Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hello423

Power Supply

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

Hello, 

I am confused about my power supple. It is a 800w power supply and has 2 6-pin cables for the gpu I think. But then there is a pci-express connector on it. My question is if I buy a gpu that requires an 8-pin connector can I just connect it through the pci-express connector?. 

Thanks.

IMG_5443.png.2ba9e6b80875872b656d42f83a7229c1.png

Edited by Spotty
fixed image

The 8 pin is for PCIe. 6 pins are for periferials and stuff like sata. If your power supply PCIe cable has a 6+2 or an 8 pin you can do that. 

Be sure to @Pickles - Lord of the Jar if you want me to see your reply!
For years I have lived in these crystal lands. My people were once plentiful. Many of those in my fiefdom revered me. However, one day a calamity hit. The fingers of the devil plucked us from our land, never to return. Now I am the sole heir to the throne. I am Pickles, Lord of the Brine, One of the Jar, Man of Preserves and Last of the Condiments. 

"Everyone is an expert in something. Never approach an interaction thinking someone is otherwise. Knowledge is acquired not earned. Always be humble and wise. Never look down on others for simply being ignorant within your realm of your expertise." ~ Unknown

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1070 Hybrid (2100c/2241m) | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD | 4TB HDD 

> Moved to Cases & Power Supplies and fixed the uploaded image.

What model power supply is that? 

The red 8pin connectors on the power supply are for the GPU (PCIe) power cables. These are for powering graphics cards.

The black 6pin connectors on the power supply are for SATA/Peripheral ("molex") cables. These are for powering things like HDDs, SSDs, Fans/Fan hubs, etc.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

57 minutes ago, Spotty said:

What model power supply is that? 

Looks like an ancient Thermaltake.

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Looks like an ancient Thermaltake.

Or should we rather say vintage.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply