Upgrade Gtx 970?

Hi all, 

Looking for some thoughts on whether to upgrade from a 970 to 2060 / 5600XT or upgrade my CPU ram and mobo to Ryzen 5 platform. Due to budget constraints would it be worthwhile? 

My question more specifically is, at this point in time (human malware ongoing etc) to upgrade or to wait until the new chips come out in Autumn / fall with a new system entirely (cpu + gpu). 

Specs:

4690k OC 4400 Ghz

CM hyper 212 turbo 

10GB ddr3 1333 (a stick died) 

Asus gtx 970 (blower style) 

Any thoughts much appreciated. 

Thanks 

My opinion - don't upgrade till this blows over, while you still have the cash.  At least, Im personally not making any tech investments until this is done.

If you have to upgrade cause that itch (which I love to scratch too) I would go with the 2060 only because of the debacle with the 5600XT firmware, and driver issues with this release of AMD cards.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

So first of what memory configuration do you currently have with 10 GB is it 4 + 4 + 2?

You should have even pairs for dual channel, otherwise you loose some performance.

Now to your main question, a 2060 or 2060 Super would be a good fit for you CPU before upgrading to newer platform. Because of the drivers I's stay away from AMD but that's a personal preference right now and may change in the future.

id say, stick with your current setup. its pretty hard to have no cash these days (trust me. i know) just keep it for now, save it just in case. we already had about 2 month extension in the lockdown period. that means no job for 2 months. money will be a problem. unless you are rich and have steady source of income in this crisis. 

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

As of RN, i would not be spending money on a GPU upgrade. If you really have to, then a 2060, because the 5600XT does have a couple of firmware issues which might be a bit of a hassle, but honestly, just dont buy anything until this blows over, because parts are getting price inflated and youll be cut off some extra money you couldve saved if you had kept it.

also if you are going to get a whole new setup when the 3000s and 4000s come out, that might be a bit out of your budget, since youre basically looking at a brand new PC.

stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

i game so i know a bit abt gaming tech, not much abt professional tech.

writing this as i finish a 3 hour D2 sesh so excuse anything wrong.

43 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

So first of what memory configuration do you currently have with 10 GB is it 4 + 4 + 2?

You should have even pairs for dual channel, otherwise you loose some performance.

Now to your main question, a 2060 or 2060 Super would be a good fit for you CPU before upgrading to newer platform. Because of the drivers I's stay away from AMD but that's a personal preference right now and may change in the future.

Thanks all for your responses, much appreciated. 

Lockdown is definitely causing me to look to buy but you're right when you say wait due to personal finances and general market volatility. 

I'm running dual channel 4 + 4 and then a single 2GB stick. 

I saw an Asus TUF 5700xt for £300 but as you say, it's riddled with driver issues and this particular model runs toasty on the VRMs.

Fyi I have a 27 inch 1440p 144hz monitor from Ebuyer's own Element Gaming line so would be looking to utilise this resolution / frame rate when I do buy. 

Thanks