What's the difference between mobile and desktop GPUS and why?

So i know that laptop and desktop GPUS are different because well, you cant use a desktop GPU in a laptop (Excluding the external link thing)

so whats the actual difference? theres no VRAM diff, is it in the clocks, and if so, can you clock a laptop to the desktop standard?

stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

i game so i know a bit abt gaming tech, not much abt professional tech.

writing this as i finish a 3 hour D2 sesh so excuse anything wrong.

1 minute ago, ketchupspill said:

So i know that laptop and desktop GPUS are different because well, you cant use a desktop GPU in a laptop (Excluding the external link thing)

so whats the actual difference? theres no VRAM diff, is it in the clocks, and if so, can you clock a laptop to the desktop standard?

The difference typically isn't in the GPU (the graphics chip), but rather in the entire construction. Think the power methods for example. Also the way it connects (PCIE vs. MXM).

As far as I know, the difference (nowadays) does not come from less CUDA cores and such, but rather the power situation.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

31 minutes ago, minibois said:

The difference typically isn't in the GPU (the graphics chip), but rather in the entire construction. Think the power methods for example. Also the way it connects (PCIE vs. MXM).

As far as I know, the difference (nowadays) does not come from less CUDA cores and such, but rather the power situation.

ah alright. so thats why. but then is it possible to overclock the laptop ver to desktop ver standard, disregarding everything else?

say if (for example, not real cuz i cant rememebr off the top of my head) a laptop 2060 mobile has a base of 1500 mhz and the desktop has 1700.

does this mean (like if the absolute lowest clock for both are the ones mentioned above) that if i overclock the laptop to 1700, that makes it that the laptop is performing above standard because its overclocked, but the desktop is just at normal standard?

stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

Just now, ketchupspill said:

ah alright. so thats why. but then is it possible to overclock the laptop ver to desktop ver standard, disregarding everything else?

say if (for example, not real cuz i cant rememebr off the top of my head) a laptop 2060 mobile has a base of 1500 mhz and the desktop has 1700.

does this mean (like if the absolute lowest clock for both are the ones mentioned above) that if i overclock the laptop to 1700, that makes it that the laptop is performing above standard because its overclocked, but the desktop is just at normal standard?

Probably it can't.

Usually the voltage control is turned off on laptops, meaning there is not much headroom in overclocking. Plus with GPU Boost 2.0, the videocard will try to overclock itself already too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

Probably it can't.

Usually the voltage control is turned off on laptops, meaning there is not much headroom in overclocking. Plus with GPU Boost 2.0, the videocard will try to overclock itself already too.

ah okay. thanks for the reply dude