Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lttdotcom

CPU, GPU or whole new build?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello fellas.

 

Since those nvidia 3000 series gpus are coming and amd 4000 series, I have been wondering that should I upgrade cpu or gpu or even both. I play with 1080p but don't really know if 1440p is worth the money. I built my first pc year ago and wasn't quite satisfied with it's performance. My cpu is amd 1600X, gpu 1070 ti clocked to 2ghz. I mean now that I have been gaming with this setup for a year now, I'm used to it and could go with it for like 4 years probably. Gpu usage usually are in the 94-99% and cpu 20-40% depending of the game. I'm perfectionist so I may never be satisfied with pc performance but it could always be better. If I'm not upgrading for awhile, which should be my next upgrade cpu or gpu?

 

Since I'm not a professional with this kind of stuff I am here to share my concern.

 

Thanks for advance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd recommend waiting till ddr5 comes out then upgrade to a platform which supports it.  If its a tactical upgrade your going for but that setup is pretty balanced overall

 


If you judge a fish based on its ability to climb trees it will go its whole life thinking its a failure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lttdotcom said:

Hello fellas.

 

Since those nvidia 3000 series gpus are coming and amd 4000 series, I have been wondering that should I upgrade cpu or gpu or even both. I play with 1080p but don't really know if 1440p is worth the money. I built my first pc year ago and wasn't quite satisfied with it's performance. My cpu is amd 1600X, gpu 1070 ti clocked to 2ghz. I mean now that I have been gaming with this setup for a year now, I'm used to it and could go with it for like 4 years probably. Gpu usage usually are in the 94-99% and cpu 20-40% depending of the game. I'm perfectionist so I may never be satisfied with pc performance but it could always be better. If I'm not upgrading for awhile, which should be my next upgrade cpu or gpu?

 

Since I'm not a professional with this kind of stuff I am here to share my concern.

 

Thanks for advance.

If you plan on continuing to play on 1080p a current gen gpu and cpu is fine. 


pc specs:
CPU: 
Intel i7 8700K MOBO: ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming RAM: 16GB (2x8) DDR4 G Skill TridentZ 3000 MHz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING OC CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv STORAGE: Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 NVME SSD,
T-Force Delta RGB 250GB SSD, 4TB Seagate Barracuda HDD PSU: 750 Watt EVGA SuperNova G3 MONITERDell S2716DGR 1440p 144hz G-Sync, BenQ PD2700U 4K 60hz CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum OS: Windows 10

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Hmm.. never thought of that, how much greater will the performance be compared to ddr4 in case you know?

Link to post
Share on other sites

a 1070TI should be more than fine for 1080p gaming and the 1600X can probably be updated all the way to a 3950X depending on the motherboard or even support 4000 series Ryzen CPU's at the end of the year. 


Gaming HTPC:

R7 1700X@stock - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - Asus GTX 1080 Strix - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Silverstone SX500-LG - 500gb 960 EVO - Fractal Design Node 202 - Samsung 60KS7090 - Logitech G502 - Thrustmaster T500RS - Noblechairs Icon


Desktop PC:
i7 2600k @stock - H100i GTX - Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe - Asus GTX 1050Ti Strix - 16gb HyperX Fury 1866mhz - EVGA 750G2 - 250gb 840 EVO - 6TB WD My Book Duo (Reds) - Enthoo Evolv ITX - Dell U3415W - Benq XL2411T - Qpad MK-85 Brown - Logitech MX518 - Blue Yeti Platinum - Noblechairs Icon 


Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5* - 
250gb 970 Evo - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

 

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

 

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The frequency is going to be going up a lot, ddr5 can be expected next year. How long can you wait?


pc specs:
CPU: 
Intel i7 8700K MOBO: ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming RAM: 16GB (2x8) DDR4 G Skill TridentZ 3000 MHz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING OC CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv STORAGE: Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 NVME SSD,
T-Force Delta RGB 250GB SSD, 4TB Seagate Barracuda HDD PSU: 750 Watt EVGA SuperNova G3 MONITERDell S2716DGR 1440p 144hz G-Sync, BenQ PD2700U 4K 60hz CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum OS: Windows 10

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Shrekpad said:

The frequency is going to be going up a lot, ddr5 can be expected next year. How long can you wait?

I think I can wait until ddr5 and then build new one from scratch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lttdotcom said:

I think I can wait until ddr5 and then build new one from scratch.

good idea, that cpu still can hold for 2-3 more years.

4000 series will be exciting though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

good idea, that cpu still can hold for 2-3 more years.

4000 series will be exciting though.

Maby, just maby I can hold my horses for a few years. New products are always exciting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Newegg

×