Ryzen 3600 help please

Go to solution Solved by bellabichon,

Unfortunately, if your system is running fine with another CPU installed, that's most likely an issue with your 3600. I would try reaching out to AMD to see if there's any more troubleshooting steps you can take that you haven't tried yet. If you're convinced that your CPU is broken, you can try applying for warranty service on AMD's website. 

Right before the Red Dead Redemption 2 PC launch I upgraded my existing hardware from a Ryzen 1600 to the Ryzen 3600, added faster memory and updated the bios accordingly. Fast forward a few months and everything's been working great, no issues. Today while watching YouTube my computer shuts down and restarts, fans go to 100% like normal but no display at all. I've tried swapping GPUs, reseating and swapping memory, unplugging every drive and external connection that wasn't essential, cleared CMOS nothing worked until I tried swapping in the old 1600, everything fires right up tells me there's a hardware change and I adjust to it and restart. I get normal startup then desktop. Swap back in the 3600, same thing as before, no boot. At this point I'm thinking about getting a new mobo (cause I wanted one anyway hoping this hoping this is a weird mobo issue even though it's not logical lol) but I don't want to jump the shark since I don't know if my 3600 is dead or defective. I don't have access to another mobo to test the cpu to further troubleshoot. Really sorry for the long story but I wanted to give as much info as possible. Thanks for any help. 

I'm running

Ryzen 3600

16gb Corsair RGB Pro 3200

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic 

Gigabyte GTX 1070

EVGA 850BQ PSU

Unfortunately, if your system is running fine with another CPU installed, that's most likely an issue with your 3600. I would try reaching out to AMD to see if there's any more troubleshooting steps you can take that you haven't tried yet. If you're convinced that your CPU is broken, you can try applying for warranty service on AMD's website. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Seems like the CPU just quit. Otherwise using the 1600 shouldn't let the system boot up either.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

23 minutes ago, Paul_the_Hutt said:

I don't have access to another mobo to test the cpu to further troubleshoot

get a newer/used or brand new motherboard.  Then you will know where the issue is, at which point you can get your 3600 replaced if it is defective, then you can just keep the old mb or sell it on ebay or something

Just now, TylerDurden! said:

get a newer/used or brand new motherboard.  Then you will know where the issue is, at which point you can get your 3600 replaced if it is defective, then you can just keep the old mb or sell it on ebay or something

I hate to say it, but getting a new motherboard is probably going to be a waste of time. Like @Jurrunio said, the fact that the system boots with the 1600 installed points to this being a CPU problem rather than a motherboard one. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

26 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

20 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

I hate to say it, but getting a new motherboard is probably going to be a waste of time. Like @Jurrunio said, the fact that the system boots with the 1600 installed points to this being a CPU problem rather than a motherboard one. 

Thanks for the help so far. I just went to the link and went through the claim process. Anyone have any experience with this kinda thing in regards to a time line for replacement? 

You ran cpu stock or with oc? Stock cooler? What temps generally when gaming?

7 hours ago, lafrente said:

You ran cpu stock or with oc? Stock cooler? What temps generally when gaming?

It's oc with amd master software but all I do is hit one of the presets and let it go. Stock cooler, usually around 60c

7 hours ago, Paul_the_Hutt said:

It's oc with amd master software but all I do is hit one of the presets and let it go. Stock cooler, usually around 60c

Have you had hwinfo recording the max temps during gaming? It's impossible to oc with stock cooler and get 60c when gaming. With stock cooler you normally see 75+ degrees even without oc. It must be bad overclock and high temps.

2 minutes ago, lafrente said:

Have you had hwinfo recording the max temps during gaming? It's impossible to oc with stock cooler and get 60c when gaming. With stock cooler you normally see 75+ degrees even without oc. It must be bad overclock and high temps.

I have, I love hwinfo, that's where I get my temps from. I keep my room cold and have a lot of fans. Maybe that's why. My temps have always been low. Now on hot days with no a/c running I see higher for sure. 

5 minutes ago, Paul_the_Hutt said:

I have, I love hwinfo, that's where I get my temps from. I keep my room cold and have a lot of fans. Maybe that's why. My temps have always been low. Now on hot days with no a/c running I see higher for sure. 

Interesting because 99% of people with stock coolers & no oc see over 60c even sitting at desktop.  

Just now, lafrente said:

Interesting because 99% of people with stock coolers & no oc see over 60c even sitting at desktop.  

I'm thinking it's more to do with the cold room. I have a fan in there in addition to the a/c. Only time I've seen higher temps is a cpu specific stress test. It got hot but nothing unaccessible. 

Just a quick update. Monday morning they sent an email asking a couple of questions then today they sent me a follow up with packing instructions etc., along with a return label. So as soon as I can I'll be sending it off.