Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
will01gt

PC Black Screening Please HELP

Recommended Posts

Log few hours or at least through 2-3 crashes if they happen  and we'll see what's what


Ryzen 5 3600 || Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2060 Super || B450A-PRO || G.SKILL Ripjaws 3200MHz CL15 2x8GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
47 minutes ago, shark103 said:

One last thing to rule out the PSU cause it is not going away from my mind and that to chech 12V rail.

Download OpenHardwareMonitor - enable logging data under options - maybe for your mobo it will show 12v on my system it doesnt so i'm searching for different software. You could use HWmonitor but that doesn't have logging option so it system crashes then we have nothing :| 

2 tests:

- OCCT with power test 

- launch few games

EDIT:
Download HWInfo, even a portable one, launch sensors in it. Start logging > test , game etc and we'll see everything possible that happens :D 

WOW

It hasn't crashed yet

Im not gonna be fooled by this though

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
32 minutes ago, shark103 said:

Log few hours or at least through 2-3 crashes if they happen  and we'll see what's what

Ok so it crashed

This is the file

log help.CSV

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, shark103 said:

Log few hours or at least through 2-3 crashes if they happen  and we'll see what's what

Another note is that if im talking to my friends on discord they can hear me when the screen goes black as audio still plays sometimes for 4 or 5 seconds but then it cuts out

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, will01gt said:

Another note is that if im talking to my friends on discord they can hear me when the screen goes black as audio still plays sometimes for 4 or 5 seconds but then it cuts out

This sound like a problem I saw on those game forums while searching for black screen - most cases got resolved by  bordeless windowed mode :|

34 minutes ago, will01gt said:

Ok so it crashed

This is the file

log help.CSV 1.44 MB · 2 downloads

PSU is ok. Every voltage is in range. Every temp is also ok so that nothing with thermals.

 

Now to fully test RAM, on every step make sure that ram in in the correct slots (1 stick > DIMMA2, 2 sticks > DIMMA2+DIMMB2)

1. Switch stick in slots > memtest > game some

2. take one out > memtest > game some

3. replace with the second one (still on in  mobo) > memtest > game some

If 1 no error, no crash - test some more and be hopefull

Any errors stop testing

Crashes test next step

 

Extra thing - do you have a lot of usb devices connected to your system like controlers etc ? Sometimes this kind on "events" can be usb related, if possible also worth a try to use different keyboard,mouse for testing as we are stepping closer and closer to - ffs i don't  have any more ideas whats wrong.


Ryzen 5 3600 || Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2060 Super || B450A-PRO || G.SKILL Ripjaws 3200MHz CL15 2x8GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
35 minutes ago, shark103 said:

This sound like a problem I saw on those game forums while searching for black screen - most cases got resolved by  bordeless windowed mode :|

PSU is ok. Every voltage is in range. Every temp is also ok so that nothing with thermals.

 

Now to fully test RAM, on every step make sure that ram in in the correct slots (1 stick > DIMMA2, 2 sticks > DIMMA2+DIMMB2)

1. Switch stick in slots > memtest > game some

2. take one out > memtest > game some

3. replace with the second one (still on in  mobo) > memtest > game some

If 1 no error, no crash - test some more and be hopefull

Any errors stop testing

Crashes test next step

 

Extra thing - do you have a lot of usb devices connected to your system like controlers etc ? Sometimes this kind on "events" can be usb related, if possible also worth a try to use different keyboard,mouse for testing as we are stepping closer and closer to - ffs i don't  have any more ideas whats wrong.

I’ve tested them together with memtest 86 and no errors

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, shark103 said:

This sound like a problem I saw on those game forums while searching for black screen - most cases got resolved by  bordeless windowed mode :|

PSU is ok. Every voltage is in range. Every temp is also ok so that nothing with thermals.

