help choosing processor for a new build

i have a about 600 to spend on the cpu for a new build i was looking at the i9 9900k or the 3900x.i havent really kept up with the current stuff so i was wondering whats the pros and cons of each.also it will be used purely for gaming if that helps any

What is your motherboard you have in mind 

what will you be doing with this pc

11 minutes ago, mash104 said:

i have a about 600 to spend on the cpu for a new build i was looking at the i9 9900k or the 3900x.i havent really kept up with the current stuff so i was wondering whats the pros and cons of each.also it will be used purely for gaming if that helps any

The i9-9900k (use the ks if you go with it) Is amazing for gaming, and literally nothing else. This doesn't come with a stock cooler, so you need to buy one.The 3900x is a great all-rounder, and ships with a stock cpu cooler, which will cover you unless you plan on trying to get the max performance out of the cpu, or overclock.

What are you doing with the build? What are the other components? Especially RAM, Mobo, and the GPU

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

3 minutes ago, InnerBeast Gaming said:

The i9-9900k (use the ks if you go with it) Is amazing for gaming, and literally nothing else. This doesn't come with a stock cooler, so you need to buy one.

The 3900x is a great all-rounder, and ships with a stock cpu cooler, which will cove ryou unless you plan on trying to get the max performance out of the cpu, or overclock.

What are you doing with the build? What are the other components? Especially RAM, Mobo, and the GPU

I agree, I would definitely get an i9-9900k. In general, they do not differ from eachother that much. However, Im always more keen to CoffeeLake series.

BOLD not ITALIC

4 minutes ago, Oliver oni said:

I agree, I would definitely get an i9-9900k. In general, they do not differ from eachother that much. However, Im always more keen to CoffeeLake series.

? Yes they do differ.  By 4 cores and 8 threads, and a stock cooler. Very few people in their right mind would really recommend a 9900k over the 3900x unless it was for gaming, or for a task that prefers intel hardware. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

21 minutes ago, InnerBeast Gaming said:

? Yes they do differ.  By 4 cores and 8 threads, and a stock cooler. Very few people in their right mind would really recommend a 9900k over the 3900x unless it was for gaming, or for a task that prefers intel hardware. 

He did mention that the computer is used purely for gaming tho.

BOLD not ITALIC

51 minutes ago, ISHAJDM said:

What is your motherboard you have in mind 

what will you be doing with this pc

47 minutes ago, InnerBeast Gaming said:

The i9-9900k (use the ks if you go with it) Is amazing for gaming, and literally nothing else. This doesn't come with a stock cooler, so you need to buy one.The 3900x is a great all-rounder, and ships with a stock cpu cooler, which will cover you unless you plan on trying to get the max performance out of the cpu, or overclock.

i haven't decided on motherboard yet because i haven't chose witch cpu.and i will just be gaming on it.

1 hour ago, mash104 said:

cpu for a new build i was looking at the i9 9900k or the 3900x... will be used purely for gaming if that helps any

then i would suggest a 9700K or a 3700X and buy something else with the money.

If you really dont care then i would go with the 9900K hands down.

3700X with a nice B450 motherboard and some 3600mhz DDR4 would be my pick...especially if that allow you to

bring home say a nicer monitor, or a VR headset for example...

I also assume that if you spend that much on the CPU you at least have an RTX 2080 in your basket.

IF you answered no to those questions then go to even a R5 3600 / B450 and get some of those...

IF you dont care and you can afford all the above...get the 9900K with some fast memory and a sweet sweet motherboard ;)

Have fun!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR