Windows 10 May 2020 Update - Here is everything you need to know - Out now!!!

GoodBytes

AFAIK this is not valid anymore, now if there's a "beta" update it appears as a separate link below the button.

1909-pause-updates-to-6-8-20-100841578-large.thumb.jpg.4b6e37245098f71ffbf3a1d6b42d8797.jpg

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 5/14/2020 at 3:13 AM, LAwLz said:

Another interesting tidbit about this update that might deserve its own thread is that starting with Windows 10 2004 (may update 2020), Microsoft will no longer provide 32 bit images to OEMs. The minimum requirements have also been updated to reflect this.

This means that no new (certified) computer sold with Windows 10 (update 2004 or later) will be a 32bit installation.

Microsoft has however said that they will continue to provide updates for 32bit installations, and they will also continue to distribute 32bit installation mediums, just not the OEM variants.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/rip-microsoft-to-drop-support-for-windows-10-on-32-bit-systems/

My word, it's about time isn't it?  And to be clear, it's good that they're still offering it for the people who have such old systems that they need it, or perhaps just want it (even if they could run 64 bit) just for the memory usage benefits, but there is certainly no reason I can fathom that a new machine in 2020 should be sold this way.  I would say the same thing applies to at least as far back as 2015.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

23 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

My word, it's about time isn't it?  And to be clear, it's good that they're still offering it for the people who have such old systems that they need it, or perhaps just want it (even if they could run 64 bit) just for the memory usage benefits, but there is certainly no reason I can fathom that a new machine in 2020 should be sold this way.  I would say the same thing applies to at least as far back as 2015.

We had a news article in the new section here, and I did a write up on why 32-bit is still used. But essentially and briefly. Driver issue where there is no 64-bit version available, or way too costly to get (as it involve new machinery or rehire the company that made the custom device that system use). I also forgot, but will add here, 16-bit support. Again, costly custom software might be made in 16-bit for MSDOS. Think of POS systems. Many retailers still runs them. Now, sure, you an argue that a mass company making millions in profits can afford to update their software after all these years, sure. But those who don't.. or currently not a good time for them to do, is problematic.

Now, 32-bit version of Windows 10 can perfectly be acquired. Just use media creation tool to get the 32-bit version, and reinstall the OS. This move is more symbolic then anything. And stops an ensures some CPU manufactures from ever releasing a 32-bit CPU. It is definitely a sign that Microsoft will eventually phase out 32-bit. But I don't expect any time soon.

So for the hardware accelerated GPU scheduling option, the option is not availible on the official release of May 2020 updated. Well... not true...

It will only appear, if WDDM 2.7 drivers are installed. So far, Nvidia has it in their absolute latest ones, but even then, you need to do a registry change under Nvidia drivers configurations, manually, to access turn on support for this feature. 

So you need Nvidia Developer drivers 450.99 or later, then go to HKEY_LOAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers. Set HwSchMode value to 1 from 0.

Source: https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/06/03/windows-10s-hardware-accelerated-gpu-scheduling-is-almost-here/

So to me it sounds like it will take a long time for the feature to be released on official drivers and have it optimized.

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

So you need Nvidia Developer drivers 450.99 or later, then go to HKEY_LOAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers. Set HwSchMode value to 1 from 0.

Had to do this for the AMD driver as well. It seems to work? I don't know, to be honest. GPU-Z shows me code 8 for this.

EDIT: Updated GPU-Z and now it shows me that it's not supported. Maybe it's either due to me having Hybrid Graphics or AMD hasn't implemented this yet.

Quick question, wasn't there something about no longer being able to create a local account, since the previous update, if you were connected to the internet?

Because the option was still there for me when I did a clean install yesterday, even if it isn't too obvious (a link in the bottom left during account creation).

Or is that because I have Win10 Pro and if I had installed Win10 Home I wouldn't see it?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

19 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Quick question, wasn't there something about no longer being able to create a local account, since the previous update, if you were connected to the internet?

Because the option was still there for me when I did a clean install yesterday, even if it isn't too obvious (a link in the bottom left during account creation).

Or is that because I have Win10 Pro and if I had installed Win10 Home I wouldn't see it?

You have the Pro edition, that is why.

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You have the Pro edition, that is why.

To clarify - If you have Windows Home the OOBE setup requires an online account whereas Windows Pro will allow to create an offline only account (but the OOBE menu does implore you to make it online, but not required).

That all said, once you have a Windows Home PC setup, you can go in and create an alternate windows login account as offline only after the fact.

4 minutes ago, StDragon said:

If you have Windows Home the OOBE setup requires an online account

Not really, its just forcing onto you if it has internet during install. Pull it offline during install and it will allow you to create local user. (But be prepared that it will try to force it onto you as soon as you connect it to the internet. Again not mandatory just trying to trick users into it.)

31 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Not really, its just forcing onto you if it has internet during install. Pull it offline during install and it will allow you to create local user. (But be prepared that it will try to force it onto you as soon as you connect it to the internet. Again not mandatory just trying to trick users into it.)

I hate that BS faking requirements for optional stuff and then hiding behind the concept that it’s “optional”.  It’s like that line from the beginning of hitchhikers guide regarding the “prominent display” of the impending destruction of the earth.

Total vogon move.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

52 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Good to know. And FYI, I just confirmed the behavior by creating a Windows Home VM with the virtual NIC disconnected. Upon setup, it did in fact let me create an offline account.

Really wish MS wouldn't have hid that option in Windows Home 😡

Has anyone gotten this update yet?