 

Now to fully test RAM, on every step make sure that ram in in the correct slots (1 stick > DIMMA2, 2 sticks > DIMMA2+DIMMB2)

1. Switch stick in slots > memtest > game some

2. take one out > memtest > game some

3. replace with the second one (still on in  mobo) > memtest > game some

If 1 no error, no crash - test some more and be hopefull

Any errors stop testing

Crashes test next step

 

Extra thing - do you have a lot of usb devices connected to your system like controlers etc ? Sometimes this kind on "events" can be usb related, if possible also worth a try to use different keyboard,mouse for testing as we are stepping closer and closer to - ffs i don't  have any more ideas whats wrong.

I have keyboard mouse mousepad headset that’s it

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, will01gt said:

I’ve tested them together with memtest 86 and no errors

all 3 ram "combos" ? 

 

50 minutes ago, will01gt said:

I have keyboard mouse mousepad headset that’s it

and all of that always attached to system ? 

ditch mousepad and headset for start and test later if you can use different keyboard / mouse

 

 

edit:
make sure that all power cables from PSU are connected all the way into mobo in both placed, gpu etc - different  topic someone just found that he didn't have one cable plugged all the way :)

Edited by shark103

Ryzen 5 3600 || Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2060 Super || B450A-PRO || G.SKILL Ripjaws 3200MHz CL15 2x8GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 hours ago, shark103 said:

all 3 ram "combos" ? 

 

and all of that always attached to system ? 

ditch mousepad and headset for start and test later if you can use different keyboard / mouse

 

 

edit:
make sure that all power cables from PSU are connected all the way into mobo in both placed, gpu etc - different  topic someone just found that he didn't have one cable plugged all the way :)

I'll try all this

 

Also somebody sent me this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/troubleshoot-event-id-41-restart

 

This indicates I have scenario 3 which in my case is a hardware problem

But what do you think as i have sent the event viewer pages

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, will01gt said:

I'll try all this

 

Also somebody sent me this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/troubleshoot-event-id-41-restart

 

This indicates I have scenario 3 which in my case is a hardware problem

But what do you think as i have sent the event viewer pages

I've seen all that on MS site - that's why I wanted you to hit it with synthetic load and wanted those logs. From what i see there it doesn't seem like PSU fault but I cannot be sure in 100% as you PSU is on the lower side on quality for such a system.

 

One problem with synthetic load compared to games is that the load gradually increases and in game it's a sudden spike. 

 

edit: Idea of unpluging all usb devices and using different ones is based on one of the errors from event viewer - "Error setting traits on Provider" if you would google the id after this text you would stumble on a lot of information about this being a problem with usb devices, usb controllers etc.

One more thing you could try is to get best possible drivers for chipset, usb controller and things like that  - for this task i would use a small piece of software called Snappy Driver Installer. I've used it with good effect on a lot of system, to be safe always install max 1-2 drivers and one time and create restore points.


Ryzen 5 3600 || Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2060 Super || B450A-PRO || G.SKILL Ripjaws 3200MHz CL15 2x8GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 4/11/2020 at 5:26 PM, shark103 said:

I've seen all that on MS site - that's why I wanted you to hit it with synthetic load and wanted those logs. From what i see there it doesn't seem like PSU fault but I cannot be sure in 100% as you PSU is on the lower side on quality for such a system.

 

One problem with synthetic load compared to games is that the load gradually increases and in game it's a sudden spike. 

 

edit: Idea of unpluging all usb devices and using different ones is based on one of the errors from event viewer - "Error setting traits on Provider" if you would google the id after this text you would stumble on a lot of information about this being a problem with usb devices, usb controllers etc.

One more thing you could try is to get best possible drivers for chipset, usb controller and things like that  - for this task i would use a small piece of software called Snappy Driver Installer. I've used it with good effect on a lot of system, to be safe always install max 1-2 drivers and one time and create restore points.

