Can LMG at least try to be reasonable? - screen recording is possible on a dual-core.

16 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Not at "idle" but with all the stuff open that they need to work with.

Well it's not exactly "idle" if they are doing stuff with the computer now, is it?

Also, programs doesn't generally use a bunch of CPU cycles if you aren't actively doing something in them.

4 hours ago, Twilight said:

since the OS didn't change much since 2018 i'm guessing it has all those years of optimization. 

That's not how "optimization" works.

MacOS isn't any more or less optimized for specifically dual cores than Windows or GNU/Linux is.

2 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I get all the other stuff but this

ain't true. My start menu is free from ads, they never were there to start with. Either way you can shape Windows to whatever you want it to be, including the start menu.

<image>

I don't believe you. Every single time I have installed Windows 10 it has been full of ads in various places, including the start menu. I do not believe that you did a clean install of Windows and had 0 ads on it. The only explanations I can think of would be:

1) You're lying.

2) You're misremembering

3) You didn't do a clean install.

4) You have a strange definition of what ads are and aren't. For example you don't think "suggestions" are ads, and the links to buying stuff aren't ads.

I can record myself doing a clean install of Windows 10 and point out all the ads if you do not believe me.

2 hours ago, Twilight said:

every Windows 10 install i've ever had had Candy Crush installed, along swith some other junk. if i deleted it it would reinstall. 

That's because the other junk might not be installed. By default, Microsoft will sometimes push out "suggestions" to the start menu. They are apps that seem to be installed, but they aren't. Clicking "delete" or "uninstall" just removes the icon for a while, until Microsoft pushes out their next batch of "suggestions".

They seem like they are installed, but it's actually just a shortcut to have them install.

1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

My biggest issue with Windows is how unstable it is. I’ve had to constantly restart because something decided to not work and eventually had to wipe my drive and reinstall Windows because I guess an update folder got corrupted and the update would fail at 99% every time, reset the clock to The year 2060 for some reason which bricked most of my software and I had to fix the clock restart it again. Couldn’t delete and reinstall the update either because noooo windows like you on the most recent update so it can cram more data mining extensions into everything.

If you're constantly having stability issues, even after reinstalls then it sounds like it's either hardware related or something you do with your computer that's causing it to be unstable. What you're describing is not normal.

1 minute ago, Lord Vile said:

I’ve tried everything, haven’t checked since I delved into XTU and stopped the CPU using 125W at boost seems to have helped. Use it plugged in when on bootcamp anyway cos I only use it for literally 1 game. 

you can look in device manager, and only the dGPU will show up. it will jsut not detect the iGPU. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

That's because the other junk might not be installed. By default, Microsoft will sometimes push out "suggestions" to the start menu. They are apps that seem to be installed, but they aren't. Clicking "delete" or "uninstall" just removes the icon for a while, until Microsoft pushes out their next batch of "suggestions".

They seem like they are installed, but it's actually just a shortcut to have them install.

oooooh that makes a lot of sense. Candy Crush is always installed for real though, as well as some disney game. i noticed that on an old windows tablet i have that only has 64gb of space, and i looked under apps and those games were installed and taking up like 500mb together. 

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

MacOS isn't any more or less optimized for specifically dual cores than Windows or GNU/Linux is.

eeeeh kinda. Safari definetily is more optimized than chrome for example. it might not be the OS on it's own the the apps that come with it are for sure. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

Well it's not exactly "idle" if they are doing stuff with the computer now, is it?

Also, programs doesn't generally use a bunch of CPU cycles if you aren't actively doing something in them.

I don't believe you. Every single time I have installed Windows 10 it has been full of ads in various places, including the start menu. I do not believe that you did a clean install of Windows and had 0 ads on it. The only explanations I can think of would be:

1) You're lying.

2) You're misremembering

4) You have a strange definition of what ads are and aren't. For example you don't think "suggestions" are ads, and the links to buying stuff aren't ads.

I can record myself doing a clean install of Windows 10 and point out all the ads if you do not believe me.

If you're constantly having stability issues, even after reinstalls then it sounds like it's either hardware related or something you do with your computer that's causing it to be unstable. What you're describing is not normal.

It’s just windows being windows, stuff like the audio section of the taskbar just not working and the search bar just not responding to everything. I’ve had issues on intel chips, on AMD chips in bootcamp on windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10. On windows laptops on my Mac and on all the iterations of my PC over the years. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

3 minutes ago, Twilight said:

you can look in device manager, and only the dGPU will show up. it will jsut not detect the iGPU. 

I’ll have a look the next time I go into bootcamp cheers 

3 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

It’s just windows being windows, stuff like the audio section of the taskbar just not working and the search bar just not responding to everything.

my favorite is the start menu not popping up and the shutdown thing in start not working at all. 

She/Her

7 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Never underestimate the demands of Windows Update when it gets hungry feels like eating a core. When Windows update isn’t being a prick, a dual core is plenty for lots of things. When Windows Update starts ramping up (often with little or no notification), you’ll very quickly be wanting some more cores to brute force your way through it. 

