Router needs rebooting daily.

GOW2

I have a synology rt2600ac router that needs to be rebooted daily. My wireless IP Cameras video feed will drop in and out until i do a reboot of the router then they are fine for another day. All the wireless cameras are the exact same models.

I've never noticed any issues with my phone, tablet etc but they are not used 24/7 like a IP camera. My wired cameras never drop signal. They use 2.4Ghz and i have no other networks / neighbors around to get interference.

I have around 30 devices connected to my router most are hardwired i've never had any issues other than my wireless cameras dropping signal. The cameras report the signal at 80%...

So is it the cameras or router? :)

2 hours ago, GOW2 said:

I have a synology rt2600ac router that needs to be rebooted daily. My wireless IP Cameras video feed will drop in and out until i do a reboot of the router then they are fine for another day. All the wireless cameras are the exact same models.

I've never noticed any issues with my phone, tablet etc but they are not used 24/7 like a IP camera. My wired cameras never drop signal. They use 2.4Ghz and i have no other networks / neighbors around to get interference.

I have around 30 devices connected to my router most are hardwired i've never had any issues other than my wireless cameras dropping signal. The cameras report the signal at 80%...

So is it the cameras or router? :)

What make/model of cameras are you using?

Are your cameras assigned static or dynamic IPs?

Which other devices connect to your 2.4GHz signal?

8 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

What make/model of cameras are you using?

Are your cameras assigned static or dynamic IPs?

Which other devices connect to your 2.4GHz signal?

They are Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW.

They use static IP's.

Not many are using the 2.4 Ghz, smart thermostat is all i can think of.

3 hours ago, GOW2 said:

They are Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW.

They use static IP's.

Not many are using the 2.4 Ghz, smart thermostat is all i can think of.

While I don't use wireless surveillance cameras, I would prefer a wired/PoE system for the sake of reliability. A camera system that needs to be recording 24/7 needs a steady connection. Yes, there will be instances where a wired connection might be too far and a few wireless cameras should be OK, but not all of them.

That Synology wireless router is supposed to be one of the better out-of-the-box (a.k.a. no third party firmware needed) network devices out there, but your setup might be be outgrowing what it can handle. Try the following:

1. Make sure to apply any firmware updates from Synology and take a look at the CPU/memory usage of the router when most of your devices are online.
  2. Also, if it is possible, temporarily disconnect the smart thermostat and any other network devices from the 2.4GHz connection and only let your wireless cameras utilize it for a full day or two while you monitor for disconnects.
  3. Try changing your 2.4GHz SSID name to something that doesn't match the SSID name of the 5GHz channel. If your IoT gear are the only ones there, use something like 'MyWifi-IoT'. Some routers will replicate SSID names for all wireless radio broadcasts on default setup to allow your devices to easily switch, but you don't want this in your case. Then configure your cameras to connect to that IoT SSID. If you find that you have a more stable connection after trying this, it might be a sign that you need a dedicated access point just for your wireless cameras.

On 4/10/2020 at 11:07 AM, Falcon1986 said:

While I don't use wireless surveillance cameras, I would prefer a wired/PoE system for the sake of reliability. A camera system that needs to be recording 24/7 needs a steady connection. Yes, there will be instances where a wired connection might be too far and a few wireless cameras should be OK, but not all of them.

That Synology wireless router is supposed to be one of the better out-of-the-box (a.k.a. no third party firmware needed) network devices out there, but your setup might be be outgrowing what it can handle. Try the following:

1. Make sure to apply any firmware updates from Synology and take a look at the CPU/memory usage of the router when most of your devices are online.
  2. Also, if it is possible, temporarily disconnect the smart thermostat and any other network devices from the 2.4GHz connection and only let your wireless cameras utilize it for a full day or two while you monitor for disconnects.
  3. Try changing your 2.4GHz SSID name to something that doesn't match the SSID name of the 5GHz channel. If your IoT gear are the only ones there, use something like 'MyWifi-IoT'. Some routers will replicate SSID names for all wireless radio broadcasts on default setup to allow your devices to easily switch, but you don't want this in your case. Then configure your cameras to connect to that IoT SSID. If you find that you have a more stable connection after trying this, it might be a sign that you need a dedicated access point just for your wireless cameras.

All my other IP cams are hardwired 14 in total, i have zero issues with them.

The CPU on the router averages 35% with spikes up to 55% the Memory sits around 35-45%.

This router uses "smart connect" which only shows one SSID for the 2.4 and 5 Ghz band it then picks the band for said device.

This can be turned off to show 2.4  and 5 Ghz, i think i will try it and see what happens and connect the  wireless cams to the 2.4 SSID.

well less than 24 hours later it still does it.

41 minutes ago, GOW2 said:

well less than 24 hours later it still does it.

Are there other 2.4GHz wireless networks in the neighborhood utilizing the same/overlapping channels? Run a WiFi analyzer app (free at Microsoft store or on your phone's app store).