Right I've done individual memory tests and nothing came up

And I let it run for a few days and it hasn't crashed yet

Until now

I guess I'm back here for any ideas

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, will01gt said:

Right I've done individual memory tests and nothing came up

And I let it run for a few days and it hasn't crashed yet

Until now

I guess I'm back here for any ideas

Still almost only crashing on those 2 games ?

Did you try with updating chipset drivers etc via snappy ?

Did you tried anything with peripherals ?

Did you look at drive health - eg Crystal Disk Info ?

 

Beside what's above all all earlier things - I'm out of ideas and leaning fully to PSU fault as it may not be able to handle spikes in load, problem with it only havving one 8pin


Ryzen 5 3600 || Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2060 Super || B450A-PRO || G.SKILL Ripjaws 3200MHz CL15 2x8GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
22 hours ago, shark103 said:

Still almost only crashing on those 2 games ?

Did you try with updating chipset drivers etc via snappy ?

Did you tried anything with peripherals ?

Did you look at drive health - eg Crystal Disk Info ?

 

Beside what's above all all earlier things - I'm out of ideas and leaning fully to PSU fault as it may not be able to handle spikes in load, problem with it only havving one 8pin

Only on these two games now

However windows has started freezing randomly as well every 4+ hours

I have not yet tried snappy and will now

Crystal disk said the bigger ssd windows is on is at 100% health and the older 970 evo is at 98% health

Also for notes I have 400gb free on bigger ssd out of 1800gb

and the other has 50gb out of 450gb

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, will01gt said:

Only on these two games now

However windows has started freezing randomly as well every 4+ hours

I have not yet tried snappy and will now

Crystal disk said the bigger ssd windows is on is at 100% health and the older 970 evo is at 98% health

Also for notes I have 400gb free on bigger ssd out of 1800gb

and the other has 50gb out of 450gb

If you have at least 10gb on windows partition and updates up to date(no 10gb+ updates in que) then free space is not an issue for sure.

Randomly when it's on for more than aprox 4hours or randomly and 4+ hours is aprox from a day/two ? 

 

Is the psu under warranty ? 


Ryzen 5 3600 || Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2060 Super || B450A-PRO || G.SKILL Ripjaws 3200MHz CL15 2x8GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 4/16/2020 at 11:13 PM, shark103 said:

If you have at least 10gb on windows partition and updates up to date(no 10gb+ updates in que) then free space is not an issue for sure.

Randomly when it's on for more than aprox 4hours or randomly and 4+ hours is aprox from a day/two ? 

 

Is the psu under warranty ? 

Windows will freeze every 3 or 4 hours roughly when it’s on (me using it)and I can’t open anything even task manager

i got the psu last about a year and a half ago and has a 5 year warranty
Also it has started crashing as it was before but a bit less frequent so like every 2 hours

also it has started crashing on other games such as modern warfare.

if you didn’t know modern warfare has a reputation for instability, texture issues and refusing to start. This has happened loads with me and I have probably reinstalled it 30 or so times because there is NO fix that will work. I have even tried asking activision. However the problems have only ever been the game would crash or not start. Never has it crashed windows only itself. But is has done twice today.

another thing that has happened is that whilst I was not playing any games I got the new blue screen with the sad face and a percentage saying something went wrong. I got an error code IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

After reboot everything was normal apart from it had changed the version of my GuP drivers to one either from august or October 2018. I updated it but when I went to install new chipset drivers it said it was still on it. I managed to update it then but man it was weird

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/18/2020 at 9:00 PM, will01gt said:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

That can have a lot of underlying causes so it doesn't say much.

 

I'm of out ideas sorry, it's either RAM or PSU.

 

edit: last one tiny thing. You tested RAM module individually  but did you try to run the system with only one for a bit to see if it crashes - then switch modules and try the second one this way. You could call it battle testing not with synthetic loads/tests.

Edited by shark103

Ryzen 5 3600 || Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2060 Super || B450A-PRO || G.SKILL Ripjaws 3200MHz CL15 2x8GB

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Newegg

×