Can AMD Beat the ULTIMATE Intel Gaming PC?

jakkuh_t

I feel like the 3900x's higher clock really would have helped here.

Also, yall forgot to fill out your sponsor links again.

Integration sponsor link: (Found in Trello on “3. Sponsorship Production” or in your videos Trello card on the Production Planner board)

Pre-roll sponsor link: (Found in Trello on “3. Sponsorship Production” or in your videos Trello card on the Production Planner board)

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Nope. It's not Linus' fault that no prebinned AMD chip is available - The video matches the choice that someone wanting to make their purchasing desicion has available.

But hey, fanboys gotta fanboy...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Water cooling doesn't matter? I thought this was Linus, someone with experience working on computers.

Doesn't matter much for cooling, sure, but the moment you have to swap out RAM, get at the CPU, or in some cases even remove the graphics card, you realize that cooling performance isn't the only factor.

EDIT: Well, at least they swapped it out for an AIO in the end. Nothing against air coolers, I love Noctua, they just have the space efficiency of Google Chrome and get in the way all too often.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

I'm pretty sure the average user doesn't need to access their RAM or CPU all the time. In fact, unless you experience a relatively rare hardware fault, you might never even think of being able to take them out easily. I chose AIO to my current PC just because I was bored of always buying some good Noctua cooler and being happy with that :D

Linus said in the video that Intel has slight higher single threaded performance, but isnt that a bit misleading? Intel only has higher clock advantage - if AMD would have a  CPU that can reach 5Ghz it'd be better in gaming no? Or does it mean the same thing? I thought Zen 2 beat Intel in single thread performance too

4 minutes ago, michaelbelgium said:

if AMD would have a  CPU that can reach 5Ghz it'd be better in gaming no?

Yeah but they don't have one. 

4 minutes ago, michaelbelgium said:

I thought Zen 2 beat Intel in single thread performance

AMD has better IPC, but at the lower freq it still leaves a little advantage to intel.

Seems you're confusing IPC and single thread performance.

38 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

and get in the way all too often.

Meh, once every 3 years...

If you get a water cooler then yes you'll have to open it more often :P

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Meh, once every 3 years...

If you get a water cooler then yes you'll have to open it more often :P

I'm in my computer much more often than that, even if just to clean it. And actually, of every component in my machine, the AIOs are pretty much second only to the case in terms of reliability.

Every single component has had multiple issues at some point, whether I caused it or not. But, of my two AIOs (CPU and primary GPU), I've only had one problem I can recall. And I think it was just because I didn't plug it back in after working on something else. The GPU's AIO is 4 years old, the CPU's is 5.

Eh, I've removed the D14 on my 5960X once... after 5 years, for a more thorough cleaning than the usual I do every 6 months or so... :) 

I'd really expect most people not to care about that aspect. Usually it's the looks or the bragging rights...

F@H

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Soren Hansen said:

This one is beneath Linus unless he gets kickback from Intel

A prebinned, specially sought out Intel CPU vs a standard AMD CPU, it's like compare a topfuel dragster vs a stock car

Shame on you Linux

If you can find and sell binned AMD CPUs the go for it but until you can make it happen you just look like a fool and a fanboy.

SiliconLottery is and has been completely out of stock of binned AMD CPUs for many months now. So unless you have a time machine and can get one delivered to LTT then I believe that shame is on you for failing to do your research before trying to call others out.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Hi This is a funny timing Like a week ago I bought the Lian Li 011 Dynamic. I wanted to use my NH-D15 but yeah it doesn't fit. I do also happen to have am H150i Just like they do from corsair but I kinda wanna go back to my air cooler. The clearance issue with the d15 is about 5mm could I just remove those metal points on the top and move the fans down to be flush with the radiator. Also I will be using Noctua 3000rpm 120's and I'am gonna force mount dual Noctua 80MM on the back mobo side.

The only thing I can't figure out is the fan setup I want really positive pressure I have dust problems.

I'm looking for advice on the fan setup. Also on if that Noctua idea would work?

45 minutes ago, eGetin said:

I'm pretty sure the average user doesn't need to access their RAM or CPU all the time. In fact, unless you experience a relatively rare hardware fault, you might never even think of being able to take them out easily. I chose AIO to my current PC just because I was bored of always buying some good Noctua cooler and being happy with that :D

Just to let you know, it's a good idea to quote people you're replying to. That's the only way to reliably give them notifications.