34 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Are there other 2.4GHz wireless networks in the neighborhood utilizing the same/overlapping channels? Run a WiFi analyzer app (free at Microsoft store or on your phone's app store).

I live in a rural area so there is none. I get a few faint signals that come and go but nothing strong. Maybe it is time for a new router :(

23 minutes ago, GOW2 said:

I live in a rural area so there is none. I get a few faint signals that come and go but nothing strong. Maybe it is time for a new router :(

Yeah, seems to be looking so. I'd recommend you get one dedicated to your WiFi cameras.

Just one last thing: what kind of wireless security and encryption are you using on the 2.4GHz wireless signal? And what is the interval for renewal?

1 hour ago, Falcon1986 said:

Yeah, seems to be looking so. I'd recommend you get one dedicated to your WiFi cameras.

Just one last thing: what kind of wireless security and encryption are you using on the 2.4GHz wireless signal? And what is the interval for renewal?

What do you mean dedicated wifi for the cameras? There own wifi router?

I'm using wpa2 personal. renewal? They have static IP assigned to them.

I do have a old netgear r7000 it is slower than the synology, i stopped using it because netgear took forever to update it's VPN.

Falcon what do you suggest for a router? It needs a VPN and it would be nice if i could assign names to the devices connected to it.

Thanks for your time.

1 hour ago, GOW2 said:

What do you mean dedicated wifi for the cameras? There own wifi router?

Yes. The R7000 on stock firmware should be fine. I have the same router that I just use as switches now. Firmware v1.0.7.12 is claimed to be the best stable release.

You're passing your camera feed through a VPN?

1 hour ago, GOW2 said:

I'm using wpa2 personal. renewal?

AES or TKIP? Renewal as in key renewal time.

14 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Yes. The R7000 on stock firmware should be fine. I have the same router that I just use as switches now. Firmware v1.0.7.12 is claimed to be the best stable release.

You're passing your camera feed through a VPN?

AES or TKIP? Renewal as in key renewal time.

AES key time rotation 3600

On 4/12/2020 at 5:34 PM, GOW2 said:

AES key time rotation 3600

Hello, I have the same router with a doorbell camera (RCA) powered by the doorbell transformer.  I drop connection often but I’ve isolated it to the transformer. Perhaps your camera has bad power?

another thing I’ve noticed, WiFi and only WiFi spikes for no apparent reason. I can not resolve this issue, but it might also be happening to you and the camera just tries to ‘reconnect’ ?

if you figure anything out let us know! Good luck

14 hours ago, Blahx said:

Hello, I have the same router with a doorbell camera (RCA) powered by the doorbell transformer.  I drop connection often but I’ve isolated it to the transformer. Perhaps your camera has bad power?

another thing I’ve noticed, WiFi and only WiFi spikes for no apparent reason. I can not resolve this issue, but it might also be happening to you and the camera just tries to ‘reconnect’ ?

if you figure anything out let us know! Good luck

I haven't figured it out yet, i have 4 of the same camera models that do the exact same thing at the same time.

I even have one of these cameras at a different location and it never drops signal only difference is i use a netgear router at that house and it is just down the road 1/2 mile away.

Right now i just have the router setup to reboot itself at night.

On 4/19/2020 at 8:46 AM, GOW2 said:

I haven't figured it out yet, i have 4 of the same camera models that do the exact same thing at the same time.

I even have one of these cameras at a different location and it never drops signal only difference is i use a netgear router at that house and it is just down the road 1/2 mile away.

Right now i just have the router setup to reboot itself at night.

Might get more specialized help in the synology forums. 

only other idea is try testing without threat prevention turned on

On 4/20/2020 at 6:44 PM, Blahx said:

Might get more specialized help in the synology forums. 

only other idea is try testing without threat prevention turned on

I did everyone just blames the cameras or says use hard wired because wireless is so unreliable.

This weekend I decided to use my Roku which is a older model that uses the 2.4 radio and it to would drop signal or pop up saying there is no internet then would do a test and the internet would be back.

Now I know it’s not my cameras. It’s a shame since I liked all the features this router had at its price point.

I may go back to netgear, still undecided.

7 hours ago, GOW2 said:

This weekend I decided to use my Roku which is a older model that uses the 2.4 radio and it to would drop signal or pop up saying there is no internet then would do a test and the internet would be back.

Now I know it’s not my cameras. It’s a shame since I liked all the features this router had at its price point.

I may go back to netgear, still undecided.

The only other suggestion is to limit the WiFi clients to 100mbps . That reduced a lot  of my lag using Remote Desktop for work.  It don’t have the disconnect issues though. 

I have not given up yet!

something else I noticed is that when the Roku and cameras start dropping signal the link rate reported by the router will go to marginal.....reboot the router then it goes back to good or excellent.

Does that make any sense?