Tablet Help

Mind_001

Is there any tablets out there that come with a custom ROM? The ones I DID find were damn pricey.

I have been looking around on eBay, and yes, there are some, but they all look rather old...

I think Ubuntu on the tablet was scathed long ago. I have read of some others, but to my looking, no one has a pre-made system with custom ROMS.

I do not want to do it myself, as I don't want to spend money on a tablet trying to mess it up.

Help?

It's not a custom ROM if it comes stock, lol

Flashing one isn't that hard. Just follow some instructions on XDA and you'll be fine.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

9 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

It's not a custom ROM if it comes stock, lol

Flashing one isn't that hard. Just follow some instructions on XDA and you'll be fine.

Isn't a "custom ROM" different from stock? Like Lineage, Tizen, or Paranoid? They are their own OS, not a Android-type... Right?

9 hours ago, Mind_001 said:

Isn't a "custom ROM" different from stock? Like Lineage, Tizen, or Paranoid? They are their own OS, not a Android-type... Right?

They are all based on Android.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

13 hours ago, Mind_001 said:

Is there any tablets out there that come with a custom ROM? The ones I DID find were damn pricey.

I have been looking around on eBay, and yes, there are some, but they all look rather old...

I think Ubuntu on the tablet was scathed long ago. I have read of some others, but to my looking, no one has a pre-made system with custom ROMS.

I do not want to do it myself, as I don't want to spend money on a tablet trying to mess it up.

Help?

To my knowledge, there are currently no tablets that run community firmware (what you really mean by "custom ROM") out of the box.

It's pretty simple as to why: support.  Hardware makers are supposed to offer help and updates if there are software problems, but it's a bit tricky to do that when you have even less centralized control than a typical OEM version of Android.  If there's a bug that prevents the camera from working properly, who do you go to?  The tablet maker in the off chance it's a custom driver issue?  Hope someone in the Lineage community fixes it eventually?

The closest I've really seen in recent years was that short-lived Cyanogen OS, but it floundered.

And yes, like huilun02 said, ROMs like Lineage and Paranoid are just different takes on Android.  'Pure' Linux on tablets is pretty much a non-starter, and Tizen even less so.

I'm equally curious as to why you're determined to run this firmware.  I can understand the tinkering impulse, but stock Android (or iPadOS, for that matter) isn't much of a hindrance if you're just trying to get things done!