CPU upgrade help!

So Ive been rocking my 6600k for a good while now but I know its time for a upgrade. I was toying with the idea of going to the 3600, but figured that I might as well wait for the new Ryzen chip launch next year, however a friend of mine who is obsessed with craigslist bought a i7 8700 non k ,B360 mobo, with 2400 hz 16gb of ram combo for 200 (Pre-pandemic) that he planned on just flipping so he kindly offered it to me for that price if I wanted it. While I don't really like the idea of being a "dead" platform, it would be a significant upgrade for pretty cheap. What are y'all thoughts? wait for new Ryzen should be promising or take this deal while I got it? 

1 minute ago, chriscaruso8 said:

So Ive been rocking my 6600k for a good while now but I know its time for a upgrade. I was toying with the idea of going to the 3600, but figured that I might as well wait for the new Ryzen chip launch next year, however a friend of mine who is obsessed with craigslist bought a i7 8700 non k ,B360 mobo, with 2400 hz 16gb of ram combo for 200 (Pre-pandemic) that he planned on just flipping so he kindly offered it to me for that price if I wanted it. While I don't really like the idea of being a "dead" platform, it would be a significant upgrade for pretty cheap. What are y'all thoughts? wait for new Ryzen should be promising or take this deal while I got it? 

What RAM do you currently have? You could always go B450 Max with a 2600 for around 200 which puts you on an upgradable platform.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

58 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

What RAM do you currently have? You could always go B450 Max with a 2600 for around 200 which puts you on an upgradable platform.

I currently have 16gb 3200 hz, wouldnt a 2600 be a downgrade from a i7-8700, I can go higher than $200, thats just the price my buddy was offering to sell that to me since it was the price he bought if for. 

1 minute ago, chriscaruso8 said:

I currently have 16gb 3200 hz, wouldnt a 2600 be a downgrade from a i7-8700, I can go higher than $200, thats just the price my buddy was offering to sell that to me since it was the price he bought if for. 

Intels strength is clock speed which you don’t get with a 8700 Because you can’t OC it so you’re stuck at 4.6Ghz boost which isn’t maintained. The base is actually 0.5Ghz slower than the 2600 and the turbo only 0.4 higher. It month be slightly slower than the 8700 but you’d be on a better platform with options. You could get the 3600 for £80 more which is better than the 8700. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?