I just tried "seeking" the update and it didn't show up on my desktop. Tested seeking it on my laptop and didn't get it either. Then I listened to Windows Weekly and apparently none of the hosts have gotten it either, not even the ones with surface devices.

Seems like Microsoft are very careful with rolling out this update. That coupled with the fact that they have been testing it without any major changes for like, 6 months, is a nice change of pace for Microsoft but still. It would be nice what exactly on my computers Microsoft thinks will cause issues.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I just tried "seeking" the update and it didn't show up on my desktop. Tested seeking it on my laptop and didn't get it either. Then I listened to Windows Weekly and apparently none of the hosts have gotten it either, not even the ones with surface devices.

Seems like Microsoft are very careful with rolling out this update. That coupled with the fact that they have been testing it without any major changes for like, 6 months, is a nice change of pace for Microsoft but still. It would be nice what exactly on my computers Microsoft thinks will cause issues.

I've received it on my desktop with 5820K and my ASUS Transformer with Atom, but didn't receive it on my Ryzen 2500U laptop, allegedly because of Realtek drivers. I've tried force installing it anyway and while internet worked, I had NO NETWORK icon the entire time in taskbar. So I just reverted and am now waiting for a fix. It's weird that the newest system is the most incompatible lol.

26 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I've received it on my desktop with 5820K and my ASUS Transformer with Atom, but didn't receive it on my Ryzen 2500U laptop, allegedly because of Realtek drivers. I've tried force installing it anyway and while internet worked, I had NO NETWORK icon the entire time in taskbar. So I just reverted and am now waiting for a fix. It's weird that the newest system is the most incompatible lol.

I've also got a Ryzen 2500U Laptop and 2004 is running perfectly for me.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

41 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I could't get it via WU either, then i used Windows 10 Update Assistant. Both home and work PC currently on 2004 update w/o any issue. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

On my main PC it shows me a notification about compatibility issues.

On 4 others it showed nothing and didn't pffer the update, but I ran it with the update assistant and everything's fine. 

image.png.b9a770c8323697ab68b5b6aa75d5adea.png

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I've also got a Ryzen 2500U Laptop and 2004 is running perfectly for me.

The issue isn't Ryzen, but the Realtek WLAN driver from what I remember. And then it also depends which Realtek chip and driver exactly so you can have Realtek and still not be blacklisted.

Just now, RejZoR said:

The issue isn't Ryzen, but the Realtek WLAN driver from what I remember. And then it also depends which Realtek chip and driver exactly so you can have Realtek and still not be blacklisted.

First thing I did was crack her open, pulled out the god awful Realtek WiFi card and replaced it with an Intel one.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

It's weird that the newest system is the most incompatible lol.

It's not weird, it's industry standard!

F@H

GPD Win 2

On 6/6/2020 at 1:48 AM, jagdtigger said:

They changed it again and it's now possible to create offline accounts without disconnecting the internet.

If you put it offline during installation , you actually have to deal with the another nag screen the first time you connect to the internet anyway. (I vaguely remember it's even more obnoxious than the one during installation but don't quote me on it).

17 minutes ago, mrthuvi said:

They changed it again and it's now possible to create offline accounts without disconnecting the internet.

Never noticed it, if i reinstall a PC(nowadays its pretty rare, i only do it for very close family memebers) i wont let it onto any network until im finished with installing and tweaking stuff.

On 6/9/2020 at 7:19 AM, LAwLz said:

I've had it offered on two systems now, but most still haven't. It hit my main gaming system today and I just installed it. 

My first impression after it completed was that my mouse felt weird. I tried to open the Logitech G Hub software to check settings, and it was stuck on the loading animation. There's the problem. It needs the software to load my settings on each boot. I tried killing it and restarting, but nothing helped. Ok, reinstall it is. I downloaded the installer and it wouldn't run saying it was already installed. Uninstalled it, which took what I felt was an unusually long time, rebooted, reinstalled and had to put in my settings again. Working fine since then. I don't know if anything else is broken yet. I always re-install GPU driver after a major version update as that is another common breaking point. Haven't tried gaming yet.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Update. Microsoft slipped in a new feature in this update

The feature is called "SegmentHeap", a new feature for Win32 heap APIs software to help them less memory on the system.

So far, Microsoft has implemented it its new Chromium based Edge web browser, which the company claims has help them make their version of the web browser reduce up to 27% in memory consumption over the standard Win32 Heap.

Google, who liked the idea, has also announced that they too will implement the usage of segment heap, and to expect their web browser to get it in the near future.

Google said:

Experiments with per-machine opting-in to the segment heap for chrome.exe suggests that this could save hundreds of MB in the browser and Network Service utility processes, among others, on some machines. Actual results will vary widely, with the greatest savings coming on many-core machines,

Source: https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/06/18/google-chrome-will-finally-use-less-memory-on-windows-10/

Great, 2004 was delayed for my laptop and it installed yesterday, just to have the exact same networking issue. Icon in taskbar shows "No internet" yet internet works just fine. WTF Microsoft...

On 6/9/2020 at 2:03 AM, Kilrah said:

On my main PC it shows me a notification about compatibility issues.

On 4 others it showed nothing and didn't pffer the update, but I ran it with the update assistant and everything's fine. 

image.png.b9a770c8323697ab68b5b6aa75d5adea.png

I used the update assistant on my desktop. The Enterprise office PC's however were offered 2004 by WU by the end of the week, though none of them are permitted to run it, they just got 1909.