My Atom system definitely suffers a lot when Update is running (even if it’s not actually doing anything because metered data), with CPU usages in the 60-70% ranges. With wuauserv killed off, idle cpu drops to 5-10% at 600 MHz. Windows by itself isn’t super demanding. It’s the damn update services. 

Source: wuauserv has been an old enemy of mine for the better part of the decade with my laptops. 

I do updates when I am not using the PC so I never notice it.  As far as the topic goes though, still have yet to be wanting more cores for all the everyday stuff. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

1) You're lying.

2) You're misremembering

It may be related to the Windows 10 version I use or not. But here's a video of me Installing Windows 10 in VMware. The video starts at 14:52 because that's when I open the start menu, you are free to look through the whole installation. I know that Windows 10 at least on my laptops came with junk preinstalled like Candy Crush plus other software from the manufacturer but even so  I removed them and  I don't get any more of these ads or suggestions in my start menu at all, no registry changes, just right click and remove/unpin/uninstall

If resolution is too low it's because the video hasn't been fully processed.

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

I do updates when I am not using the PC so I never notice it.  As far as the topic goes though, still have yet to be wanting more cores for all the everyday stuff. 

Relying on mobile data for internet tends to leave a hefty backlog of updates. I moved to a 15 GB/month plan (tethered), though my systems are far enough behind that I’ll need to go to someone else’s place to download new Windows image files.

With Windows Update not eating cpu power though, idle utilization on even an Atom is quite low (keeping in mind Silvermont has substantially less IPC than C2D). If it’s not some background task eating cpu power, then Windows Update is the only thing I know of that would put the screws to a dual core (assuming the system is for office tasks and not gaming or workstation use). 

9410B1FD-A614-43E7-8D7F-B3427066BCC7.jpeg

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

12 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

With Windows Update not eating cpu power though, idle utilization on even an Atom is quite low (keeping in mind Silvermont has substantially less IPC than C2D). If it’s not some background task eating cpu power, then Windows Update is the only thing I know of that would put the screws to a dual core (assuming the system is for office tasks and not gaming or workstation use). 

i have a tablet with similar specs. on Windows it's fine for a while, and then 50 to 100% of the cpu will be taken up by Windows crap... it's horrible. 

She/Her

13 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Relying on mobile data for internet tends to leave a hefty backlog of updates. I moved to a 15 GB/month plan (tethered), though my systems are far enough behind that I’ll need to go to someone else’s place to download new Windows image files.

9410B1FD-A614-43E7-8D7F-B3427066BCC7.jpeg

You’re on 32bit Windows there though aren’t you? 

iirc no, my Windows tablet with a Z8350 can run 64-bit Windows even though it only has 4gb of ram. 

She/Her

41 minutes ago, Twilight said:

i have a tablet with similar specs. on Windows it's fine for a while, and then 50 to 100% of the cpu will be taken up by Windows crap... it's horrible. 

For a device with specs this low, if’s fast enough if you can keep cpu usage under control. Windows Update aside, occasionally,  Windows’ own antimalware service will also start eating cpu just out of the blue. If the device was plugged in, I suppose it is forgivable. On battery, it’s pretty egregious. 

5 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

This particular tablet does run 32 bit Windows. The BIOS is also 32 bit, so I couldn’t change that if I’d wanted to, but at $100, line has to be drawn somewhere.  Cpu-wise, I’d expect there to be a bit more performance to squeeze out due to access to additional registers, though at 2 GB of RAM, I can ill afford the hit. Would have been nice to be able to install Final Fantasy XII so as to copy over to my desktop though. 

My eyes see the past…

18 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Windows’ own antimalware service will also start eating cpu just out of the blue. If the device was plugged in, I suppose it is forgivable. On battery, it’s pretty egregious. 

THIS OMG

this was so annoying when i didn't switch to Mac yet and i had a Windows laptop for school reasons. i'd be writing a report in Word and suddenly the fans would ramp up like hell and i'd be like what the fuck, and it would be eating 25% of my 7200U ON BATTERY.....

She/Her

18 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

For a device with specs this low, if’s fast enough if you can keep cpu usage under control. Windows Update aside, occasionally,  Windows’ own antimalware service will also start eating cpu just out of the blue. If the device was plugged in, I suppose it is forgivable. On battery, it’s pretty egregious. 

This particular tablet does run 32 bit Windows. The BIOS is also 32 bit, so I couldn’t change that if I’d wanted to, but at $100, line has to be drawn somewhere.  Cpu-wise, I’d expect there to be a bit more performance to squeeze out due to access to additional registers, though at 2 GB of RAM, I can ill afford the hit. Would have been nice to be able to install Final Fantasy XII so as to copy over to my desktop though. 