As for relatively rare hardware fault: The most recent one I had was due to a second RAM kit I got. I originally had a 16GB kit, got another 16GBs, it's the same series but different supplier for the chips (no way to tell before putting it in your system), and Windows would occasionally tell me that half of it was suddenly 'reserved'. I swapped the modules around probably 4-5 times before it stopped doing that, it would have been hell trying to work around a D15, but with an AIO I have immediate direct access.

There was also when my 780 burnt up and I had to take the computer to bits to make sure nothing else was fried.

I have a friend who does use a D15, and my best guess is that his computer is possessed. Every time I work on it I have to deal with that big friggin' tower. I have to use my longest spudger just to unlock the GPU.

Ok I have a few of questions.

Why the 3950X?
Like dont get me wrong as a content creator I love it and in gaming its insane but...its kinda a huge waste of money if all you do is game then LITERALLY any other Ryzen CPU makes seonse from a cost stand point alone, the 3950X cost me £722 with shipping, for £300 less I could have gotten a 3900X and closer to £500 less if I went for a 3700X and for Gaming only it would been such a better option, like im not saying go for budget but a £500 is a lot of money that you could put towards a lot of stuff in a system or even a decent game library to start up now you have a fancy new rig.

Two, was PBO on?
I am asking as for me it does make a noticeable difference to clock speeds and a huge performance gain in actual workloads both single and multithreaded so I'd assume it would carry over to gaming haven't checked myself yet, considering you bought a spesciallyu binned CPU for intel was it really too much extra effort to install Ryzen master and eiother use the Auto OC feature or PBO as it takes like ten seconds and for me has seen upwards of 10% actual performance increase if not straight clock speeds.

Three why did you put an AIO on the intel and not the AMD?
Sure it doesnt Really*** make a difference but if you are going to go with differenmces like that it opens up a ton of variables as lets not forgets most AIOs favour intel due to the slightly concave(it isnt convex right? please correct me if it is) plates on them meaning that you are throwing extra points into the Intel basket I am not saying the comparison was bad but you are definitely opening yourselves up to a ton of scrutiny, sure due to the AMD solution being on a test bench and the Intel one being in a case but the 3000Rpm fans and so on.

Not trying to be picky or pedantic just it seems like an unfair comparison like even if you had maybe just switched the AMD solution into the Case once you had finished the Intel testing, ensuired PBO was on it would seem a lot of the possible issues would be remedied if still questionable, having the 'Ultimate' gaming PC is always gonna be subjective but to me smart spending would also come into that, just wanted to voice my thoughts on it good video though ^^

The thing is that the CPU price comparison only works in the US.

If you live in let's say, Europe, and you want this no-budget build, it's a lot more expensive, and more difficult to get.

Also, if I buy that 750 dollar CPU from silicon lottery, if you include shipping and import taxes, it's a 1050 dollar CPU, ouch. And it takes at least a week.

Meanwhile I can go to any online store today, order the exact same AMD system, get everything tomorrow and have the exact same gaming experience in let's say 24 hours. Also people with no budget buy a pre-build because unless you are like a massive enthusiast, you don't bother building. You let someone else take care of that.

Like, you would get something like this and call it a day: https://www.caseking.de/8pack-hunter-intel-core-i9-9900k-4-9-ghz-2x-rtx-2080-ti-sli-overclocked-pc-sipc-244.html

You could at least try to OC that amd cpu and the gpu's...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

The thing is that the CPU price comparison only works in the US.

If you live in let's say, Europe, and you want this no-budget build, it's a lot more expensive, and more difficult to get.

Also, if I buy that 750 dollar CPU from silicon lottery, if you include shipping and import taxes, it's a 1050 dollar CPU, ouch. And it takes at least a week.

Meanwhile I can go to any online store today, order the exact same AMD system, get everything tomorrow and have the exact same gaming experience in let's say 24 hours. Also people with no budget buy a pre-build because unless you are like a massive enthusiast, you don't bother building. You let someone else take care of that.

Like, you would get something like this and call it a day: https://www.caseking.de/8pack-hunter-intel-core-i9-9900k-4-9-ghz-2x-rtx-2080-ti-sli-overclocked-pc-sipc-244.html

You could at least try to OC that amd cpu and the gpu's...

Im in the UK that is my actual price comparison as for the 9900KS pre bin I so far havent been able to get a price on one.

The whole budget situation I am simply looking at it from the point of Wasted money on a stupid buy, it is STILL wasted money that could go to something else and yeah you could tbh my comments were in direct regard to the video as the whole premise seems a bit silly.

