New Dell XPS 13 2020 vs Macbook Pro 13

Looking for a new laptop to replace my 2015 Macbook Pro 13, I mostly use it for college work and lite gaming and video editing. The only thing that keeps me from going 100% with the XPS is should I get the 4k display because I use word alot and it looks better on it or go with 1080p. Also I love mac os, so overall i just need some opinions.   I am in the US

Wait for the new MacBook 13 which should come soon

I think all they are doing is changing the keyboard and display

I would get the XPS because I like windows better and the new design is amazing.

If you prefer macos you should probably wait for the next MBP13.

It's not just the screen and fixing the crappy keyboard, they also will improve the speakers, battery life, touch bar, etc...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4k display should be fantastic, you can use 125%-150% for a bigger crisper text.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I would say go for the XPS 13 because it does not have an idiotic cooling design. There is no heat pipe connecting the heat sink to the fan on the MacBook Air.

2 hours ago, Str787 said:

I think all they are doing is changing the keyboard and display

This alone is worth waiting 2 more Months for this, and making the current Macbook Pro 13" an entire Fail buy.

But yea, if you like MacOS more, wait for the Ma cbook Pro 2020.
If you're fine with Windows, consider the XPS (Just don'T expect a Trackpad of similar quality).

The main advantage with 4k over 1080p is more Pixels = more space = more windows / Documents at the same time.

13" is way too small to actually really benefit from that, other than quite minimal. So i wonder, if that's really beneficial.
If you're not as close as 20-30cm from the Display, you probably won't have sharpness issues with 1080p, while 4k will consume alot more power.

The 2560x1600 on the Macbook Pro is kinda a good Sweet spot.

53 minutes ago, panzersharkcat said:

I would say go for the XPS 13 because it does not have an idiotic cooling design. There is no heat pipe connecting the heat sink to the fan on the MacBook Air.

Except noone mentioned the Macbook Air, this is about the Macbook Pro^^

1 hour ago, Darkseth said:

This alone is worth waiting 2 more Months for this, and making the current Macbook Pro 13" an entire Fail buy.

But yea, if you like MacOS more, wait for the Ma cbook Pro 2020.
If you're fine with Windows, consider the XPS (Just don'T expect a Trackpad of similar quality).

The main advantage with 4k over 1080p is more Pixels = more space = more windows / Documents at the same time.

13" is way too small to actually really benefit from that, other than quite minimal. So i wonder, if that's really beneficial.
If you're not as close as 20-30cm from the Display, you probably won't have sharpness issues with 1080p, while 4k will consume alot more power.

The 2560x1600 on the Macbook Pro is kinda a good Sweet spot.

I agree, I will wait until they release the new MacBook Pro and then I will see if it has more advantages over the XPS....in my opinion the XPS looks 1000 times better honestly 

2 hours ago, Darkseth said:

D'oh! Ignore what I said, then. The new MacBook Pro should be fine. Key travel is a little short for my liking, if it's anything like the 16" MacBook Pro's, but other than that, it seems to be pretty solid.

Well, the new XPS isn't a bad choice regardless. Especially since they went to 16:10.

Tbh, i think the main Advantage the 2020 Macbook Pro will offer is: MacOS (And maybe the awesome Touchpad)
If you don't "need/want" that, you should be very happy with the Dell.

13 hours ago, Str787 said:

I agree, I will wait until they release the new MacBook Pro and then I will see if it has more advantages over the XPS....in my opinion the XPS looks 1000 times better honestly 

You get MaOS, better build quality and the touchpad with the MacBook. Not a fan of the XPS and a 4K screen on a 13" laptop is a waste and nothing but a battery drain. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?