Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WhyKillWill

Is there a way to throttle an APU to deal with overheating?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I recently put together a PC using secondhand parts. This system idles hot at about 58 degrees and under a 50% load it shoots up to 90 degrees. The heat-sink is stock and weak so I ordered a new one however its not expected to be delivered until May 5th. Any Ideas on how I can limit the processor or reduce heat in the time being?

Specs:
  Motherboard: F2A88XM-D3HP
  CPU :  AMD A10-7850K Radeon R7

PSU: EVGA 450 BT

GPU:
      AMD Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics (not sure if this should go here but its currently disabled)
      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

MEMORY: a generic DDR3 8gb stick

STORAGE: MKNSSDSR500BG

I would say start with a negative voltage offset in the BIOS, and also reduce the clock speeds of your graphics card by a lot so that it throws less heat into the case. Not like you'd be losing GPU performance anyhow, since the CPU is already holding it back.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad