1080 Ti only boosting sometimes while folding

i have a 1080ti and i have found for some WU's the GPU boosts to 3D clocks as expected (around 2025 Mhz sustained).

But other WU's don't push my GPU into 3D boosting clocks.

However if i open something like FurMark for a couple seconds to push the GPU to boost and then stop furmark FAH will maintain boost clocks........super weird anyone experience this? Anyone know how to fix it?

2020-04-09 11_00_10-Window.png

As long as your card isn't stuck at idle clocks (<1000) or thermally constrained I wouldn't worry. It still appears to be 100% utilized at those lower clocks so it's probably working as intended.

Compute work loads are handled differently by the driver. Most GPUs don't try to hit max clocks on certain workloads. Depending on the kind of work, and how it's setup, there might not be much benefit to clocking faster for a particular WU. Some computational work is also more power intensive. So the GPU clocks back a bit to keep power and thermals under control. You can certainly trick it into higher clocks like you did there with Furmark but the gains will be minimal. And you risk causing compute errors that may cause the WU to fail.

1 minute ago, BlueJedi said:

As long as your card isn't stuck at idle clocks (<1000) or thermally constrained I wouldn't worry. It still appears to be 100% utilized at those lower clocks so it's probably working as intended.

Compute work loads are handled differently by the driver. Most GPUs don't try to hit max clocks on certain workloads. Depending on the kind of work, and how it's setup, there might not be much benefit to clocking faster for a particular WU. Some computational work is also more power intensive. So the GPU clocks back a bit to keep power and thermals under control. You can certainly trick it into higher clocks like you did there with Furmark but the gains will be minimal. And you risk causing compute errors that may cause the WU to fail.

The state reported by GPU-Z indicated idle, PPD much lower then when i run furmark to push it up

12 minutes ago, mikefallen said:

The state reported by GPU-Z indicated idle, PPD much lower then when i run furmark to push it up

What clock speed is it hitting before you do that?

PPD estimates are based on TPF, which can vary a lot throughout a WU. How much is TPF going down? Does it stay there? How much is PPD being pushed up on average? 

On 4/9/2020 at 10:02 AM, mikefallen said:

i have a 1080ti and i have found for some WU's the GPU boosts to 3D clocks as expected (around 2025 Mhz sustained).

But other WU's don't push my GPU into 3D boosting clocks.

However if i open something like FurMark for a couple seconds to push the GPU to boost and then stop furmark FAH will maintain boost clocks........super weird anyone experience this? Anyone know how to fix it?

I think the explanation is that different WUs hit your GPU diiferently. Some WUs only simulate 30,000 atoms, while others simulate over 180,000. 

I wouldn't worry about it for now

F@H    EOC