Only issue with 32Bit is everything’s moving over to 64 now. Won’t be too long for support to drop entirely 

Just now, Lord Vile said:

Only issue with 32Bit is everything’s moving over to 64 now. Won’t be too long for support to drop entirely 

yeah, it's a problem. i have a thinkpad tablet that has a 32-bit bios on it, but a 64-bit cpu. there is a website with linux iso's that have been modded to boot on it so i can get a 64-bit OS on it. 

She/Her

22 minutes ago, Twilight said:

iirc no, my Windows tablet with a Z8350 can run 64-bit Windows even though it only has 4gb of ram. 

Was on about the photo with the 2GB of RAM ;) figured it had to be 32Bit cos it was only use 1GB of RAM

3 minutes ago, Twilight said:

yeah, it's a problem. i have a thinkpad tablet that has a 32-bit bios on it, but a 64-bit cpu. there is a website with linux iso's that have been modded to boot on it so i can get a 64-bit OS on it. 

It’s not bad if you can do that it’s just when something’s built for 32Bit as the system someone showed above with 2GB of RAM. W10 64Bit uses 1.5-2GB just to run never mind doing anything else. Would like to see 8GB on any windows machine really and to be fair I’ve been saying that since 2013

Would like to see 8GB on any windows machine really and to be fair I’ve been saying that since 2013

meh. my main tablet runs 64-bit Windows on 4gb of ram, and it's not bad. i can use 2 to 3 tabs in chrome and have spotify open... that's all i do with it. chrome and spotify. 

She/Her

10 minutes ago, Twilight said:

meh. my main tablet runs 64-bit Windows on 4gb of ram, and it's not bad. i can use 2 to 3 tabs in chrome and have spotify open... that's all i do with it. chrome and spotify. 

Fair enough but that’s fairly light usage. For general use as a main laptop I personally wouldn’t be comfortable with 4GB

19 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Was on about the photo with the 2GB of RAM ;) figured it had to be 32Bit cos it was only use 1GB of RAM

Windows will actually trim itself down below the 1 GB mark if another application is using a sizable chunk of RAM. Id seen RAM usages at about the 700 MB mark if I’d just killed off a bunch of Firefox tabs (usually keep 5 or 6 tabs going). It will slowly inch its way back to the ~1 GB mark though. Disc usage during this time is minimal, so it’s not swapping either. 

Some of Windows’ services seem to involve prefetching commonly accessed data and loading it into RAM. This would allow Windows to use additional RAM at the benefit of application loading time. This would probably be the first thing Windows will jettison when memory runs low. 

edit: using the Windows tablet

My eyes see the past…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Windows will actually trim itself down below the 1 GB mark if another application is using a sizable chunk of RAM. Id seen RAM usages at about the 700 MB mark if I’d just killed off a bunch of Firefox tabs (usually keep 5 or 6 tabs going). It will slowly inch its way back to the ~1 GB mark though. Disc usage during this time is minimal, so it’s not swapping either. 

Some of Windows’ services seem to involve prefetching commonly accessed data and loading it into RAM. This would allow Windows to use additional RAM at the benefit of application loading time. This would probably be the first thing Windows will jettison when memory runs low. 

Well yeah that’s why it’s 1.5-2GB on 64Bit. Most of the time it’s sat at 2 or just above but can cut back if it’s having issue

Rocking a core 2 duo E8400 with 7 gb ram (2+2+2+1 config) a gt 730 (fermi) and a 250gb 850 evo + 1 TB hdd.

Windows updates do not affect it that much. (windows 10 1909 64bit)

It still runs pretty well given it's age ....

Unless u watch YouTube at 8K

Returning to the initial subject ...

Can u record and work normally on a dual core ?

Yes

Should u buy a new dual core machine for sub 1000$ in 2020 ?

No 

Quad cores do make a difference although dual cores are enough for some light photo and video editing.

but it's not worth it in 2020 ...

As u can get 8250U laptops for cheap and a ryzen 1600AF for 85$

I guess this is what alex meant ...

The mac book air is an awesome laptop, as it has remarkable build quality and Mac OS itself ...

but assuming that u can afford it, i guess it won't be a problem to get the quad core model.  

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

5 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Fair enough but that’s fairly light usage. For general use as a main laptop I personally wouldn’t be comfortable with 4GB

For most people, I probably wouldn’t recommend an Atom system either. Would never recommend as anyone’s main system. 

For the most part, mine is just an intermediary to get large files onto my desktop without chewing into my mobile data, so it does the job. Some LibreOffice as well, or if a website requires so much information that I actually need a keyboard. The fact that I can play Fable or Serious Sam is kind of a bonus though. ;)

I also have a Bay Trail (a Pentium J2900) desktop in the living room. System was given to me, actually. 64 bit Windows 7, 4 GB of RAM, and a full GHz clock speed advantage (same Silvermont architecture) makes it kind of zippy, even with the platter drive. Power consumption is so low I seldom shut it down. 

My eyes see the past…

31 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

no you're right, my main laptop has 8gb, and even that's cramped. my 2012 MBP has 16gb, and i started using that again more and more because of the ram and keyboard it has lol. 

She/Her