Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WerkWurk

Advice needed for video editing PC build

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So i plan to build a media platform capable of 4K video editing without any major hiccups and possibly music production for use around 2021, and i just wanna make sure there isn't any flaws in the choice of components to the planned build since it will be my 2nd pc build.
It is for professional use and i'm upgrading since my current PC has become a bit 'Jack of all trades' type of thing, and i need a workstation that will keep being a workstation and not a place for entertainment.

I live in Denmark so the price for parts are fairly expensive so i'm relying on sales a little bit, but i am willing to spend something equivalent to 2.000-3.000USD 

Might also purchase a new monitor that is rated to be in the 90 to 99% color correct to accompany the build, and i'm thinking a 32" widescreen or similar will do just fine.
Don't need to buy new keyboard or mouse since i will re-use some of the minor thing I already have.

But the spec of the PC build would look something like this:

Cooling - Air cooling is the preferred choice and i've been happy with Noctua in the past. 
CPU - Ryzen 9 3900x 
GPU - Nvidia RTX 2070S (Super)
SSD (OS drive) - Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB
HDD (General storage) - Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB
2nd HDD (Media Storage) - Not quite sure about this one yet as it need to hold a lot of storage but also write/read fast while being durable.
RAM - 2x16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz C15 (Or C16)
MOBO - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi)
PC Case - Nothing fancy as long it is sound proof. Don't need anything RGB.

Feel free to recommend parts that might work better for my build since i'm not an expert in pc builds. I only have knowledge enough to build pc's but not on finding the parts that will work well together.

Also thank you guys in advance that wanna help me! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

The part selection looks good. With your budget you might be able to squeeze a 2080 super in there but the 2070 super is still a good card. Considering you’re going for the 3950x, you might also want to invest in a higher clock speed ram like 3800 or 4000 if your motherboard will support it as amd can really take advantage of fast ram. Good luck with the build!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 minutes ago, Quadrum said:

The part selection looks good. With your budget you might be able to squeeze a 2080 super in there but the 2070 super is still a good card. Considering you’re going for the 3950x, you might also want to invest in a higher clock speed ram like 3800 or 4000 if your motherboard will support it as amd can really take advantage of fast ram. Good luck with the build!

Sadly i would not be able to go for the 3950x and the 2080 super since these two pc parts alone could easily break my budget where i live (the country with high taxes and overpriced tech) if I want everything on the list -.-' 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WerkWurk said:

Sadly i would not be able to go for the 3950x and the 2080 super since these two pc parts alone could easily break my budget where i live (the country with high taxes and overpriced tech) if I want everything on the list -.-' 

What is your budget in Danish Kr ? As there is a Denmark option on pcpartpicker.

 

What software are you using for video editing ?


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WerkWurk said:

for use around 2021

 

Far too early to spec out a build for next year. Both pricing and available technology will likely change a great deal in the next six months.

 

Some general comments on the OP build:

  • Consider a less expensive motherboard. Something along the lines of the Asus Prime Pro series.
  • Then Zen 2 cpu are better matched with DDR4-3600 CL 16 memory.
  • Consider a different storage scheme. Perhaps using more of the budget. I'd suggest at least two nvme drives, o/s and working storage along with a large amount of hdd storage for media not currently being worked on.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
20 hours ago, lee32uk said:

What is your budget in Danish Kr ? As there is a Denmark option on pcpartpicker.

 

What software are you using for video editing ?

My budget in DKK would be 15.000 BUT it is flexible and can be stretched to around 20.000

Adobe premiere and occasionally Davinci Resolve which has a bit of being resource heavy because of the fancy UI and not so great coding.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
20 hours ago, brob said:

 

Far too early to spec out a build for next year. Both pricing and available technology will likely change a great deal in the next six months.

 

Some general comments on the OP build:

  • Consider a less expensive motherboard. Something along the lines of the Asus Prime Pro series.
  • Then Zen 2 cpu are better matched with DDR4-3600 CL 16 memory.
  • Consider a different storage scheme. Perhaps using more of the budget. I'd suggest at least two nvme drives, o/s and working storage along with a large amount of hdd storage for media not currently being worked on.

True but it's unlikely i'm going to work with 8K footage within the next couple of years, so i'm fine with last year technology as long it is powerful enough to smoothly endure 4K rendering.

Never had NVMe storage before so i don't know how stable it is, but the suggestion seems logic :)
About the motherboard i literally just googled "what motherboard works best with Ryzen 9 3900x" and the one on the list popped up. I'll take a look on the other cheaper options if it works just fine with the cpu etc. Been with intel CPU's since my first PC.
Yeah i thought about a Seagate drive or WD Black 8TB for file media storage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WerkWurk said:

My budget in DKK would be 15.000 BUT it is flexible and can be stretched to around 20.000

Adobe premiere and occasionally Davinci Resolve which has a bit of being resource heavy because of the fancy UI and not so great coding.

Lots of good info/resources on Puget systems. 

 

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Premiere-Pro-143/Hardware-Recommendations

 

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-DaVinci-Resolve-187/Hardware-Recommendations


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×