Not surprised to be honestly.  The higher frequency on the Intel chips still gives them an edge.  Even with  AMD holding the IPC edge on most workloads, it only becomes relevant if the Intel chip needs two ticks of its clock to do the work.  Not many games put that much load on the CPU, both chips generally get the frame done in the same tick.  Had they thrown some Total War with massive armies on there or some late game clicking the End Turn button in Civ you might see some better results for AMD since the AI leaning on the CPU might force Intel to tick twice, but that's all just speculation.  

I have an AMD system and will fully admit I bought on the grounds I'm not yet moving to a high refresh rate monitor since frankly I want to see the OLED market mature a bit more.  I figure either I can toss a higher frequency Ryzen 4000 in there and resell my 3900X or just make the 3900X box my new home server and go with an Intel #-KS chip.  For anyone pulling the trigger on a monitor though and who has the budget, go with a KS.  

The weird thing to me are the Seagate drives.  People who are building at this level, but don't have a NAS are weird.  I guess you gotta use those surplus drives so you don't mail them back though.

I had a problem with this video, being the top 2080ti on the AMD system had no breathing room. When you guys test games that primarily utilize 1 gpu, of course the gpu that can breathe is going to win. In most games tested, its not surprising Intel won, but you created a new variable by cutting airflow on the test bench system

17 minutes ago, Derrk said:

I had a problem with this video, being the top 2080ti on the AMD system had no breathing room. When you guys test games that primarily utilize 1 gpu, of course the gpu that can breathe is going to win. In most games tested, its not surprising Intel won, but you created a new variable by cutting airflow on the test bench system

I see what you are saying after looking at the video again. The AMD 2080TI was basically smothered, and the performance gap was no more than 15% on average even then. For an extra 500 odd dollars, I'd rather go with the cheaper option in AMD. There is no need to rob myself blind unless there is a gun to my head. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

9 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

Water cooling doesn't matter? I thought this was Linus, someone with experience working on computers. Doesn't matter much for cooling, sure, but the moment you have to swap out RAM, get at the CPU, or in some cases even remove the graphics card, you realize that cooling performance isn't the only factor.

It was pretty clear the point was to make a high spec machine optimised for gaming performance without spending extra on things that don't improve performance. As you said, in terms of cooling performance (and therefore performance in general) water cooling doesn't really matter. If you are spending extra on water cooling more power to you but it is most definitely a waste of money if all you want is better CPU performance. Cooling performance is just surface area + airflow, nothing more.

And in any case the real story is AMD v Intel in this particular use case at this budget. The end point being that Intel still have the upper hand..... barely.... and possibly won't hold even that for much longer. I can see there are some AMD fanboys fanboying on this one. Personally, I don't see how AMD fanboys could possibly be upset over a video that highlights just how small the scenario for rationally picking Intel for performance has become.

1 hour ago, Derrk said:

The AMD machine was also on an open bench so......

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

6 minutes ago, skywake said:

The AMD machine was also on an open bench so......

even on an open bench, fans need more than a cm. my point is its a variable they failed to acknowledge

42 minutes ago, skywake said:

It was pretty clear the point was to make a high spec machine optimized for gaming performance without spending extra on things that don't improve performance. As you said, in terms of cooling performance (and therefore performance in general) water cooling doesn't really matter. If you are spending extra on water cooling more power to you but it is most definitely a waste of money if all you want is better CPU performance. Cooling performance is just surface area + airflow, nothing more.

It's a $175 cooler according to Newegg. To my knowledge, there aren't very many AIOs that cost more than that -most good ones are in the $100-$150 range. So they spent more to go with that cooler over an AIO.

Now, if they had just went with a normal NH-D15 then sure it would cost less, but an extra $20-30 for a great AIO kind of pales in comparison to thirty two terabytes of storage.

This video was filled with strange decisions.

3 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

It's a $175 cooler according to Newegg. To my knowledge, there aren't very many AIOs that cost more than that -most good ones are in the $100-$150 range. So they spent more to go with that cooler over an AIO.

Now, if they had just went with a normal NH-D15 then sure it would cost less, but an extra $20-30 for a great AIO kind of pales in comparison to thirty two terabytes of storage.

This video was filled with strange decisions.

This video was never really a fair comparison. It was a "lets build a really expensive, unrealistic PC because that gets views" video

GamersNexus recently did some real testing with real methodology (as GN does), and yeah, there actually is a performance difference between air and water