just like it's fun watching the 3950X crush cinebench or seeing a file server with 100s of TB of storage. Because I can't easily do or justify playing around with that stuff myself. It's escapism, like most content.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

On 4/13/2020 at 8:43 AM, samcool55 said:

The thing is that the CPU price comparison only works in the US.

If you live in let's say, Europe, and you want this no-budget build, it's a lot more expensive, and more difficult to get.

Also, if I buy that 750 dollar CPU from silicon lottery, if you include shipping and import taxes, it's a 1050 dollar CPU, ouch. And it takes at least a week.

Meanwhile I can go to any online store today, order the exact same AMD system, get everything tomorrow and have the exact same gaming experience in let's say 24 hours. Also people with no budget buy a pre-build because unless you are like a massive enthusiast, you don't bother building. You let someone else take care of that.

Like, you would get something like this and call it a day: https://www.caseking.de/8pack-hunter-intel-core-i9-9900k-4-9-ghz-2x-rtx-2080-ti-sli-overclocked-pc-sipc-244.html

You could at least try to OC that amd cpu and the gpu's...

100% Have similar price issues here in Australia -- they are so crazy.

@samcool55 Thanks for sharing the link of the pre-build, looks pretty cool w/ all that cooling.
I want to build something like that, but never worked w/ liquid cooling, and tube bending, so not sure where/how to get started.

I want to build using AMD Threadripper -- any good suggestions for MOBO?

Honestly I am finding it really difficult to keep up w/ the AMD CPU generation and numbering schemes and how one generation is better than the other.

How do you guys keep up?

I have the following components:
- CPU: AMD Threadripper 2920x 12 core
- OS Drive: Samsung 860 Evo 4TB
- Accounts Drive: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
- GPUs: 2 x Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti

I need the following components:
- CPU Cooling: ? (Air or Water )
- GPU Cooling: ? -
- Motherboard: ? (Asus Rog b450m | Asrock x399 | Aorus)
- RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200
- Power supply: EVGA 1600W
- Casing: ?

6 hours ago, pkrasam said:

100% Have similar price issues here in Australia -- they are so crazy.

@samcool55 Thanks for sharing the link of the pre-build, looks pretty cool w/ all that cooling.
I want to build something like that, but never worked w/ liquid cooling, and tube bending, so not sure where/how to get started.

I want to build using AMD Threadripper -- any good suggestions for MOBO?

Honestly I am finding it really difficult to keep up w/ the AMD CPU generation and numbering schemes and how one generation is better than the other.

How do you guys keep up?

I have the following components:
- CPU: AMD Threadripper 2920x 12 core
- OS Drive: Samsung 860 Evo 4TB
- Accounts Drive: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
- GPUs: 2 x Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti

I need the following components:
- CPU Cooling: ? (Air or Water )
- GPU Cooling: ? -
- Motherboard: ? (Asus Rog b450m | Asrock x399 | Aorus)
- RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200
- Power supply: EVGA 1600W
- Casing: ?

Create a new topic :)

There are a lot of people that want to help you, a post in a random topic won't get you far. A new topic will reach a lot more people and you will get a lot more information. Sounds like a big build so I'm sure people will happily help.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

9 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Create a new topic :)

There are a lot of people that want to help you, a post in a random topic won't get you far. A new topic will reach a lot more people and you will get a lot more information. Sounds like a big build so I'm sure people will happily help.

Thank you, I just did my first post: 

I would be curious on the final build in this video - What were the thermals for the CPU and GPU(s)?? Would also like to know all the fans direction - the ones in the bottom, and the ones on the radiator.

I know they went into detail talking about what the pre-validated bin of the 9900K was but did they mention what clockspeeds the 3950x was set at? I don't remember hearing that and that is kind of relevant information. As many have asked, was PBO enabled? Was there any overclocking done on the 3950x? Just trying to make sense of the information provided.